Virginia I-95 CONVENTIONAL Freqs In Use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
I'm trying to pare down my bank of old conventional frequencies along I-95 in Virginia. I don't drive that stretch often any more so I don't want to put in a bunch of trunked systems that get used for maybe 15-20 minutes at a time while driving through.

I note that a lot of them never have activity so I'd like to delete them from my scan list if they're no longer used. I just don't have a convenient way to note that while driving on suicidal I-95.

So: what is still actively used? To keep this list short I'm only listing the main or dispatch frequencies even if I have the tac channels also programmed. If one of the others is still used, please say so.

154.325 Prince William fire (still active)
154.175 Stafford fire
154.415 Fredericksburg fire
156.195 Spotsylvania fire
154.385 Caroline fire
154.16 Chesterfield fire (only hear Montgomery County, MD even way down there)
154.325 Colonial Heights fire
460.525 Petersburg fire (never hear anything)
453.5625 Prince George Co., VA (still active)
155.94 Dinwiddie fire analog
154.4375 Dinwiddie fire digital (still active--also heard their police on another freq)
154.2425 Sussex fire (maybe?)
154.34 Greensville fire (I think still active?)

I put these and a lot more in originally because they still appear in the RadRef database, but things have changed in recent years so there's no point scanning stuff that is dead now.

Any constructive input is appreciated as I have been asked by others for this info so lots of eyes are watching. Thanks!

Last edited:

KC4ASF

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
I know the first 5 FD freqs are good. They are simulcast of their TRS.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

W4UVV

Prince George Co./Petersburg conventional frequencies

All Prince George Co. listed in the RRDB are correct and operational as required.

Petersburg City, Police, Fire, and EMS are on a trunked system. No conventional activity except schools maintenance and/or city utilities.

John
W4UVV

vern23882

Premium Subscriber
Sussex Fire is correct (CTCSS 136.5)
Left out is Sussex Sheriff, 154.3775, (CTCSS 136.5) and
Greensville County Sheriff, 151.025, (DCS 047N)

Sweetbritches

Add another frequency I hear to the list 158.76

I know the first 5 FD freqs are good. They are simulcast of their TRS.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The next channel to list after Caroline is 158.76 Ashland Doswell Hanover Fire and rescue

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
The next channel to list after Caroline is 158.76 Ashland Doswell Hanover Fire and rescue

Nope. I deleted that freq because it was nothing but digital transmissions from the VSP STARS site nearby. I never once heard legitimate analog voice traffic on it.

Please confirm as I'm going off memory since I deleted it. Thanks.

fredva

Feed Provider
You can scratch Fredericksburg fire off the list as they have moved to the Stafford County P25 system.

At the time you originally asked the question, Fredericksburg was still using their old dispatch channel as a simulcast of their new P25 dispatch talkgroup, but they've ditched it since then either due to a planned retirement or technical problems.

KF4ZTO

This may seem obvious (to some?) but don't forget to include SIRS (39.5400 MHz, CSQ) in your conventional Virginia I-95 bank, especially if you're running a scanner antenna that performs decently well on lowband frequencies.

I often hear local sheriff's departments transmitting motor vehicle accident and missing person/BOLO/broadcast/lookout-type "broadcasts" [I presume that the Virginia State Police and/or other local SO vehicles are the intended recipients of these broadcasts] on 39.540 while driving through the more rural areas of Virginia on Interstate 95. VSP has SIRS radios installed in every one of their cruisers and most local SO vehicles have SIRS capability to talk to VSP.

If you're running a handheld scanner with the antenna inside your car, however, your chances of hearing anything on SIRS (or VHF lowband in general) are basically nil.

Program these frequencies in as well, I drive up and down 95 on a very often basis and these are the ones I hear active most often.

39.5400 SIRS
155.2050 VA EMS (mainly for Medevac helos)
155.3400 HEAR
462.9500 MED-9 (mainly for Medevac helos)

If you're so inclined, check out the Medevac DB page for Virginia and program in the appropriate frequencies (155.205, 155.340 and 462.950 are the big ones).

Also, if the weather is adverse (think winter weather), the VDOT lowband system will come alive. If you decide to program in VDOT's system, just put each frequency in as CSQ. Most traffic you'll hear will be repeated anyway. I've driven from Fairfax to Richmond down 95 and was able to listen to the same VDOT repeater the entire way down on 47.340 [PL 110.9 Hz]. 11 frequencies isn't that much. I'm only including 45.760 in this list because VDOT is licensing all their base stations for it as well as mobiles.

If you're looking for public safety/fire dispatch stuff only, skip VDOT entirely. If you have a high performance antenna and the weather is bad, VDOT's VHF lowband system can provide a very surprisingly large amount of information...plus, you can always lock their frequencies out if things get really interesting on the simulcast frequencies others have listed.

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
Nope. I deleted that freq because it was nothing but digital transmissions from the VSP STARS site nearby. I never once heard legitimate analog voice traffic on it.

Please confirm as I'm going off memory since I deleted it. Thanks.

It's still in use, but no CTCSS and very interference prone in parts of Caroline & Spotsy. I'm thinking it's the Thornburg STARS site which you can see from I-95.

73/Allen N4JRI

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
I still have SIRS in there and I used to have the VDOT low band freqs, but when I'm streaming my scanner to my mobile feed the power inverter throws out all kinds of junk on low band so it becomes close to useless.

And I'm not putting that 158.76 back in CSQ just to listen to P25 BRRRRRRAAAP! especially since the Hanover County trunked system is being populated now. Ashland police are on it so I assume Ashland and Doswell fire are on it, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.