VSP - operation Land, Air & Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc4jgc

Lots of activity earlier today on TAC 1 (154.695) pulling speeders on I-95 in the Chester area. Was hearing the trooper in the air as far north as Kings Dominion. After the trooper on the ground had the speeder pulled over, the air trooper then gave the recorded speed and current time.

For those not aware today & tomorrow there is stepped up enforcement on I-95 and I-81.

jim202

When did they start using that frequency? Was not aware that they had any other channels beyond the district channels and the one called Tactical.

kc4jgc said:
Lots of activity earlier today on TAC 1 (154.695) pulling speeders on I-95 in the Chester area. Was hearing the trooper in the air as far north as Kings Dominion. After the trooper on the ground had the speeder pulled over, the air trooper then gave the recorded speed and current time.

For those not aware today & tomorrow there is stepped up enforcement on I-95 and I-81.

Gilligan

Database Admin
jim202 said:
When did they start using that frequency? Was not aware that they had any other channels beyond the district channels and the one called Tactical.
It shows up as channel 14 - surveillance here.

gcgrotz

I used to listen to VSP on that freq 20+ years ago flying around Central VA looking for pot. Also remember a big op they had going following a guy around town for weeks. It was our daily entertainment in the radio shop for a while. They had a base set up in a hotel even.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
I also know of them using it as log as I can remember. about 10 or years ago, I heard them using their radar-detector-detectors on I81 between Roanoke and Staunton. it sounded like one trooper was ahead of the other in an unmarked car and looking for cars using radar-detectors. they would radio the marked unit down the interstate to pull over the cars with the detectors. hope all of that made sense.

tuttleje

Ever wonder why there are two white lines spaced about 1/4 of a mile apart on the Interstate highways? Now you know why. They use the lines for the VASCAR in the airplane. All they need is the time and distance. With the white lines, they have the distance. Then they measure the time it takes to travel between the two lines.....now they have your speed. The troopers on the ground are given, via 154.695 Mhz., the speed and description of the speeding vehicles (Unless your very close, you cannot hear the ground trooper). The trooper pulls out onto the Interstate. The spotter in the airplane then tells the ground trooper when the vehicle is next to the ground trooper. The airplane will then verify that the trooper is stopping the correct vehicle. The ground trooper provides the spotter the tag information. The spotter then gives the ground trooper the confirmed speed and time. The spotter maintains a log of the stops. The ground trooper writes the ticket. Both troopers go to court to testify. Instant conviction.

Last edited:

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
next time you are driving on the one of the interstates in VA do this...

when you see the lines coming up, adjust your speed to be EXACTLY 65MPH or whatever the limit is in that area. either count the seconds or if with someone else, have them time it with a watch/stopwatch. I did it once but I forget the the time. once you know the exact time, you can adjust your speed accordingly next time you are are speeding and cross the first line. you will be going under the speed limit, but you'll cross the last line at or over the time you got from before. they only time you, they don't know your crossed the first line at 75 and the last at 55 or whatever it would be.

I do not endorse speeding. :)

MOTORHEAD3902

Hey Y'all
A little clarification may be needed...

TAC 1 is a talkgroup on the STARS system.
Conventional TAC is 154.665 simplex
SURVEILLANCE is 154.695 simplex

enjoy
b a

Status
Not open for further replies.