VIPER Statewide Radio System Discussion

trumpetman

Database Admin
My radios are functioning just fine. Might be confused with down at "1000 & 1400 for a few minutes" instead of "down between 1000 & 1400"...

Flyham

To complete this upgrade, there has to be two (2) system wide outages for less than 5 minutes. These outages are necessary and will take place on February 6th at 10:00am and again at 2:00pm
Looked at the link but didn't see any mention of it

musson

Iredell Firewire
February 4 at 12:34 PM ·
The North Carolina VIPER System is undergoing a system upgrade. During this upgrade, the system will be changing from a 7.14 version to a 7.17 version.
To complete this upgrade, there has to be two (2) system wide outages for less than 5 minutes. These outages are necessary and will take place on February 6th at 10:00am and again at 2:00pm.
During these outages, ALL sites and wireline consoles will go into site trucking for up to 5 minutes. We have been told by the vendor that they should be less than 2 minutes each time. There will be no communications between wireline consoles and field units and only field units on the same site may talk to each other. After the first outage, please do not power down or reset any wireline consoles until they have been upgraded by your Motorola vendor, which should have already been relayed and scheduled with the effected Counties.
The VIPER Network Operations Center will be sending reminder emails about the outage and will notify all users when maintenance is completed each time. If you experience any problems with field units or consoles after the outages, please contact the VIPER NOC at 919-662-4530 or 1-888-92VIPER.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Caught a couple of new talkgroups not in the database....

51663 NCDPS District 12 Probation, RID 2020876 (PO), 2023027 (Dispatch)
52061 SBI in clear, RID 21026xx
52249 NCWRC Officer, RID 21261xx

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
Just out of curiosity, I climbed up into the attic with my HT to see just how far off I could copy voice traffic on VIPER. I was only using an 800 MHz rubber duck on my uniden. Here are some of my furthest hits with copiable traffic from near Winston-Salem:

-Pores Knob (Wilkes County): ~40 miles
-Green Mountain (Alleghany County): ~45 miles
-Barretts Mountain (Alexander County) ~50 miles (this is the weakest, but if I find the right spot I can get the CC. This enables me to get Catawba County all the way from Forsyth which is pretty cool)
-Mt. Jefferson (Ashe County): ~60 miles (Surprisingly strong... as much as 3/5 units on the meter)
-Phoenix Mtn. (Ashe County): ~65 miles (Also quite strong)
-Boone (Watauga County): ~70 miles (getting two CCs here depending on how I hold the radio, so I'm not hearing much traffic because of this)

Pretty impressive range on some of those sites for an HT, especially for such a high frequency as 800 MHz! And I've heard some of these sites in the past from here so it's not a band opening or anything, just some impressive range.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Recently there have been a couple of us looking at VIPER TGIDs not in the database. So far, we've found over 50 of them, some we have an idea who they belong to, others we have no clue. I'm attaching a list of the TGIDs along with the RIDs heard and our guess of who it is. I'd appreciate it if you would look at our list and contribute any other unknowns or information regarding the TGIDs on the list.

Attachments

• Wildcard TGID List.pdf
    409.9 KB · Views: 74

RightBatwing

Some TGID's on VIPER will never be released what they are and always will be encrypted just get used to it, there is a reason. Some federal agencies interop with locals and it's becoming more common and they would rather not have their stuff posted online. Otherwise if it's in the clear and a new ID I would just be patient till' an admin who has privledges to post what is necessary for the public to know.

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
Some random VIPER-related notes for North-West NC:

I remember someone asking a while back, but I finally got around to checking for sure and can confirm that Ashe County Sheriff is patched full-time to VIPER.

I can confirm that Wilkes Fire is patched into VIPER as well. It doesn't look like any of the Law is patched, at least not when i listened.

Alleghany County sheriff *may* be patched into VIPER. Heard a few bits of traffic with the same RID, but that county is very rual and usually has little traffic, so I'll need to listen some more to confirm.

In case anyone in the Triad missed this: there is a new 700 MHz VIPER site near Kenersville, NC that is slated to come online sometime in the near future. Portable coverage has some patchy areas out there, so the new site will be a big help.

One final note is that I did hear a little traffic on the Yadkin EMS VIPER talkgroup. I only caught the tail end of a conversation, but it was interesting to hear VIPER traffic on there as they are one of the few counties left around here that does not use any form of digital - either directly or as a patch.

randyK

For those who haven't noticed, there has been some control channel changes in the triad area. Mt Shepherd (RFSS1 site 50) now has a pri CC of 858.7875 & an alt CC of 858.0125. Cane Mt (RFSS1 site 10) now has a pri CC of 859.5875 & an alt CC of 859.3125.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Good to hear more VIPER Traffic out of Davidson County as they continue to migrate.
Caught RID ... and added it to the WIKI as well.
  • 570004 - Davidson County C-Comm..poss EMS Dispatch

@NathanJ thanks for updating the wiki!!!! If anyone else finds new Viper RIDs for agencies not already in the wiki, please add them to the wiki or send them to me and I'll be happy to add them for you.

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
Traffic also being noted on the Davidson County Sheriff VIPER TG. I will listen and see if it's a patch.

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
Well, I just heard traffic on both the Davidson EMS and sheriff VHF frequency but heard nothing on VIPER on the Lexington site... hmmmm.

KG4KHQ

Premium Subscriber
Well, I just heard traffic on both the Davidson EMS and sheriff VHF frequency but heard nothing on VIPER on the Lexington site... hmmmm.

I heard EMS earlier. Apparently Davidson EMS had all their units committed so they had a Davie County unit standing by US 64 at the Yadkin River. When Davidson had units go back in service, Davidson told the Davie unit they could clear on Davidson’s VIPER EMS talkgroup. Since Davie operates on VIPER, it makes sense that they would use it for a mutual aid situation like this.