Video connection from Universal M800 to Icom R9000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fast1eddie

Just picked up a Universal M8000 decoder and want to send the video output to the R9000's display. I realize this is somewhat dated equipment but still functional. I'm just going to have to hunt harder for signals....

Anyway, the video output from the M8000 is a mini D and the R9000 is a female RCA phono jack.

Ideas please??

Thank you very much for your help.

ed

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

The M8000 outputs 640x480 non-interlaced (60Hz) video. The video input on the R9000 appears to be for Over-The-Air interlaced analog video. You would need a VGA to NTSC converter with a composite video output.

73 Eric

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
In its day, the M8000 was a darn fine decoder. Unfortunately most of the modes it covers are no longer used. Depending on which version you have, it does do GMDSS / DSC (vers. 7.5) which is very much still in use. In addition, it will handle FAX, SITOR-A and B, some forms of PACTOR (note that there are many PACTOR sigs that use a compression technique that renders it unreadable, but hams are always out in the clear), and on VHF, ACARS and packet, along with the usual Baudot RTTY (seen every so often, though certainly not a regular - see the recent UDXF loggings).

Mike

Fast1eddie

Eric, appreciate your prompt reply. The 9K's manual states the built in monitor will accept signal from a external Terminal Decoder with not much more info. The input on the receiver is a RCA Phono.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Does the M8000 have a serial data output connection? I seem to recall the R9000 can accept serial data, in fact there is a test mode that generates characters. I guess I have to fire mine up and see..

RFI-EMI-GUY

No need for any VGA to NTSC convertors. You can wire this up properly without anything more than DIN and DB plugs and wire.

On the rear panel of the ICR-9000 is an 8 pin DIN connector Labeled Data In which accepts ASCII code (RS-232 level) from any terminal. A second 8 pin DIN connector labeled "ACC" provides fixed AF output to the FSK decoder eliminating any need to plug into the front panel headphone jack. Pages 29 and 30 of the manual (5-3 FSK Terminal Unit) detail the wiring and setup.

The M8000 has an AUX connector which steams serial data from the decoder to operate a serial printer.

The data will stream in real time and will be gone as fast as it can be read.

I doubt these ICR-9000 features were utilized much because there are several PC software packages that will store and buffer the serial data for off line reading.

Also the M8000 uses color to indicate status of signal levels etc. The ICR9000 has no color display.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.