• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

VHF Motorola Astro Saber Shoulder Mic

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWarlock

Hey everyone,

I am looking to get a Shoulder Mic for a VHF Astro Saber. I have heard the Public Safety Mic is not recommended on a VHF unit. Why is this? Also, should I buy a "OEM" model or do the third parties work just as well.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
you can use it on a VHF ..It will work but you are limited to a stubby antenna also the loss involved in the mini coax in the cable will diminish the output. It is not recommended

TheWarlock

you can use it on a VHF ..It will work but you are limited to a stubby antenna also the loss involved in the mini coax in the cable will diminish the output. It is not recommended

If I use it for receive only as I currently use that radio to monitor a trunked system would it still cause damage to the radio?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pro-91, MTS 2000 800MHz, Astro Saber VHF

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
your not transmitting so it wont damage the radio. Stubby antennas are poor performers as it is. your reception of signals will suffer with the shorter antenna and the loss in the coax. Its always best to use the antenna on the radio

TheWarlock

your not transmitting so it wont damage the radio. Stubby antennas are poor performers as it is. your reception of signals will suffer with the shorter antenna and the loss in the coax. Its always best to use the antenna on the radio

What do you mean by Its always best to use the antenna on the radio

SCPD

QRT
What do you mean by Its always best to use the antenna on the radio

Allot of people would remove the radio antenna snd only use the speaker mic antenna. Going from a 7 inch antenna on the radio removing it to a 2 or 3 inch stub on the shoulder mic.

TheWarlock

Allot of people would remove the radio antenna snd only use the speaker mic antenna. Going from a 7 inch antenna on the radio removing it to a 2 or 3 inch stub on the shoulder mic.

What would happen if I kept the 7 inch VHF antenna on the radio and put a 3 inch 800MHz antenna on the mic. or vice versa would the radio still get the good signal I get on my vhf antenna or does it cancel it out and only use the shoulder mic?

riveter

Premium Subscriber
The thing is: the 'public safety' RSM is designed for a stubby antenna for 700/800 mhz use. Sure, you can get stubby VHF antennas, but they suck. Despite the antenna being mounted at shoulder level rather than waist level, your reception will be a lot worse than using the larger antenna on the radio itself at your waist. That's basically it. There's absolutely no usefulness to having an extra, tiny, unsat antenna up on the RSM. Just looks doofy, performs no extra function (because its signal reception's going to be worse than the larger antenna on vhf nearly all the time).

TheWarlock

The thing is: the 'public safety' RSM is designed for a stubby antenna for 700/800 mhz use. Sure, you can get stubby VHF antennas, but they suck. Despite the antenna being mounted at shoulder level rather than waist level, your reception will be a lot worse than using the larger antenna on the radio itself at your waist. That's basically it. There's absolutely no usefulness to having an extra, tiny, unsat antenna up on the RSM. Just looks doofy, performs no extra function (because its signal reception's going to be worse than the larger antenna on vhf nearly all the time).

In theory could I put a 7 inch antenna on the Shoulder Mic and get a much better signal. So I have one on the radio and one on the mic. for 2X 7 inch vhf antenna

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
The speaker mic connecton on the radio has a micro switch that changes the RF to the speaker mic when using the public safety style mic.They are designed for 800 and UHF not VHF if you were even to put a 7in antenna on the speaker mic it would look ridiculous and if you were wearing it would keep hitting you in the face.

riveter

Premium Subscriber
So from what I am hearing it best I go with a non public safety mic.

Yes, the PS RSM will offer you no advantage over a non-antenna-equipped RSM on VHF, and will present a disadvantage if you use the onboard PS RSM antenna.

As moonboots said right above me in fewer words... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.