VSP Announces STARS Operational Statewide

Status
Not open for further replies.

billsblots

As posted a couple of days ago by kd8x, Wytheville Division 4 sites are working. Today the VSP STARS office officially announced that STARS is operational statewide.

All LMR repeater sites are up, however VSP acknowledges spotty coverage in most counties in Division 4, and state agencies are authorized to continue to use the legacy FM system in those areas in Division 4 until solutions are implemented for better digital coverage.

billsblots

STARS has received an exemption from the Freedom of Information Act, I don't know that anyone would or could release an official Commonwealth email. Being as it's not technical system information, possibly they could.

loco-lee

Thanks, I will keep looking for the announcement.

I am just curious if they mentioned that they are also still using the "Legacy FM sites" in Division 7 (Fairfax County) and Division 2 (Rockingham County)?

gcgrotz

Seems like a press release would be forthcoming, after all they have spent many millions of taxpayer money on it.

c5corvette

Premium Subscriber
Seems like a press release would be forthcoming, after all they have spent many millions of taxpayer money on it.

I would agree, a press release should be in order! The statewide announcements that 'billsblots' is refering to... the ones I have seen usually come in the form of a letter on VSP letterhead or via an email from a radio person at VSP.

lmonty50

Stars Scaning

I seem to be having trouble receiving VSP on the Stars system. I live in Carroll County. I received both Salem and Wytheville under regulars Vhf frequency I saw something on Wiki about using table and Win96. I have tried with or without setting the table. I am using a pro 96 receiver.

Larry1014

Listening to Virginia State Police

I have a New Home Patrol and can not pick up anything on State Police. Shouldn't this Scanner pick them up even with the new system They went to? Thanks in advance.

gcgrotz

Hi Imonty50 and Larry1014; welcome to RR. I can't help either of you since I only run a Uniden 396 here. I think there will be lot's of help but you may want to re-post by starting a new topic here in the VA forum because this thread is kind of a dead end. There has been a TON of discussion on STARS for several years now on here. The Pro-96 users probably have files they will send you, but what you really need is to get Win96 software to do your programming. Look here in the software forums and the RR Wiki for more info on software.

As for the Home Patrol, I haven't a clue but it seems like it ought to work. Where are you, what antenna are you using, home or vehicle, etc.?

Anyway, welcome to you both and hang around, your questions will get answered.

Larry1014

Hi gcgrotz, Thanks for the welcome. I live in Portsmouth near Norfolk. I am using the stock Antenna but thinking about a outside one. I had a discone for years with other scanners but never seemed like it did that great. Still researching the best one for the HP1. Oh yes, using it at home mostly. My brother is a retired state trooper , going to call him today and see if he might be able to help. Thanks again.

c5corvette

Premium Subscriber

Look what was in a newsletter that showed up in my email box today ;-)

Attachments

• stars2.JPG
    stars2.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 361

gcgrotz

Wow, all good things come to those who wait! Thanks for that post.

I wonder when they will start taking down the old stuff? I know the tower at Bearden is probably overloaded with unused dishes, feedlines, etc. The legacy system's antennas are still there but at least they are in use, sort of. Lots of good contracts for tower companies anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.