Voltage Level for Pro-106 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

GumbyCT

Got a new Pro-106 and this darn thing doesn't come with anything to power it. What were they thinking? Not batteries, wall wart, or cigarette light plug. Nothin, nada, zip.

The Owners Manual , on pg 21, says you can use ANY Class 2 power source that supplies 9V DC and supplies at least 500 mA with the tip set to positive. Doesn't give the size or specs for the tip but I got over that and bought a 1300mA Universal Power Adapter.

Set it to 9V and measured because they usu. run a bit over. This one is measured 8.98 Volts and tip is positive - OK great. It comes with a variety of adapters so find the right one and we are good to go - right?

Not so fast.
The 106 worked fine with my "new" rechargeable batteries but when I plugged in the adapter it would power up fine or so it appeared. Displayed that it was "Scanning" however the 4th line never changed. It took me awhile to notice this and awhile longer to figure out that 9V was just too high for this RS Pro-106.

To make a long story short - 6.03V works but 7.54 and 8.98V both just display "Scanning" but never break squelch when a signal is present. Tested alongside my Pro-197. The scan appears to be a bit sluggish, too.

But when the voltage is too high, I can tell now by looking at the 4th line. It never changes or changes extremely slowly.

I searched but didn't find any others post questioning the voltage level for the Pro-106, so I just thought I'd ask if any other folks are having this sort of trouble?

Why would RS recommend 9V if it doesn't work?

Am I the only person having this problem? If so, what am I doing wrong?

Yes, I am certain it is a voltage problem. Dropping the voltage fixes it every time.

fwiw - the 106 was cloned from the 197 so that puzzled me even more.

GumbyCT

In fact, correcting the battery type was the 1st thing I tried and another annoyance. Since I cloned it from the 197 and the 197 doesn't have batteries I couldn't figure out why that would have changed. But that's for another post.

When that didn't work I deleted the object it was stuck on (in the 4th line). I thought maybe something for that object was incorrect and causing the problem. But thought why - cuz the 197 I cloned from didn't get stuck on that. So then it just got stuck on the next object.

When I got back to basics, it was double checking the power supply and trying to figure out if it works on 4 AA batteries = 6V then why was RS calling for 9V to power it?

Which leads to another question - are there other RS scanners that have this voltage disparity? And/or are sold without a power supply?

In fact, a RS power supply is not even recommended and the parameters specified do not even work (for me). What gives?

Certainly I can't be the 1st person to run into this?
GumbyCT

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
I use the Shack's 9V 1000ma wall wart wit the C plug and it works fine with the 106.
You are correct that the radio proper only needs 6V (4x1.5). The higher voltage allows the batteries to charge. On my 96 I used a cig lighter plug and found it worked fine with 7.5V.

A lot of us use rechargeable batteries and an external charger. That said when I am in the car for a long trip I will use the cig lighter unit but use the black battery case to not charge batteries.

Not sure why your rig locked up with the wall wart especially withh the voltage in range. If still in warranty may want to have them exchange it or check it.

GumbyCT

I have no idea how this charging circuit works - I do know that even when the radio has run down the batteries when I hook up at 7.5V it locks the display up again.

If I charge ALL nite at 9 or 7.5V with the radio off - when I first turn it on it will lock up, until I get the batteries down a bit from using the lite, etc. Or hook it back up at 6V.

These are brand new rechargeables.

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
Under warranty or not sounds like it needs repair.

GumbyCT

Just got back from the Shack. The short story is it appears to be working (a bit differently) better than the other. But I certainly want more time to evaluate it.

Thanks

GumbyCT

Edit:
Sorry I meant to say the short story was the Mgr. swapped the scanner with another for me and the new one seems to be working better, right now. If anyone is good with serial # the new one begins with 011 where the old began with 015. Not sure if that means anything?

GumbyCT

Well, that problem seems to be resolved. My thanks to the store manager who initially didn't understand my problem but worked for a solution all the same.

Now I have to ask another question that maybe isn't related - maybe it is the design of the 106.

On both units when plugging or unplugging the power source the scanner often displays -
**Low Voltage**
Replace or
Recharge the
Batteries

But then there are times when the scanner does continue scanning - which I think is the desired option.

No scanning takes place and No keys are active while this message is displayed. The only way I've been able to continue is to momentarily turn the On/Off switch Off then back ON. More of a nuisance or annoyance than anything.

But if you are chasing a call and grab the scanner, unplug it while running out the door you are extremely likely to miss the next transmission(s), even IF you do remember to cycle the power.

I don't remember my lowly Pro-135 behaving this way. I should also point out this message occurs even with fully charged batteries.

Now I am wondering if others get this message also?

Maybe this is worthy of separate thread listing the "Annoyances of the Pro 106". Not that it's not a good scanner - I do like it. It just seems to have some design quirks.

Anyone else get this message on their Pro-106?

Thanks for all input.

sector4666

Pro-106 voltages

I have 2 Pro-106s and a 197 . I use a REGULATED ( WHITE ) 9 V 500 mah charger to charge
4 FUJI 2800 mah batterys . FINE PRINT READS No matter what charger you use , the circuit only
allows 150 mah to chaerge the batteries for MAX of 16 hours. That's a 2400 mah charge. so I turn the
radio on for a few minutes, then turn it off to begin charging for an additional 4 hours to top off the 2800
mah batteries. total 20 hour charge . this Gives me about 12-14 hours worth of listening ..You should
use TOP QUALITY NIMH Batteries as there are alot of junk NIMH Batteries on the market . These
radios - and I say this from experience, not trying it, should easily take up to 12 volts or more with no
problem . You may want to take a good CLOSE MAGNIFY GLASS look at your yellow battery holder,
may have a small intermittent broken spring or something ?? I've had these radios 4 months and never had a problem . - - also could be a setting not correct somewhere, but sounds like you've tried about everything ...maybe the charger is bad ? Doesnt make any sense unless something is wrong inside the battery connection in the radio ...maybe a piece of crud got inside there , shorting something out ??
would try cleaning arouind the barrel with a toothpick ..If all else fails, do a microprocessor reset...I think that can be accomplished as maybe a bug that needs to be cleaned out , or maybe a few litterally crawled into the radio , a few ants maybe walking around the tiny circuit boards getting fried inside wouldnt be good ....RAID !!!!! just kidding ... just a few thoughts .....

sfd901

Pro 106 ac adapter problems

Ok I have a Pro106. It works fine with black holder and alkaline batteries and works fine with rechargeable batteries and yellow holder. As soon as I plug in a new RS 9v 800MA adapter with the center pin positive the radio does not power on. Unplug a radio works fine. I tried three different chargers at the store with same results. Any ideas guys

DonS

Ok I have a Pro106. It works fine with black holder and alkaline batteries and works fine with rechargeable batteries and yellow holder. As soon as I plug in a new RS 9v 800MA adapter with the center pin positive the radio does not power on. Unplug a radio works fine. I tried three different chargers at the store with same results. Any ideas guys

I would guess the "wrong tip" is being used.

I cannot suggest a "correct tip", as I exclusively use the GRE P/N 100-010 adapter for all of my GRE-made handhelds (except the PRO-92 EDIT: and PRO-107).

DonS

Don do you think the adapter you mentioned would work on the PRo106

Yes. The PRO-106 is one of "my GRE-made handhelds" with which I use that adapter.

EDIT: I use that adapter with my: PRO-93, PRO-95, PRO-96, PRO-97, PRO-106, PSR-300, and PSR-500.

redburgundy

Premium Subscriber
I use the Uniden Model AD-0008 power adapter that came with a Uniden BC92xlt (but you can buy them separately).
The output is 6V DC, 500mA, it has the correct connector, and it powers my PRO-106 just fine.

GumbyCT

I use the Uniden Model AD-0008 power adapter that came with a Uniden BC92xlt (but you can buy them separately).
The output is 6V DC, 500mA, it has the correct connector, and it powers my PRO-106 just fine.
Do you happen to know if there is any charge to the batteries at 6V?

GumbyCT

I don't know.
I use a La Crosse BC-900 to charge my batteries.
I don't think mine did when I used 6V. But I never really confirmed it. Good to know if you have other power packs around ;)

I guess if you charge batteries out of the scanner it prob doesn't matter.

I like to charge mine each nite when I plug it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.