VIPER Statewide Radio System Discussion

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Let's start it of with an unidentified VIPER TGID of 51663 on the NCSHP Training Center tower, in the NCDPS/NCDOP range, but it wasn't NCDOP RID's heard (2116905). So far, only traffic I'm hearing is the single RID doing radio checks.

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
I see in the database that the Barium Springs site in Iredell County only has two frequencies listed - a CC and alternate CC. Surely there is more than just one voice frequency on this site? I am a little far away to pick up the site, but I sometimes make it over that way. Just something interesting I noticed.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I see in the database that the Barium Springs site in Iredell County only has two frequencies listed - a CC and alternate CC. Surely there is more than just one voice frequency on this site? I am a little far away to pick up the site, but I sometimes make it over that way. Just something interesting I noticed.

Also, if you look at the license WQCR583 it has been cancelled since 2016. It appears the new license is WQSZ887

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
Also, if you look at the license WQCR583 it has been cancelled since 2016. It appears the new license is WQSZ887
Thanks. Looking at that license I only see one frequency listed as Barium Springs though - 852.5125. Barium springs is in the Database as a 700 MHz unless they switched back to 800 MHz.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. Looking at that license I only see one frequency listed as Barium Springs though - 852.5125. Barium springs is in the Database as a 700 MHz unless they switched back to 800 MHz.

Reading the license notes, it says "This interoperability frequency is dedicated for the express purpose of nationwide interoperability calling".
But from what I found that is the only valid license for that tower. Do we know if that tower is still being used? Not being out that way, I really don't know. Looks like you have a new project @IcomIcR20 hahaha thanks for volunteering.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber

N4LHY_1

Premium Subscriber
Reading the license notes, it says "This interoperability frequency is dedicated for the express purpose of nationwide interoperability calling".
But from what I found that is the only valid license for that tower. Do we know if that tower is still being used? Not being out that way, I really don't know. Looks like you have a new project @IcomIcR20 hahaha thanks for volunteering.
I am receiving traffic from this tower. I live in northern Mecklenburg but work for Iredell so I keep all of this plugged into my 996p2. I will verify what TGs I hear in the coming days.

Flyham

A little out of my area (Greensboro) but 852.5125 I believe is the output for 8-TAC-93, hence the interop. comment. FWIW.

wncrescue

Premium Subscriber
A little out of my area (Greensboro) but 852.5125 I believe is the output for 8-TAC-93, hence the interop. comment. FWIW.
This brings up an interesting observation that I have had more than once. Is there a listing somewhere of the repeaters for the 8-tac and 7-tac channels? I was in Hendersonville area a few months ago and was told of an 8-tac repeater in that area, but I did not follow up on it at the time. I have looked at the NIFOG, but it seems incomplete at best. Thanks all.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I have looked at the NIFOG, but it seems incomplete at best. Thanks all.

The NIFOG is the nationwide interoperability guide so it is 100% complete as far as the nationwide assignments for 8CALL & 8TAC Frequencies (along with the nationwide mutual aid 700Mhz frequencies).
I don't know what else you expect to find but the NIFOG is the gold standard as far as nationwide interop.
NC does have some 700Mhz frequencies used for Interop and they are listed in the database:
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=5505

Marshall KE4ZNR

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
This may be old news, but it's new to me:

Heard a keyup on Alleghany SO (TG 4404) with UID 90034. That's the first time I've heard anything from Alleghany on VIPER. I'll have to listen more to see if they have possibly started a patch... no idea at this point.

Also, for the first time I am hearing Wilkes FD 1 on VIPER (TG 49504). I can hear both units and dispatch on a patch from their VHF freq (all traffic on UID 1930065). I don't know how long this as been going on since I don't monitor those towers much, but that's the first time I've heard more than just testing on the Wilkes TGs.

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
More VIPER traffic from Alleghany county, I again heard some transmissions on the 4404 TG with the same UID and this time some dispatch traffic leading me to think it's a patch to the sheriff VHF frequency. The audio certainly sounded "patch-ish" :)

N4LHY_1

Premium Subscriber
Tower number (1008447) matches, looks like you found it, now someone needs to take a ride over, confirm, and submit the update. Great catch/find! ULS License - Trunked Public Safety 700 MHz License - WQVI753 - NORTH CAROLINA STATE HIGHWAY PATROL - Location 1
I can go by here easily on the way to work. Am i just looking for a tower or what? I have listened off and on to the scanner for the last several days and cannot find any traffic coming across the Barium Springs tower. I thought I had seen it but it does not look like I see anything anymore. Still monitoring.

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
I can go by here easily on the way to work. Am i just looking for a tower or what? I have listened off and on to the scanner for the last several days and cannot find any traffic coming across the Barium Springs tower. I thought I had seen it but it does not look like I see anything anymore. Still monitoring.
Yes, what is currently in the DB seems incorrect. What we are trying to find is the new 700 MHz frequencies that the site supposedly uses now. The supposed frequencies are listed in the FCC license mentioned above (https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?fccCallsign=WQVI753)