• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

VHF MT2000 vs. MTS2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsheli

Hey guys I got a question for ya,
I am looking for a vhf radio and am stuck between the MT2000 and the MTS2000. I want which ever radio I will have the least problems with while programing. The only thing that has me worried about the MTS2000 is the "flashport" feature. I am looking to buy my radio on ebay and would like to buy it with all the features. From what I have read flashport allows you to buy and upgrade features on the radio. If someone could explain what flashport is and whether or not I am better off with or without it that would be great. Also do these radios have the capability of being ID'ed? Meaning it will make the motorola squelch noise when I release the PTT button to give dispatch my radio number.
Thanks,
David

EDIT: Our VHF is a basic repeater, nothing fancy

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Flashport is a Motorola trade name for software upgradable features. It's highly unlikely you'll need any of the upgradable features if you're just running a basic vhf system, so it would be a waste of money to look for that in a radio. If you don't know what it is, you're better off without it.

As far as ID'ing the radio, it's not a function of the squelch, first of all. And if the system is capable of reading ID's, some radios have the capability of sending it in several formats, but we don't have enough information from you to answer that question.

Why do you want "all the features" for a basic system? Just buy what you actually need.

As to having the least problem programming, ALL Motorola radios are a pain in the butt if you don't have the knowledge of how to do it, don't have the software, don't have the cables, and don't have a RIB. If you DO have all of the above, then it gets down to varying degrees of annoyance.

dsheli

zz0468 said:
Flashport is a Motorola trade name for software upgradable features. It's highly unlikely you'll need any of the upgradable features if you're just running a basic vhf system, so it would be a waste of money to look for that in a radio. If you don't know what it is, you're better off without it.

As far as ID'ing the radio, it's not a function of the squelch, first of all. And if the system is capable of reading ID's, some radios have the capability of sending it in several formats, but we don't have enough information from you to answer that question.

Why do you want "all the features" for a basic system? Just buy what you actually need.

As to having the least problem programming, ALL Motorola radios are a pain in the butt if you don't have the knowledge of how to do it, don't have the software, don't have the cables, and don't have a RIB. If you DO have all of the above, then it gets down to varying degrees of annoyance.

Well when I said all the features I meant that because I have no idea what I need. haha Basically right now I am going to buy which ever radio is cheapest. I have a natural interest in radios so it may just be a learning experience for me. The radios that we use at our station are all XTS2500 and XTS5000s. When I know that the IDing is not a part of the squelch but I just used it to describe the sound it makes after the transmission. I saw a post about it before a while back that I will try and find.

Astro25

Well, you can use CPS which works on WindowsXP for the MTS series, while the MT requires RSS.

You may get more options in an MT2000, based on what the controller rev. is. Most MTS2000s floating around with the basic flash don't even do basic MDC capabilities. And to top that off, HT1000s do even more than both of them, signaling wise.

dsheli

Astro25 said:
Well, you can use CPS which works on WindowsXP for the MTS series, while the MT requires RSS.

You may get more options in an MT2000, based on what the controller rev. is. Most MTS2000s floating around with the basic flash don't even do basic MDC capabilities. And to top that off, HT1000s do even more than both of them, signaling wise.

Is there a list of flash numbers and what there capabilities are? I will be getting a radio with a keypad on the front and would like to enable the security code feature (When the radio is turned on code must be entered for to to transmit).
David

dsheli

The radio IDing we use is MDC-1200. Should a ebay MTS-2000 have that function or would I be better of with a MT2000?
David

Last edited:

zz0468

QRT
Banned
dsheli said:
Well when I said all the features I meant that because I have no idea what I need. haha Basically right now I am going to buy which ever radio is cheapest. I have a natural interest in radios so it may just be a learning experience for me. The radios that we use at our station are all XTS2500 and XTS5000s. When I know that the IDing is not a part of the squelch but I just used it to describe the sound it makes after the transmission. I saw a post about it before a while back that I will try and find.

You're going about the process backwards. Determine the features that you want/need first, then search for a radio that will provide them.

karfield

I think I'll answer this one for you. Your best bet is to just go for the MT2000. It already has the MDC decode/encode feature as well as many other nice ones that aren't really necessary but they are also capable of working with a MTVA should you desire to aquire one of those as well.

You will however need to learn a little bit about how to program the unit if you want it to do MDC encoding but I'm going to guess you should be ok.

ssd

enable the security code feature (When the radio is turned on code must be entered for to to transmit). can this be dunn on mts2000 ant mtx8000

Moto_Jedi

ssd said:
enable the security code feature (When the radio is turned on code must be entered for to to transmit). can this be dunn on mts2000 ant mtx8000

Yes, you can program in a lock code on the full keypad models to disable everything except the on/off volume switch.

Personally, I don't know why anyone would want to set a radio up that way, but you can do it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.