Voice to text for copy paste

Status
Not open for further replies.

ron351

Feed Provider
Pretty new here, and we have a safety group within our neighborhood where we now listen to scanner radio and manually type the dispatched calls to a private group of members in the city so we know what is happening where. I am trying to make it easier by hoping there is a way to do this.

We listen to scanner radio pro on android.
Looking for a way to have calls go from the dispatched voice to text.
I am wondering if there is a way to connect the audio out on earphone to a splitter where it inputs to the audio in on a laptop to the sound card and a app on the laptop will be sent to a app which converts voice to text and is typed out on screen so I can copy and paste the text out to the safety members on our messageboard.

The other wire from the split would flo through and just listen on the laptop speakers.

Basically it would let me listen at the same time calls are printed out on the screen to pick and choose which calls to copy paste to our message board.

Hopefully a pro here may have a suggestion or even if it is possible.
Ron

DickH

Pretty new here, and we have a safety group within our neighborhood where we now listen to scanner radio and manually type the dispatched calls to a private group of members in the city so we know what is happening where. I am trying to make it easier by hoping there is a way to do this.

We listen to scanner radio pro on android.
Looking for a way to have calls go from the dispatched voice to text.
I am wondering if there is a way to connect the audio out on earphone to a splitter where it inputs to the audio in on a laptop to the sound card and a app on the laptop will be sent to a app which converts voice to text and is typed out on screen so I can copy and paste the text out to the safety members on our messageboard.

The other wire from the split would flo through and just listen on the laptop speakers.

Basically it would let me listen at the same time calls are printed out on the screen to pick and choose which calls to copy paste to our message board.

Hopefully a pro here may have a suggestion or even if it is possible.
Ron

How about the telephone? If you call two people and they call two people, etc. Quick and cheap.

ron351

Feed Provider
Look at it this way, what if I am deaf and couldn't hear the scanner, what I am looking to do is have scanner calls type on screen what it is saying, that is all I am asking is if there was a way to do this that anyone has tried, not answers that are of no help.

N8IAA

Look at it this way, what if I am deaf and couldn't hear the scanner, what I am looking to do is have scanner calls type on screen what it is saying, that is all I am asking is if there was a way to do this that anyone has tried, not answers that are of no help.

If you had explained this in your first post, you probably wouldn't have gotten those answers.
Isn't there an incident reporting site in the Cleveland area?
Larry

shonc182

Premium Subscriber
I had to do a setup at the office for somebody that can't use their hands to type pretty recently. I had one of the tech geeks research options and get with the employee. I was told the Dragon was superior to all other options. The setup he did was just a microphone that plugs in to the jack on a computer (desktop in this case) - I have to say it works pretty good for the person it is set up for. There is something about it learning (or having to be set to) the voice of the user....it works much better for her than it does for me. That being said I only really played with it for 5mins one time, but it does work.

There may be issues with different volume levels, voices and static coming out of the scanner not being recognized by the software. Also, there is another potential issue raised here: http://forums.radioreference.com/st...audio-recording/243249-recording-devices.html

EDIT: I realize now that you are probably listening over a phone or tablet, so the link is probably not relevant.

I'm sure Radioshack or similar has the parts to get from the scanner output to the mic input on your computer pretty cheap. Will be curious what you end up trying, though.

By the way, I thought the original question was a good one that stood on it's own merits.

Last edited:

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
I too thought the OP"s post was clear and understandable in intent. Hence my answer.

No bits were harmed in the posting of this message.

ron351

Feed Provider
I had to do a setup at the office for somebody that can't use their hands to type pretty recently. I had one of the tech geeks research options and get with the employee. I was told the Dragon was superior to all other options. The setup he did was just a microphone that plugs in to the jack on a computer (desktop in this case) - I have to say it works pretty good for the person it is set up for. There is something about it learning (or having to be set to) the voice of the user....it works much better for her than it does for me. That being said I only really played with it for 5mins one time, but it does work.

There may be issues with different volume levels, voices and static coming out of the scanner not being recognized by the software. Also, there is another potential issue raised here: http://forums.radioreference.com/st...audio-recording/243249-recording-devices.html

EDIT: I realize now that you are probably listening over a phone or tablet, so the link is probably not relevant.

I'm sure Radioshack or similar has the parts to get from the scanner output to the mic input on your computer pretty cheap. Will be curious what you end up trying, though.

By the way, I thought the original question was a good one that stood on it's own merits.

Appreciate your reply. I kind of figured the noises a scanner makes may confuse a voice recognition software, but didn't think they were meant to recognize 1 persons voice. I can see what your saying there.
Im sure there will be bugs in that it thinks it hears and errors if I do get it to convert what it hears to type to text on screen. If it would get 80 percent I could correct errors and be happy for now.

Will look at your link and check that out and keep a update soon..

ron351

Feed Provider
Dragon - Dragon NaturallySpeaking - Nuance* - Nuance is what comes to my mind.. There may be others..

I have on windows 7 professional similar to this software. Like member shonc182 mentioned and I also had fears of is the other noises the scanner makes. The recordings are actually better then the actual live dispatches.
It will be a work in progress, but the noises and over talk may make the overall time a waste in the long run.
Trial and error, but I am going to see how percentage wise on errors it gets and mess around with it a while.

ron351

Feed Provider
If you had explained this in your first post, you probably wouldn't have gotten those answers.
Isn't there an incident reporting site in the Cleveland area?
Larry

No Larry. We used to have a newspaper but businesses close and this one used to get records of crimes reported to police and post a summary every week in the paper and we knew what areas had break-ins and thefts and gun related and other calls.
The news stations are all glorified these days and repeat the same news over and over again and no one really has a clue what goes on around their homes.
So I created a Facebook group for people who want to know what is going on around their homes.
Some also listen to the police scanner and we manually type in the dispatch calls to our Facebook groups wall.
I was just hoping to find a way to make it easier to capture text from the dispatched police calls to the monitor making it easier to just swipe copy and paste into a post on the Facebook groups wall.

N8IAA

Ah, yes, the old Sun newspapers for the different areas in Cleveland.
I guess that you are listening via phones and tablets to the feeds here on RR. I don't believe that there is a CPD feed anymore. Don't know why. Listen every once in a while.
Hope you find something that you can use.
Larry

ron351

Feed Provider
Ah, yes, the old Sun newspapers for the different areas in Cleveland.
I guess that you are listening via phones and tablets to the feeds here on RR. I don't believe that there is a CPD feed anymore. Don't know why. Listen every once in a while.
Hope you find something that you can use.
Larry

Yes Larry, Sun was good. Also there is a feed for District 1-5 running it just isn't active on Cleveland.com web site. It runs on Broadcastify and works well.
Cleveland Police Dispatch, Brook Park and SW Suburbs Police and Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.