Voltage Level for Pro-106 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

RickS31

Well, it probably won't do any harm but the unit is regulated to take that 9 volts from the external power jack down to what the scanner expects for charged batteries. The scanner will operate successfully down to about 4 volts or slightly less when on batteries, provided you've programmed the battery sensor voltages down accordingly (not recommended as you can also destroy a rechargeable battery by discharging it below 1 volt per battery, but I've done it for a test). The external plug is spec'ed at 9 volts DC to provide 6 volts to the scanner (equal to 4 alkaline batteries @ 1.5 volts X 4) plus have the additional voltage to be able to charge the rechargeable batteries, typically about 7 to 7.5 volts. Since you won't be charging the batteries, 6 volts will work but 9 volts is better especially with keypad and display lights on and using the signal LED as well

Hope that helps.

Rick

Last edited:

Ensnared

I don't understand. Why would a GRE PSR 500/Pro-106 get damaged with the yellow battery holder engaged? I've heard about this, but don't understand why this would be a problem.

If I am understanding this right, the Pro-106 works with the GRE adapter, right? I know they are the same radio. Personally, I abhor those multi-tip adapters sold by RS.

RickS31

The discussion was using the yellow battery holder with rechargeables in it and plugging in the AC adapter. The yellow battery carrier allows the power from the adapter to reach the batteries for recharge. The black one doesn't.

The problem comes in that the scanner has no battery recharge smarts in it. Something that can ultimately destroy the batteries and potentially severely damage the scanner. As long as the adapter is plugged in with the yellow carrier in it, whether the scanner is on or off, the batteries are subject to a high charge rate whether they need it or not. A marginal battery can start overheating further damaging it and creating more heat. Ultimately it can short and leak, or even explode. Imagine what the internals of your expensive scanner could look like.

Having done extensive research on and designed battery charge circuits, this is close to the worst thing you can do to them. In the GRE type scanners even the timer doesn't interrupt the charge voltage in this case. There have been several posts in this forum on users that experienced just such a fate with their radios.

Hope that clarifies my point for ya.

Rick

NewSDScanner

Rick, you've offered such great help. Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it! I'm sure you've saved my scanner a lifetime! Haha

kayi4cle

Premium Subscriber
I ordered the GRE PSR500 AC adapter from ScannerMaster. As you probably know, the Pro-106 is the same as the PSR500. The adapter comes in one piece (you don't have to worry about getting the right tip, etc.), and I like it a lot. Here is a link in case you are interested. When I ordered it, I got a nylon case too. Click here: GRE AC Adapter II

Ensnared

I am curious. Since the black battery holder does not channel a current to the batteries, is it possible to run the scanner without any batteries at all, as long as it is attached to the charger?

RickS31

I am curious. Since the black battery holder does not channel a current to the batteries, is it possible to run the scanner without any batteries at all, as long as it is attached to the charger?

That's in essence what you're doing with the black carrier. The scanner power jack disconnects the batteries when you plug in the adapter. That's one of the reasons you need a pretty good adapter which is well regulated and filtered. The batteries are also disconnected from actually powering the radio with the yellow carrier except there is a path from the adapter to the batteries to charge only. So, leaving the batteries out altogether is not a problem.

Rick

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012

That's in essence what you're doing with the black carrier. The scanner power jack disconnects the batteries when you plug in the adapter. That's one of the reasons you need a pretty good adapter which is well regulated and filtered. The batteries are also disconnected from actually powering the radio with the yellow carrier except there is a path from the adapter to the batteries to charge only. So, leaving the batteries out altogether is not a problem.

Rick
Pro-96 power circuit which requires near 300ma for charging and background lighting turned on. 106 is likely similar except push/pull transistors for charging should deliver additional output up to near 500ma during remote operations and background lighting turned on.

Last edited:

Flipflargin

I ordered the GRE PSR500 AC adapter from ScannerMaster. As you probably know, the Pro-106 is the same as the PSR500. The adapter comes in one piece (you don't have to worry about getting the right tip, etc.), and I like it a lot. Here is a link in case you are interested. When I ordered it, I got a nylon case too. Click here: GRE AC Adapter II
I recently purchased a used Pro-106 that didn't come with the yellow rechargeable battery holder. I will be charging rechargeables outside the scanner for now, but was curious if the GRE rechargeable battery holder would work in the Pro-106?
This one: GRE Rechargable Battery Holder

kf4uuz

Yup, the GRE Rechargeable Battery Holder will work fine in the 106.
In my experience, all of the power supplies mentioned above work well in, the PRO-106, PSR500, PRO-96, PRO-95, & the PRO-93.

RickS31

I recently purchased a used Pro-106 that didn't come with the yellow rechargeable battery holder. I will be charging rechargeables outside the scanner for now, but was curious if the GRE rechargeable battery holder would work in the Pro-106?
This one: GRE Rechargable Battery Holder

Even getting the yellow battery holder, it's not a good idea to charge batteries in the GRE based units. No charging intelligence built in to them and can destroy both your batteries and possibly the scanner too. Been lots of previous discussion on this through the GRE and RS forums.

Rick

KK4TTR

Ok I have a Pro106. It works fine with black holder and alkaline batteries and works fine with rechargeable batteries and yellow holder. As soon as I plug in a new RS 9v 800MA adapter with the center pin positive the radio does not power on. Unplug a radio works fine. I tried three different chargers at the store with same results. Any ideas guys

Were you able to resolve your external power issue? I have the same problem, when I connect the external power source, 9V 1000mA DC adapter, the unit does not power on.

TIA

RickS31

Were you able to resolve your external power issue? I have the same problem, when I connect the external power source, 9V 1000mA DC adapter, the unit does not power on.

TIA

The 106 and the like are very sensitive to the size of plug on the adapter. The plug may fit (even feeling snug) but not make a connection. It is essential to have the exact size plug. In radio shack verbage, this is an adapter plug "C' or "B". Assuming you've had a means to verify your AC adapter is indeed putting out the voltage, chances are pretty good it's not the right size plug. Also, need to insure the center tip is positive voltage. I have an adapter that came with 7 different sizes of plugs. Went through 3 out of the 7 before I found the right one even though the other two appeared to fit fine.

KK4TTR

Rick, I'm using the "C" adaptaplug, and it's oriented correctly. Haven't checked the voltage, but I'll take a look at it when I get home.

I picked up the 9V AC adapter and 9V DC adapter to use with the Pro-106, and was surprised when it didn't power on using the DC adapter. I can check both later and will reply with results. May end up taking them back and ordering the GRE adapter, but don't want to end up dealing with mail order, when RS is right in the neighborhood.

Best Buy is right around the corner, too. I could buy an armful of adapters and keep trying them. From what I've read in this thread, it seems to be pretty much hit and miss. :confused:

Baylink

Premium Subscriber
There is one other point on external-power that seems worthwhile to make here, and I haven't seen anyone do so yet:

We tend to say, when speccing an aftermarket wall wart, "get the voltage and polarity right, and make sure the mAh rating is *high enough*".

It's possible for the adapter to be rated *too* high for the device, too, and what I mean by that -- before you all wig out :) -- is that some adapters won't go into regulation properly *unless they have a high enough load*; it's usually not a good idea to use a wall wart rated for *more* than twice the average load of the device, and the closer down you can get without going under, the better.

GumbyCT

TIA
My 1st 106 had trouble when the voltage was more that 6V but it did power on the display. Give that a try if nothing else makes sense.

This sounds like the exact adapter that RS recommends so I don't think the problem is the 1A capability.

Good Luck

reconrider8

so what should the adapter stay on then i got the one from rs with different settings and what should the little bar be on for rechargeable batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.