OP25 VirtualBox Project - Run OP25 on Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

boatbod

OK now I am completely dead in the water :-(

./rx.py -P fft --args "rtl=0" --gains 'lna:70' -S 2400000 -v 1 -q 1 -f 410.2125e6 -2 -U

./rx.py -P fft --args "rtl=0" --gains 'lna:70' -S 2400000 -v 1 -q 1 -f 410.2125e6 -2 -U

Both those commands copied and pasted onto my system work just fine. You'd probably want to add log redirection "2> stderr.2" as well, but that alone shouldn't stop it working as written.

DRL-XM43

Both those commands copied and pasted onto my system work just fine. You'd probably want to add log redirection "2> stderr.2" as well, but that alone shouldn't stop it working as written.

Sorry boatbod... the command line which now just brings up a help list did include 2> stderr.2 the line got truncated when I did a c/p here in the thread..

Anyway op25 no longer launches and I just get a ./py help list when I try to run it???

So sad I had it working great. Don't know where to start.

apu

DRL,

Are you copy and pasting the command line into your terminal or typing it in?

DRL-XM43

DRL,

Are you copy and pasting the command line into your terminal or typing it in?

I was copy and paste but that worked all along until I tried to make a op25.sh file now it does not work. Should I try typing it in is that a difference?

apu

boatbod said it worked for him and it worked on my system (except, of course, I don't have anything local on that frequency for it to receive). So I'm wondering if something is happening in the copy-and-paste for you. Something trying to be "helpful" and changing a ' to a ` or a -- to a – and breaking rx.py's understanding of your command line arguments in the process.

DRL-XM43

boatbod said it worked for him and it worked on my system (except, of course, I don't have anything local on that frequency for it to receive). So I'm wondering if something is happening in the copy-and-paste for you. Something trying to be "helpful" and changing a ' to a ` or a -- to a – and breaking rx.py's understanding of your command line arguments in the process.

OK guys - My Bad :) I had added boatbods -- noencrypt to my command line which I have stored in my cheater text doc I use for learning the Linux commands and copying from ... I had an extra " - " so when I copied and pasted into the command box it was a bad syntax.

Thanks for being patient and helpful best regards to you all
D.

apu

DRL,

Glad to hear it is working. I've been a Linux sysadmin for 20+ years and still have stray characters make it into a command line once in while. You make a mistake, you learn and you'll probably do it again eventually anyway. Just don't "sudo rm -rf /*" when you meant to "sudo rm -rf .*" instead. Unless you want to test your backups. :)

Dark-Sky

Premium Subscriber
Yesterday I wondered how op25 would do on my RPi pi 3 B+ using a 64bit kernel and complete 64 bit OS. So I downloaded Arch linux's basic 64 bit image to get the basic files I needed to manually build it up with the Mate desktop environment. I then nuked their /boot partition with a U-Boot kernel junk and it's modules and cross compiled on my x64 my kernel using aarch64 toolchain. I maintain this kernel for my friends on satellite forum which is at kernel version 4.20.0-rc1.

https://gitlab.com/Dark-Sky/rpi-udl-linux

Arch's 64bit image uses the kernel from kernel.org and you lose certain drivers which you need. My kernel is Raspian's from their 4.20 branch (with modified modules for satellite viewing) which has support for the missing devices that do not work.

I am still in the early stages building my image but got to the point that I have op25 running and it seems to be working good.

I want to tweak things for a couple of days but if anyone wants to play I will upload the 64bit image to my googledrive for downloading. It should work on the pi3b also. Just let me know.....

First pic is the kernel version
2nd pic is file info on /usr/local/lib/libgnuradio-op25.so that was built
3rd pic is my pi3b+'s Desktop with op25 working and the web interface. (Notice the cpu usage under System Information)

Attachments

• kernel.png
    kernel.png
    14.5 KB · Views: 149
  • lib-info.png
    lib-info.png
    21.7 KB · Views: 151
  • Desktop.jpg
    Desktop.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:

DRL-XM43

Same here. Built fine on Mint 19 in a VBox VM, despite those warnings. Transcript at https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fh6fq86BYgDkY9Plh0zRn0D-s_TOENmZ/view

Ok I have been messing with vBox VM/Mint 19 I am stuck because it does not "see" usb devices specifically dongles.

Any clues on how to remedy this?

Much appreciated D.

PS I have implemented op25 on both a usb pen drive and external HD - I can now whip one up in minutes LOL thanks to all the help here.

A few days ago I was wandering in the wilderness with it... go figure.

boatbod

Ok I have been messing with vBox VM/Mint 19 I am stuck because it does not "see" usb devices specifically dongles.

Much appreciated D.

PS I have implemented op25 on both a usb pen drive and external HD - I can now whip one up in minutes LOL thanks to all the help here.

A few days ago I was wandering in the wilderness with it... go figure.
For a virtualbox guest os to see usb devices you need to tell the host v-box mgr app to forward that device to the virtual machine. You can create rules to do it automatically, but it might be easier to do it manually to start with.

Dark-Sky

Premium Subscriber
I like the new improvements with this site!!!

How does the icecast work or is it a work in progress. Can not find anything in the tree as directions with grep other than the op25/gr-op25_repeater/apps/meta.json file.

Code:
commit 8921c209e06c9bba2b4da5698fb09fceb30b0d42
Author: Graham
Date:   Mon Dec 10 22:15:42 2018 -0500

Additions to support sending Icecast metadata

Last edited:

Dark-Sky

Premium Subscriber
There must be something I am missing. I installed icecast and connect just fine with the browser. I used the defaults in it's config :

stderr-stream0.2 snip:

Icecast error and access logs snips:

Code:
[2018-12-17  10:27:37] WARN admin/admin_handle_request Admin command metadata on non-existent source /stream
Code:
127.0.0.1 - - [17/Dec/2018:10:21:01 -0600] "GET /admin/metadata HTTP/1.1" 400 342 "-" "python-requests/2.20.1" 0

My command line:

Code:
./rx.py --nocrypt -d 100 --args rtl=0 -N 'LNA:46' -M meta.json -f 856.1875e6 -o 50000 -S 2048000 -q -2 -V -T trunk.tsv -U 2> stderr-stream0.2

[ray@arch ~]$ systemctl status icecast

Code:
● icecast.service - Icecast Network Audio Streaming Server
Code:
 Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/icecast.service; disabled; vendor preset: disabled)
Code:
Active: active (running) since Mon 2018-12-17 10:09:44 CST; 23min ago
Code:
Main PID: 4353 (icecast)
Code:
Memory: 2.7M
Code:
CGroup: /system.slice/icecast.service
Code:
└─4353 /usr/bin/icecast -c /etc/icecast.xml

meta.json:

Code:
{"icecastPass": "hackme", "icecastMountpoint": "stream", "icecastServerAddress": "127.0.0.1:8000"}

At this point I do not know if it is a authorization issue or mount point issue looking at the logs. I noticed in /etc/icecast.xml it says this but there is no place for user name in meta.json:

Code:
<!-- Sources log in with username 'source' -->

boatbod

WARN admin/admin_handle_request Admin command metadata on non-existent source /stream

Do you have a source (darkice) streaming to your mountpoint "/stream"?
You won't be able to send metadata if there is no stream...

By the way, there's no configurable icecast username because stream sources always use the username "source"

Dark-Sky

Premium Subscriber
First I heard of installing darkice. I compiled it from AUR and installed it. Now I have to get in to another learning curve. lol

I have to go to town today but will dive in to it when I get back. I am interested in this project.

Thanks,
Ray

Dark-Sky

Premium Subscriber
I did have time to get it going before I left and it works pretty good. The first 2 pics are on my desktop where icast is installed. The last pic is me playing the stream with omxplayer on my raspberry pi connected to my desktop over the lan.

web800.pngaudacious.png

Attachments

• rpi.png
    rpi.png
    24.4 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

DRL-XM43

Much appreciated D.

For anyone doing vBox it turns out to be very simple, once you have created your radio go to preferences go to usb devices and add all the ones you need like select each dongle from the list and add... easy peasie.

... and just for the record it was very easy to add OP25 using boatbod super easy 4 step install (great work boatbod) it works and sounds fantastic.

vBox VM/Mint 19 on Win 10.

Dark-Sky

Premium Subscriber
Boatbod:

I have been testing the op25 icecast streaming for a few days now. I moved it from my desktop to my pi3b+ with 64 Bit OS so it could be a dedicated server. I have had friends test it from around the US and they said it sounded good at their homes. Now I can not only listen at home on the lan but anywhere I go. I am really loving it!!!!

Thanks for your help getting it going.

Ray

Last edited:

VA3DBJ

Ontario Database Admin
Database Admin
When I try to run op25, i am now getting "allocating 15 zero-copy buffers" error coming up.

Using ./rx.py --args 'rtl' -N 'LNA:40' -S 2400000 -f 771.41875e6 -o 15000 -q -2

It was working fine before the "soapysdr0.6-module-redpitaya" was updated today.

boatbod

When I try to run op25, i am now getting "allocating 15 zero-copy buffers" error coming up.

Using ./rx.py --args 'rtl' -N 'LNA:40' -S 2400000 -f 771.41875e6 -o 15000 -q -2

It was working fine before the "soapysdr0.6-module-redpitaya" was updated today.
Error or warning? Does op25 continue to run?

Status
Not open for further replies.