Yaesu: vhf noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhilde

So I recently installed a new yaesu 2900 and larsen nmo150 antenna in my truck to monitor two meters and some utility frequencies. It seems to work good except on certain frequencies it picks up a lot of noise and on others it doesn't. This radio has a squelch knob which helps eliminate the noise but sometimes I turn it all the way up and it's still making noise. I installed the radio and antenna exactly as per installation instructions. Also it doesn't matter if the truck is running or not. Has anyone here experienced this before or have any suggestions on how to fix it? Thanks

FKimble

What are the "certain" frequencies and where are you located? Also what make/model is the truck? Anything else in the truck that didn't come installed from the factory? Are you using a cell charger plugged into the cigar lighter ?

jhilde

The truck is a 98 f150. There is nothing plugged in and no electronic accessories are installed. One frequency in particular is 138.750 has alot of noise. This is used in a trunked system in my area (northern Saskatchewan ) by police fire and ems. Could it be possible that I am receiving transmissions on this frequency but it's encrypted so all I get is static noise?

N8IAA

Considering that you have an analog FM ham radio, and your province is on a P-25 trunk system, and the frequency you have programmed is a Control Channel on that system, you won't hear anything on the 2900. You would need to get a digital P-25 scanner to hear what goes on in your area.
You may want to post in the Canadian forums for more help.
Larry

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Considering that you have an analog FM ham radio, and your province is on a P-25 trunk system, and the frequency you have programmed is a Control Channel on that system, you won't hear anything on the 2900. You would need to get a digital P-25 scanner to hear what goes on in your area.
You may want to post in the Canadian forums for more help.
Larry
Even then RCMP are full time, AES-256 encrypted on that system.

Most law enforcement in Saskachewan is encrypted.

Status
Not open for further replies.