Volume Offset

Status
Not open for further replies.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Last year I discovered that if I use a +3 volume offset on an unusually quite channel (I did try NFM too) that if I put the HP-1 in record mode and turn the volume all the way down (like to go to bed) I can still hear that one channel on the HP-1. If I remove the +3 volume offset I can now turn the volume all the way down and not hear anything (of course the record on the HP-1 still works properly regardless of the volume control setting).

I wonder if this is true of the other Unidens with this function and if there might be a work around.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for looking into this!

This is interesting, I thought I understood how the “volume offset” worked but now I wonder if that is true. The way I thought it worked was, if I have my volume at level “10” then the channel I have a +3 “offset” on would be at level “13” (however it cannot exceed the maximum volume of the radio). Therefore, the one channel I had at +3 “volume offset” on was still at volume level 3 when I turned all the others to volume level “0”. This I thought was why I was barely hearing it.

If the above is true I cannot seem to see what you are gaining by having all your channels at +3 since you cannot (as far as I know) make them louder with the offset adjustment than you can with the volume control.

How quite is it when you listened? It is barely auditable to me at +3 but in a very quiet bedroom when you are trying to sleep it is distracting.

Thanks again for helping out!

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
If you're saying that you want to sleep un-disturbed while still recording.....

in the menu, set your mute option to "permanent", and hit the mute button when you go to bed.. the unit is still recording while mute is on. In the morning, hit the mute button again to un-mute, then press replay.

QDP2012

not true on my 396xt. ALL of my channels are set to +3 and when the volumes at 0, it remains dead silent

You might have already tested this, but the OP's situation might occur only when there is a difference between channels, when their volume-offsets are not the same (when only one or a few are +3), instead of them all being the same (all +3).

Just a thought,

RF23

Premium Subscriber
If you're saying that you want to sleep un-disturbed while still recording.....

in the menu, set your mute option to "permanent", and hit the mute button when you go to bed.. the unit is still recording while mute is on. In the morning, hit the mute button again to un-mute, then press replay.

I don't know why I did not think of that but that should fix the problem.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.