VIPER Statewide Radio System Discussion

spacellamaman

thanks guys

Was hearing parts of some kind of training on Bravo 4, receiving on Sauratown and/or Winston Salem State sites. Never heard a location mentioned by name, only tactical designators Alpha, Delta, etc. At one point putting mannequins in the water.

yeah mention of cover "division this" or "division that" is bout all i noticed. have to relisten to everything soon.

@spacellamaman It was statewide training held at a rock quarry in Stanley County in preparation for the hurricane season.

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk

well that would help me narrow it down, except i realized i don't think i know where any quarrys are in stanly, just gold mines. you have any clue where said quarry is in the county? name of? heck, what type or rock?

theyre all cranked up again this morning. 2 or 3 rowan based h60s and another unfamiliar one heard so far. 126.275 kvuj ctaf 291.9 kvuj tower due to no contact on ctaf, 40.7 and 293.0 so far heard in past hour. i hate being stranded. arrrrrggghhhhhh.

spacellamaman

They're wide open still. I guess I am going to have to take my best scanner off low band duty and start reconfig for VIPER since i seem to be the only one interested.

well maybe just the only one not at work.

36.8 is being used A2A some too, I believe by Guard helos. anyone in central to south central NC with an outdoor antenna or a wire over a tree limb should have no trouble. comms are frequent enough i have been running equipment test/comparisons. not terribly informative as to location so far tho. KVUJ FBO is a virtual FARP it seems.

Todays rotation:
-------------------------
126.275 KVUJ
291.9 rare
40.7 CATFISH
36.8 A2A

da2ricky

Newbie to digital scanning but I just got up and running with a BCD996P2. I'm located in Onslow County and I'm finding that the Viper database for my county is way out of date. Initially, I imported everything using the RR database import. This gave me absolute silence on the VIPER system using the Holly Ridge site. I went through and found all of the 700-800Mhz FQ's labeled either ONSLOW COUNTY or NC STATE HIGHWAY PATROL under the FCC site and added all of them in. I'm sure this isn't the way to do it, but I honestly have no idea what I'm doing :D

So far tonight these are the active channels I've found from the Holly Ridge site that aren't in the database.

34208 - Holly Ridge Police Talk
34324 - Onslow Co. Sheriff's Dept. Dispatch
34217 - not sure
34282 - Onslow Co. EMS Dispatch
34311 - Onslow Co. Jail?
34381 - Onslow Municipal Dispatch?
34024 - Jacksonville PD Dispatch?
34025 - Jacksonville PD?
34289 - Unknown Facility to Onslow Memorial Hospital
34373 - Unknown

EDIT: I just realized all of these TGID's are associated with another system that's now playing over my VIPER system because I added all of those frequencies... sigh.

Last edited:

da2ricky

It's fun and frustrating at the same time!

Ok, I ran a search until I heard what sounded like an idling 18 wheeler on FQ: 856.7125 and a search of the FQ shows NCSHP with a location of Holly Ridge... I'm thinking this is the control channel as I'm now getting some chatter from the Holly Ridge site!

Link to FCC info: ULS License - Public Safety/Spec Emerg, 806-821/851-866 MHz, Trunked License - WQMB884 - NORTH CAROLINA STATE HIGHWAY PATROL

EDIT: Just heard NCSHP Trp B Dist 3 (onslow) from my Holly Ridge site. Good to go!

Last edited:

brad2388

Feed Provider
On the viper system does every tower get every county? Or does one tower just serve the county?
I was wondering if i could listen to guilford and randolph county off the same tower

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
On the viper system does every tower get every county? Or does one tower just serve the county?
I was wondering if i could listen to guilford and randolph county off the same tower
Towers near the county line will often carry both counties' traffic, but it just depends on who is affiliated with the tower. The rule of thumb for VIPER is that for an individual county, they will have access to the tower sites within and neighboring their county.

Also, it should be noted that Guilford county does not use VIPER. They are on their own P25 trunked system. Randolph is a heavy VIPER user though.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Depending on your location in Onslow, you may be able to hear several VIPER sites. From my house, I'm able to hear 10 sites, so make sure you scan the entire 7/800 band for those control channels. You may be surprised at the amount of traffic of which you are potentially missing out. Yes, the Onslow P25 system is simulcast Phase 2 and it stays pretty busy. I'm using an older BCD996T which does great on VIPER and just ordered the same scanner that you have for the Onslow system. Welcome to Onslow County!

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
Down in the Outer Banks (Nags Head). While monitoring the Dare County System, I looked at my recordings from overnight. Noticing some distant Viper talkgroups recorded on the Dare County System from over night. I guess atmospheric conditions caused it from a distant site?

4904 - Bertie County Sheriff
5002 Bladen County EMS
5010 Bladen Fire
11003 Chowan EMS
30003 Martin County Fire
30023 Martin County Law Dispatch
35541 Elizabeth City Police
30006 Martin DPW
36010 Pender County Law Disp
36502 Perquimans County
41504 Sampson County EMS Disp
41512 Sampson County Sheriff
51543 Eastcare Air Disp
51580 LZ East
52137 Troop A Dist 2
52140 Troop A Dist 5

Dare Frequencies are
858.4375a
858.9875a
859.4375a
859.9875c

I wonder what Viper Site it was from?

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Came across new Talkgroup for Lillington PD, not in database. TG 22025, from the two short recordings made while at work, sounded like either training or tac channels, as they were talking about an accident scene. All unit IDs fall in the Lillington PD range.

Chris-KH2PM

Premium Subscriber
Maybe Harnett Co Common 2, which would fall in line with the TG ID right ahead of it numerically.

Came across new Talkgroup for Lillington PD, not in database. TG 22025, from the two short recordings made while at work, sounded like either training or tac channels, as they were talking about an accident scene. All unit IDs fall in the Lillington PD range.

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
working on a lot of NXDN in Moore co now and Harnett
Hey if you are talking about Fleet Talk NXDN, please PM me. I was just down there and have some info on the sites in that area. We could trade notes as I have been working on that system.

K4ASJ

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know if there is a talkgroup for the National Weather Service in Raleigh ? I was there yesterday on a tour and noticed that they had a viper portable in the office. Just wondering if they had their own talkgroup that they use.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know if there is a talkgroup for the National Weather Service in Raleigh ? I was there yesterday on a tour and noticed that they had a viper portable in the office. Just wondering if they had their own talkgroup that they use.

The only TG that has been verified for the NWS is 60584, and I've only heard that a few times. As it is listed as NWSILM it is very likely not the only one, just the only one monitored and reported.