VIPER Statewide Radio System Discussion

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I'm hearing transmission on TGID 52141(TROOP A DIST6 Craven, Pamlico Cos) off the Holly Ridge tower.

Two questions...

1. On my scanner display it reads "52141 - 52141", does that mean its patched?

Not sure what scanner you have, but my TRX-1 does not show that when patched.

2. Why/how am I hearing this all the way on the south east side of Onslow?!

Affliation, if a Troop A Dist 6 is in the area and has radio on, they will be affliated with the tower and you will be able to hear them. Here in Raleigh I hear a lot of units from different agencies/areas that are not local, especially on the State Event Talkgroups.

da2ricky

Not sure what scanner you have, but my TRX-1 does not show that when patched.

Affliation, if a Troop A Dist 6 is in the area and has radio on, they will be affliated with the tower and you will be able to hear them. Here in Raleigh I hear a lot of units from different agencies/areas that are not local, especially on the State Event Talkgroups.

Good to know, thanks! I have the BCD996P2 btw.

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
I'm hearing transmission on TGID 52141(TROOP A DIST6 Craven, Pamlico Cos) off the Holly Ridge tower.

Two questions...

I'm also picking up TGID 52336 (State Highway Patrol - Microwave Techs) off the Holly Ridge tower with RID's being displayed but I haven't actually heard anyone say anything.
1. Yes I do believe that means it is patched. Someone correct me if I am wrong please.
2. There is probably a unit from that district that is in your area who is associating with that tower and is thus bringing all the A6 traffic along with him as N1GAW said.

The microwave techs are 99.9% encrypted. I've only ever heard a transmission in the clear maybe once or twice. Since it is encrypted, you'll see the RIDs, but the audio will be muted.

da2ricky

1. Yes I do believe that means it is patched. Someone correct me if I am wrong please.
2. There is probably a unit from that district that is in your area who is associating with that tower and is thus bringing all the A6 traffic along with him as N1GAW said.

The microwave techs are 99.9% encrypted. I've only ever heard a transmission in the clear maybe once or twice. Since it is encrypted, you'll see the RIDs, but the audio will be muted.

That explains it! I thought encrypted transmissions would come through garbled, I didn't realize they were completely muted. Thanks for the info.

is it common to see them doing stuff or should I be preparing myself to search for some new control channels? I know several sites went to 700 but mine hasn't (yet).

SouthernRoller

Premium Subscriber
Ashe uses VHF for all communications. The sheriff is simulcasted onto VIPER but that's it. Their VHF system works very well as it comes in nicely at my location in Forsyth County,
As of yesterday none of Ashe including the sheriff VHF frequency is no longer being simulcast on VIPER..

drayd48

Two questions...

I'm also picking up TGID 52336 (State Highway Patrol - Microwave Techs) off the Holly Ridge tower with RID's being displayed but I haven't actually heard anyone say anything.
A lot of NCSHP troops patch channels because a dispatcher may be working multiple or all districts at once and it makes it easier to handle. Also, someone affiliated ith TRPADIST6 Was probably in your area and affiliated to your tower, so you heard it.

GMB951

Premium Subscriber
It would be nice if Viper had a group to go to in a storm event and include all storm related IDs in it ect.
I go thru all eng State and Fed emg event talk groups and include them in one bank set on ID scan only

GMB951

Premium Subscriber
I did some searching and found the following talk groups listed as (NCEM SAR) but none of them are listed in data base
NCEM SAR #2 #51939
NCEM SAR #3 #51940
NCEM SAR #6 #51942
NCEM SAR #8 #51945
NCEM SAR #9 #51946
NCEM SAR #10 #51952
NCEM SAR #11 #51954
These were used in last Hurricane
All these come from NC Wiki Search

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I did some searching and found the following talk groups listed as (NCEM SAR) but none of them are listed in data base
NCEM SAR #2 #51939
NCEM SAR #3 #51940
NCEM SAR #6 #51942
NCEM SAR #8 #51945
NCEM SAR #9 #51946
NCEM SAR #10 #51952
NCEM SAR #11 #51954
These were used in last Hurricane
All these come from NC Wiki Search

Those and a few others are listed in the VIPER P25 Radio ID wiki page, I did not submit them to the database because I didn't know if they were temporary or permanent additions.

https://wiki.radioreference.com/ind...orence_Radio_IDs_and_Updated.2FNew_Talkgroups

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
I will say NC has a much better system than SC. Took a ride up to the mountains today and no distortion on a 1080.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
I will say NC has a much better system than SC. Took a ride up to the mountains today and no distortion on a 1080.

You do realize that several Palmetto 800 sites are simulcast, including Greenville, Spartanburg and Anderson, while next to none of the NC Viper sites are simulcast. That will make a big difference on your 1080. Consider monitioring the Ceasars Head and Hogback sites, which are not simulcast, to see if they carry your talkgroups of interest. You'll get better reception quality from those sites, assuming signal strength is decent.

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Brian. Already set up that way and have very few problems. But still the viper systems seems to have it down better.

TSITTERSON

KF4WHA
Was at my Dad's in Bath, NC (Beaufort Co) and he complained he wasn't hearing much on his HP2 lately. He only monitors VIPER for the SO and SHP. So I created a Favorite List for these 2 in Viper and turned off the Location Control. We started hearing some traffic on the Bath tower...as this is really the only tower he can receive but is very close to it. The Site ID showed Toxaway Mountain which is located on the other end of the state. So I simply went into the Favorite List and copied the Toxaway freqs in place of the Bath freqs and he was receiving again. Couldn't explain it other than they updated the Bath site with the Toxaway freqs.

da2ricky

New frequencies granted today for NCSHP in MARTIN County with a location of HP-1307, WILLIAMSTON, 4003 WEST MAIN STREET
WILLIAMSTON, NC

ULS License - PubSafty/SpecEmer/PubSaftyNtlPlan,806-817/851-862MHz,Conv License - WRDP918 - NORTH CAROLINA STATE HIGHWAY PATROL

Completely unrelated, but do the SHP dispatchers up your way have a heavy county accent? I was born and raised here in Onslow and have a little bit of an accent but wherever Troop B's dispatchers are... man, they county! Go 'head.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Completely unrelated, but do the SHP dispatchers up your way have a heavy county accent? I was born and raised here in Onslow and have a little bit of an accent but wherever Troop B's dispatchers are... man, they county! Go 'head.

I'm in Raleigh, not Martin Co., and no they don't

spacellamaman

ha!

yours are mighty fancy including the "o". the ones in my neck just "g'hed"

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
As far Martin County.

There are no new frequencies being added for the trunking site. The frequencies are licensed for something different.

David