VSP 800 in Tidewater & York Co. Hi-band

Status
Not open for further replies.

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
More stuff from my file updates:

VSP has an STA for what appear to be conventional repeaters on 866.4875, 867.9875 and 868.4875. I wonder if these may apply to the mountain tunnels also?

WQHT577 - Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel (applied for an extension on Monday)
WQGD360 - Midtown & Downtown Tunnels in Norfolk
WQGD361 - Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel and Monitor-Merrimack Tunnels on peninsula

They are apparently getting short extensions on these licenses until they can be rebanded. VSP tells FCC that this system is in active use.

Has anybody heard these, or have PL-type info?

A much stranger deal is a York County system with repeaters on 155.6925, 155.6625, and 155.7825 all with an apparent repeater input of 153.815. Callsign is WQEA857 and it's supposed to be EMS-related. One site is listed as Chesapeake...erroneously set in Northampton County.

Comments?

73/Allen (N4JRI)

kc4jgc

I'll try to remember to enter those freqs in my scanner this weekend, Allen.

Seems odd that York Co needs towers in Chesapeake and Gloucester to facilitate EMS comms.

Don_Burke

n4jri said:
One site is listed as Chesapeake...erroneously set in Northampton County.
There actually was/is a town of Chesapeake in Northampton County. I drove through there about a year ago and saw no signs for it, but it may still be some reference to it on some maps.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
I wonder if the Glouster site might be tied in with the prospect of Glouster joining the York County system in the foreseeable future. Not sure why there would be a site in Northampton County (unless it can reach sections of Glouster that cannot be reached from other locations).

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
LEH said:
I wonder if the Glouster site might be tied in with the prospect of Glouster joining the York County system in the foreseeable future. Not sure why there would be a site in Northampton County (unless it can reach sections of Glouster that cannot be reached from other locations).

I didn't realize about the Chesapeake located in Northampton County, but it may make sense now. The map showed the site actually in the city of Chesapeake, but this could be the actual error.

With all the trunked stuff, and with Poquoson and Gloucester going that way, I just don't understand what's up with a system like this.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

kc4jgc

n4jri said:
I didn't realize about the Chesapeake located in Northampton County, but it may make sense now. The map showed the site actually in the city of Chesapeake, but this could be the actual error.

I thought about the unincorperated community breifly as well; as Allen pointed out, the map reference as well as the lat/long) is in the city of Chesapeake.

I'm searching through those freqs to see if something comes up. So far, many of what sounds like "key ups" but that's it.

UPDATE: After listening for over 5 hours (6pm now), I've heard nothing on the supposed York County EMS freqs. The only traffic I've heard in the search window were Mathews County Sheriff (155.61) and Surry County FD
(155.67). You'd think an EMS freq would have at least a few calls during that time.

Last edited:

richardbritt

Database Admin
Hi Allen,

I live sorta near the Downtown tunnel (by river I am very close - farther by road miles) but I have not heard anything on those 800 freqs. VSP does have a office for the troopers use at them (at least they used to when I was a Chesapeake cop). I am wondering if they might be some sort of repeater for the vsp car radio to be able to communicate with the 5th division? Basically a local repeater in case they need to talk from inside the tunnels to their dispatcher. I know the 453.85 stuff is the same as always for the VDOT people.

Richard from Chesapeake W4MCD

MOTORHEAD3902

So I understand, there is to be the same set-up in the tunnels that NYPD has in that city's subways, "leaky coax" run through them channeling the 700mhz tfc for use by the STARS portables. I have run throught the different tgs on my STARS portable and have taken note of several tgs tagged "TUNNEL A, B, C," etc.
I don't know how far they have rolled out this particular leg of the STARS empire.:lol:

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
Licensing seems to indicate that these are conventional frequencies, and that digital audio is an option. All three freqs are licensed at all locations. I also checked on the two tunnels in Bland County and found VSP licensed for similar action on 458.35 simplex.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
MORE VSP 800 stuff -- trunked!

Check out WQFZ347. This is a trunked system licensed to VSP which, like the tunnel freqs, is on an STA for which they're asking an extension. (not yet able to reband the frequencies) I can't be sure, but this looks like it might be for the STARS trailer. Never mind...it IS the STARS trailer.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.