VIPER Statewide Radio System Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

AK4FD

Catawba County, NC — FF/EMT, COML, AUXC, Skywarn
Premium Subscriber
8 Unlisted VIPER Talkgroups Found, Help anyone?

Hey guys & gals,

Thru a combination of DSD+ monitoring & UniTrunker, I have discovered so far 8 talkgroups that are not in the database. I found these while monitoring the Anderson Mountain Site in Catawba County, they could be local and they could be bleedover from other sites, hard to say due to me finding talkgroups from all over other Counties on this site... I would have not believed it had I not kept logs of the control channel data! Anywho, I’ll list the 8 unknown talkgroups below, in hopes that anyone else can assist me in finding who they are to submit to the database. I’m actively scanning them but more ears & eyes would help, thanks!

—David

trumpetman

Database Admin
Have you actually monitored traffic on these talkgroups or are you just going off what the control channel decoder programs are displaying? These are usually two different things when you factor in occasional poor decode or interference that might display inaccurate talkgroups or frequencies.

Hey guys & gals,

Thru a combination of DSD+ monitoring & UniTrunker, I have discovered so far 8 talkgroups that are not in the database. I found these while monitoring the Anderson Mountain Site in Catawba County, they could be local and they could be bleedover from other sites, hard to say due to me finding talkgroups from all over other Counties on this site... I would have not believed it had I not kept logs of the control channel data! Anywho, I’ll list the 8 unknown talkgroups below, in hopes that anyone else can assist me in finding who they are to submit to the database. I’m actively scanning them but more ears & eyes would help, thanks!

—David

AK4FD

Premium Subscriber
Have you actually monitored traffic on these talkgroups or are you just going off what the control channel decoder programs are displaying? These are usually two different things when you factor in occasional poor decode or interference that might display inaccurate talkgroups or frequencies.

That’s why I was asking for some help with anyone else to help monitor. Some of them are just going off of multiple hits of those talkgroups on my decoder logs. If it was just error in decoding I would think there wouldn’t be multiple hits for that particular one but I could be wrong. There are a few that I have heard audio on but couldn’t make out who it was. I am actively scanning all the talkgroups but I might miss some transmissions because I’m using my scanner that scans other channels too. I just noticed in the database that one of my talkgroups listed (9567) was entered in today under Catawba County as Lake Norman PD... I wasn’t aware Lake Norman had their own PD I thought the particular area was handled by that areas agency, Lake Norman is divided into 4 Counties so I was under the impression each county portion was handled by that county.

Last edited:

trumpetman

Database Admin
Lake Norman doesn't have it's own PD. That talkgroup is for coordination of all the different counties and agencies that respond to incidents on Lake Norman. Although I believe the UASI North Lakes talkgroup has now been decided on as the primary coordination channel for the lake so make sure you have that loaded in your scanner when it warms up. I'm sure that talkgroup was blindly added from an old out of date fleetmap without any verification on what it's actually used for or what it's name might have changed to.

That’s why I was asking for some help with anyone else to help monitor. Some of them are just going off of multiple hits of those talkgroups on my decoder logs. If it was just error in decoding I would think there wouldn’t be multiple hits for that particular one but I could be wrong. There are a few that I have heard audio on but couldn’t make out who it was. I am actively scanning all the talkgroups but I might miss some transmissions because I’m using my scanner that scans other channels too. I just noticed in the database that one of my talkgroups listed (9567) was entered in today under Catawba County as Lake Norman PD... I wasn’t aware Lake Norman had their own PD I thought the particular area was handled by that areas agency, Lake Norman is divided into 4 Counties so I was under the impression each county portion was handled by that county.

AK4FD

Premium Subscriber
Lake Norman doesn't have it's own PD. That talkgroup is for coordination of all the different counties and agencies that respond to incidents on Lake Norman. Although I believe the UASI North Lakes talkgroup has now been decided on as the primary coordination channel for the lake so make sure you have that loaded in your scanner when it warms up. I'm sure that talkgroup was blindly added from an old out of date fleetmap without any verification on what it's actually used for or what it's name might have changed to.

Yeah I kinda thought so. Oh I scan UASI too, and yes you’re correct, they use North Lakes talkgroup primarily for any interop incidents on the Lake. I haven’t heard them use South Lakes yet. I’ve got 4 scanners going, 1 for each county I monitor, and every time there’s been an incident on the lake no matter which of the 4 Counties it fell in they always defaulted to using North Lakes for interop.

TylerMK

Premium Subscriber
The Lake Norman talkgroup is still included in Catawba County codeplugs and is considered an interoperability talkgroup for incidents on Lake Norman. It is not used often as most incidents use a "tac" talkgroup or a statewide events talkroup if the incident expands. The Lake Norman talkgroup has recently been added to some Mecklenburg County radios. Sherrills Ford-Terrell Fire-Rescue and the sheriff's marine units do have access to the UASI system and can use North Lakes as needed. Not all agencies in Catawba County have access to the UASI system.

AK4FD

Premium Subscriber
The Lake Norman talkgroup is still included in Catawba County codeplugs and is considered an interoperability talkgroup for incidents on Lake Norman. It is not used often as most incidents use a "tac" talkgroup or a statewide events talkroup if the incident expands. The Lake Norman talkgroup has recently been added to some Mecklenburg County radios. Sherrills Ford Fire-Rescue and the sheriff's marine units do have access to the UASI system and can use North Lakes as needed. Not all agencies in Catawba County have access to the UASI system.

I have a Catawba County Radio (I’m on a Department) and I can’t find any Lake Norman talkgroups in it, do you know what the talkgroup name is?

Last edited:

AK4FD

Premium Subscriber
Okay quick update, I have some voice activity on 51694, couldn't understand it at first, but when I went back thru my scanner recording it sounded like she was saying "DOT to MP300" and when he answered she said "Yeah we have a report of a dead raccoon on the right shoulder, Westbound lanes at the 13.8" so I'm going to assume since it lies in-between all the IMAP talkgroup ranges that it's some sort of service talkgroup for IMAP, I just can't pinpoint whereabouts it is... I'll keep listening.

--David

WG3K

Chesapeake Beach, MD, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Martin County Sheriff's Office

I'm noticing some of the smaller counties in the northeast are combining their law talkgroups and only using one. Washington County did this a while back and put sheriff's office and Plymouth Police together (much like they used to be several decades ago on 460.125). After watching the Plymouth site for a few hours I'm wondering if Martin County has done the same thing. I'm seeing lots of traffic on the Williamston PD TG (30023) but nothing on any of the Martin County SO talkgroups. Having not listened to their SO in... decades, I'm not sure what numbers are who. I heard an #8xx unit check out at an address that was well outside the city limits of Williamston a while ago.

Anyone in the area that can confirm and submit an update to the database?

GamecockSJ

MCSO and Williamston PD have been using the same TG for as long as I’ve had a P25 scanner... almost 3 years since I got it. Never heard them separate even on the Williamston site.

GMB951

Premium Subscriber
Caught Sanford Police using TG#27035 Special Ops,they have opted out of viper still on their old uhf system but still have the viper back-up

GMB951

Premium Subscriber
Picking up what I think is VA Stars from Cumberland Co loud/clear # 161.8 Nac 197 sound like road side parks/162.00 Nac 19-6/159,225 Nac-190. Sounds like a little ducting going on.

GMB951

Premium Subscriber
did some checking on Fay VA moving to viper because they have a talk-group on viper was told observed that they will stay on #407.8375 for now this is P-25

Last edited:

AK4FD

Premium Subscriber
Lincoln County VIPER

I have it on good authority from several sources that Lincoln County will be going live on VIPER starting on July 1. I was told that the Lincoln County VIPER Site will be placed at the Sheriff's Office bldg in Lincolnton. My thing is, it's only 3 months & some change away, and I have yet to see a new tower Site added to the RR database, nor have I seen a new Site pop up in DSD+ or UniTrunker. Common Sense would say if you're going live on a new Site in just over 3 months that the tower would already have to be in-place by now and testing underway to go live by July 1. The only new changes that I have noticed is within the past couple weeks there's been new Digital radios being used for some of the units that didn't have them before, I can tell they are Digital due to the sound over the VHF patch that's currently in-place. Also the Digital radio ID's showing up on the Catawba Site talkgroups.

Does anyone/can anyone find out the info on this as far as will they be adding a new Site for Lincoln County or will they be piggybacking off of the Catawba County Site that is already busy enough? I appreciate any input and thank you!

David

trumpetman

Database Admin
A lot can happen in three months. And nothing says a tower has to be online before agencies come onto the system. There is already good coverage in Lincoln county and I imagine the Lincolnton site is supplemental for in-building coverage since the county is going primary.

There is a significant amount of planning that goes on behind the scenes and a new site coming online is only a small hurdle at the end of a long race. Sites come online quick. To actually turn up a site usually takes about a day to go from an empty shelter and lines/antenna on the tower to a working and networked site. Have some patience I'm sure it'll be online soon, it's not like the 400' tower isn't already in place. Those VIPER guys move quick once the L&A are on the tower :wink:

I have it on good authority from several sources that Lincoln County will be going live on VIPER starting on July 1. I was told that the Lincoln County VIPER Site will be placed at the Sheriff's Office bldg in Lincolnton. My thing is, it's only 3 months & some change away, and I have yet to see a new tower Site added to the RR database, nor have I seen a new Site pop up in DSD+ or UniTrunker. Common Sense would say if you're going live on a new Site in just over 3 months that the tower would already have to be in-place by now and testing underway to go live by July 1. The only new changes that I have noticed is within the past couple weeks there's been new Digital radios being used for some of the units that didn't have them before, I can tell they are Digital due to the sound over the VHF patch that's currently in-place. Also the Digital radio ID's showing up on the Catawba Site talkgroups.

Does anyone/can anyone find out the info on this as far as will they be adding a new Site for Lincoln County or will they be piggybacking off of the Catawba County Site that is already busy enough? I appreciate any input and thank you!

David

AK4FD

Premium Subscriber
A lot can happen in three months. And nothing says a tower has to be online before agencies come onto the system. There is already good coverage in Lincoln county and I imagine the Lincolnton site is supplemental for in-building coverage since the county is going primary.

There is a significant amount of planning that goes on behind the scenes and a new site coming online is only a small hurdle at the end of a long race. Sites come online quick. To actually turn up a site usually takes about a day to go from an empty shelter and lines/antenna on the tower to a working and networked site. Have some patience I'm sure it'll be online soon, it's not like the 400' tower isn't already in place. Those VIPER guys move quick once the L&A are on the tower :wink:

LOL, I see your point. I guess I was just assuming they would be testing the new Site out for a bit before going live. But I'm sorta new here, down in South Florida my home County's P25 system was tested out for 6 months before going live, but there was also close to 100,000 users between Fire, EMS, Police, Sheriff, & Animal Control. I wasn't considering the smaller size of the Lincoln system compared to a large County back home I was used to. :) my oversight.

David

KI4RDO

Silent Key
LOL, I see your point. I guess I was just assuming they would be testing the new Site out for a bit before going live. But I'm sorta new here, down in South Florida my home County's P25 system was tested out for 6 months before going live, but there was also close to 100,000 users between Fire, EMS, Police, Sheriff, & Animal Control. I wasn't considering the smaller size of the Lincoln system compared to a large County back home I was used to. :) my oversight.

David
100,000 users is why they did 6 months of testing. If it's a existing system and a new site is coming up to add coverage it shouldn't take to long. The tower is already up

Status
Not open for further replies.