Vox recorders

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanner404

Feed Provider
Anyone know of any free/good VOX or Sound Activating Recording programs that can be downloaded so I can record scanner audio? I've been using the free one from Nino Porcino, but it's a little outdated (1998) and I was looking for something with a few more features. I am now trying Audacity (Beta version), but can't figure out how to use it to VOX record. I'm looking for one that can preferably keep track of the time as it records. I know that's a lot to ask for, but any help greatly appreciated.

OCO

Anyone know of any free/good VOX or Sound Activating Recording programs that can be downloaded so I can record scanner audio? I've been using the free one from Nino Porcino, but it's a little outdated (1998) and I was looking for something with a few more features. I am now trying Audacity (Beta version), but can't figure out how to use it to VOX record. I'm looking for one that can preferably keep track of the time as it records. I know that's a lot to ask for, but any help greatly appreciated.
Audacity:
On the Menu items under the tool bar, on "audio host" set the input for your line in or microphone...
On the Tool Bar -->Transport-->Sound Activated Recording(on/off)-- and just below that is the Sound Activation Level adjustment. You can also select Software Play-through (on/off) From the Transport menu to hear the recorded audio from your PC speakers.

Scanner Recorder and Scanner Recorder Pro from Davee.com are actually pretty good, but last I knew he hadn't finished the MP3 option, leaving .wav as the only output option.

Last edited:

Placid1

I use ID Tracker III with my scanner.
While it does more than just record, it does a great job for me at recording scanner traffic.
Its also free.

Baton Rouge Area Scanning - ID Tracker

Here is what the audio player/recorder part looks like.

Attachments

• track3sl.jpg
    track3sl.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 3,172
Last edited:

Skud

Feed Provider
Middleville, MI-Barry County(Near G.R. & Ionia
While it does more than just record, it does a great job for me at recording scanner traffic.
Its also free.

Only problem is it only works with certain scanners as it needs to communicate with the scanner and does not listen for audio to start recording. I wish it did.

Placid1

does not listen for audio to start recording.

Not sure about that. I use single segment recording. It seperates each call.
I can listen to a call that happened at a certain time very easily. Never any dead space like if it was constantly recording.
If I want to listen to what happened while I was asleep on freq. I just select it and it will play thru all the calls that happened one right after another. Maybe its not a true vox but it must be using some way to only capture the calls with no gaps between and seperate them by user.
If your scanner works with it give it a try. If you dont like it, get rid of it and try something else.

Last edited:

gdsteele

Premium Subscriber
I use xcorder. Downloads. I think it does exactly what you are trying to do.

Give it a try - it's freeware.

- Jerry

scanner404

Feed Provider
I use xcorder. Downloads. I think it does exactly what you are trying to do.

Give it a try - it's freeware.

- Jerry
Thanks Jerry! this one is what I was looking for; however I can't seem to figure out why the volume bar shifts down after I raise it in the Xcorder program to playback what I recorded. It starts out fine, then slowly shifts to mute. Any idea's?
Thanks Again

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
I was wondering the same thing. I downloaded the program after seeing this thread. The recording is right on the money. But that bar keeps sliding down until you have no audio. I cant figure it out!

Manny

Vox

I like and use the recorder from Scanner Recorder Home Page

It's truly voice activated and has a visual, adjustable audio "squelch".

As a matter of fact I used it just last night to capture the church fire in Somers.

It continued to record the events even after I eventually went to sleep at 2AM.

From the website:

Scanner Recorder provides a switched recorder that listens to the sound coming into the audio card and if the sound is above the minimum threshold, the recorder operates. If the sound level falls below the threshold, the recorder pauses.

Since the recorder starts and stops based on what it hears, Scanner Recorder incorporates an anti-clipping feature that keeps the very beginning of the audio that breaks the squelch threshold from being clipped off. The result is that when sound is played back, there is no noticeable "click". Also the beginning of the audio event is not clipped off (like mechanical vox recorders do).

It's Freeware with no adware or nags.

Hope this helps.

~Doc

mrwilson706

Premium Subscriber
+1 on ID Tracker III

Not sure about that. I use single segment recording. It seperates each call.
I can listen to a call that happened at a certain time very easily. Never any dead space like if it was constantly recording.
If I want to listen to what happened while I was asleep on freq. I just select it and it will play thru all the calls that happened one right after another. Maybe its not a true vox but it must be using some way to only capture the calls with no gaps between and seperate them by user.
If your scanner works with it give it a try. If you dont like it, get rid of it and try something else.

I installed ID tracker III after reading this thread yesterday and have been very impressed with what it does. As Placid1 said, with single segment recording, you essentially have a .wav file for each system you've chosen to record with searchable tracks of audio events in each file. Very impressive!

Using a bcd396xt
Regards,
Mike

socoscanner

Link is dead!
and +1 for xcorder...the biggest drawback i have for it is that it will only record in one hour segments or all as one whole recording...it will not create a new file for each transmission

Its also free.

Here is what the audio player/recorder part looks like.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Since it's been over two years since the link was posted, it's not surprising it's dead.

Please don't revive threads that are haven't had any posts in years. Find a more recent thread and if that can't be done, start a new thread.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.