VIPER Statewide Radio System Discussion

AlphaFive

I would like to take a few minutes and discuss the nature of the use of Federal VIPER talkgroups. I have spent approximately two months with one of my radios only monitoring my own list of Federal talkgroups that I have accumulated. It is my own experience that with really one exception, (U.S.F.S.), the use of VIPER by any Federal agency is rarely, if ever unilateral. In other words, I can't really recall an agency using VIPER for their own day to day, separate operations. Invariably when a Federal talkgroup is utilized, it is in conjunction with a State, or local agency on a specific operation, operating as a multiagency task force for the day. I am able to determine this by spending time and using the radio i.d.'s indicated on the transmissions for identification. I choose to avoid talking specifics, and prefer to generalize with this topic. I think this is an important distinction to understand, because until recently, I had not concentrated on Federal use alone. I had a different expectation as to the uses. I expected day to day operations of assorted Federal agencies, acting alone. This is not what I have found. The talkgroups appear to function more as a mutual aid network allowing interagency cooperation.
Of course there are exceptions, I suspect when encryption is used, these may be some unilateral operations. And the Forest Service is on everyday, acting as I had thought other Federal agencies would have been. What are the experience of others? Has any one found this to be true? If this is true, I think it is important to understand that someone is not going to be able to monitor a specific agency and hear something completely Federal alone, with no other partners.

GMB951

Premium Subscriber
Very correct the only one I have ever caught is the local VA and not very often, they have their own systems

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I would like to take a few minutes and discuss the nature of the use of Federal VIPER talkgroups. I have spent approximately two months with one of my radios only monitoring my own list of Federal talkgroups that I have accumulated. It is my own experience that with really one exception, (U.S.F.S.), the use of VIPER by any Federal agency is rarely, if ever unilateral. ....

For the most part that is correct, though I've heard some operations without state/local support on the fed tgs, but no daily routine traffic by the agencies. From what I've heard they use cellphones and Zello since that blends in more than holding a two-way.

AlphaFive

Thank you all for the replies. And, I agree. Since our time is not infinite, and to make the best use of what we have, a person has to focus on what is important to them. I hope this look at what the specific federal VIPER talkgroups consist of, in general terms, gives someone a little help in deciding what might be important to focus on. Take care all..

Toad_77

The Fayetteville TWC site was rebanded today, new freqs:
773.20625a
773.45625c

Toad_77

The Fayetteville TWC site was rebanded today, new freqs:
773.20625a
773.45625c
Add 769.85625 to this, it had not populated into Unitrunker at the time of my post.

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
From last week....

51548 - Bodie Island/Stumpy Point Sites; 21370xx Used call signs of Charlie

61413 Very active, East Lake & Stumpy Point Sites. Sounded like Tower Maintenance? RID: 35001xx

11026 Valhalla & Plymouth Sites; Law Enforcement Related. Users calling "Central" RID: 4101xx

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
From last week....

51548 - Bodie Island/Stumpy Point Sites; 21370xx Used call signs of Charlie
Vidant, NCCU and ECU share the 2137xxx range and that talkgroup is between known TGs for Vidant and ECU

61413 Very active, East Lake & Stumpy Point Sites. Sounded like Tower Maintenance? RID: 35001xx
I've seen a 3500xxx RID before and dismissed it as a mistake, it too was on a fed talkgroup, but not that one. I've never caught any TG above 60xxx, good catch

11026 Valhalla & Plymouth Sites; Law Enforcement Related. Users calling "Central" RID: 4101xx
Both the talkgroup and RID put this in Chowan county, Chowan dispatch has been heard on radio 410103

Thanks for the updates @ThePhotoGuy

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
In other words, I can't really recall an agency using VIPER for their own day to day, separate operations. Invariably when a Federal talkgroup is utilized, it is in conjunction with a State, or local agency on a specific operation, operating as a multiagency task force for the day.

I expect that the primary purpose of a VIPER talkgroup for many of the other-than-state-funded entities is for backup to their own non-VIPER communications and/or as a VIPER "home base" that could be patched to other agency or mutual aid talkgroups when necessary.

AlphaFive

Bingo on that. Until I spent time on those assorted Federal talkgroups, I had a misinformed idea about what I would be hearing. Not saying what exists on those talkgroups is a bad thing, just different, that's all. Take care.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Have been hearing Talkgroup 51663 (Not in database) I believe this is a NCDPS Prison Transport talkgroup based on the radio IDs I've seen (in the DOP transport range, and comms with various NCSHP dispatchers in different areas of the state talking about traffic conditions and IMAP availability). Just wondering if anyone else is picking it up anywhere?

reconrider8

federal is really an unknown to us. with out having a list of who is who its kinda hard to really picture who is who and whats where but i will say ive heard units talking way out of the area of viper coverage and im not quite sure how but it wasnt a patched id as they were all different ids but they were all talking like they were right near me in my county. like is said before im not going into specifics but its kinda fun to hear those guys working out there and doing their jobs

GMB951

Premium Subscriber
NCFS Dist. 8 Tag#52649 has been monitored off the McCain Tower working fires to the east around Pender co most of the day,this is a first for me to monitor and of these TGs working any fires

da2ricky

NCFS Dist. 8 Tag#52649 has been monitored off the McCain Tower working fires to the east around Pender co most of the day,this is a first for me to monitor and of these TGs working any fires

Also heard off the Holly Ridge tower in addition to TGID 51991 NCFS Law Enforcement. First time I've heard either of them.