VX-3 Mod WANTED to enable TX on 460mhz band, Yaesu

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmittyNYUSA

Modification WANTED to enable Transmit on my Yaesu VX-3 on the 460 mhz band.

Any help would be appreciated. If you can send me an ACTUAL LINK to a webpage with the instructions that would be appreciated. I have seen some references that are vague and I can't figure out where they are refering to, eg. check so and so forum.

Thanks,
Smitty

Mod note: Please do not include personal contact information in your posts

Last edited by a moderator:

conve36

Modification WANTED to enable Transmit on my Yaesu VX-3 on the 460 mhz band.

Any help would be appreciated. If you can send me an ACTUAL LINK to a webpage with the instructions that would be appreciated. I have seen some references that are vague and I can't figure out where they are refering to, eg. check so and so forum.

Thanks,
Smitty

Mod note: Please do not include personal contact information in your posts

It is illegal to modify HAM radios for "out of band transmit". If I were you I would not talk about it on public forums asking how to do it. BUT, not that I am telling you to modify it or how to perform the mod... HINT: GOOGLE IT!

elk2370bruce

If you are a member of a first aid squad or fire company, they should be providing you with any radios that are required for your assigned roles and tasks. Otherwise, why are you doing this? As indicated above, such a mod of an amateur radio is illegal and would also be severely frowned upon by the licensee for that department/agency and subject to prosecution.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Good Lord...NY State Troopers were walking around with modified Yaesu radios for the Thruway because GE radios were garbage. It is NOT illegal to modify the radio. It IS illegal to USE it, but mere possession is not illegal.

conve36

If I licensed amateur operator was to be in possession of a modified ham radio and just happened to get inspected by the FCC, he/she could lose their license right??

prcguy

Absolutely not, where does this misinformation come from???

Its not illegal to mod the radio, you can parade it around your local FCC office and all they can do is ask you to leave. Or they might ask you to stay for lunch if your mod was well thought out and implemented nicely. Just don't program any transmit frequencies that are out of the original type accepted range of the radio.

When I had the FCC visit my house about 30yrs ago in the wild CB days, the radio they tested had extra channels and the clarifier had been modified for transmit but since the complaint was not for off frequency operation they could not cite me for the mods.
prcguy

If I licensed amateur operator was to be in possession of a modified ham radio and just happened to get inspected by the FCC, he/she could lose their license right??

elk2370bruce

"It is NOT illegal to modify the radio. It IS illegal to USE it"

Why the hell would someone mod a radio without intending to use it? Inquiring minds wanna know.
There are sites (mentioned above) that explain out of amateur band mods. It remains the decision of the original poster as to which set of "grey' values that apply to his situation. So long as he/she doesn't interfere with the systems that are in my area of responsibility - I could care less and will let finer legal minds make any determination that may be necessary.

prcguy

I constantly use modified amateur radios in the shop as signal sources to tune commercial amplifiers into a load or to check and calibrate wattmeters into loads, etc. For me these radios are test equipment. and as long as I keep the signals from radiating outside my shop why would anyone care?
prcguy

"It is NOT illegal to modify the radio. It IS illegal to USE it"

Why the hell would someone mod a radio without intending to use it? Inquiring minds wanna know.
There are sites (mentioned above) that explain out of amateur band mods. It remains the decision of the original poster as to which set of "grey' values that apply to his situation. So long as he/she doesn't interfere with the systems that are in my area of responsibility - I could care less and will let finer legal minds make any determination that may be necessary.

SCPD

QRT
Why is it.,

Here I go again. Bear with me, this is one of my favorite wah's!

Why is it, every single time someone ask how to modify a ham radio for their "work" frequency, the first post is always the type acceptance police? "It's illegal, it's illegal"

It's time for the regulars on RR to simply just pass by a query like this, if you either don't know, or don't care to share how to modify a ham radio. Let's face it, is the radio going to generate some sort of spurious interference, or suddenly have more harmonics than a Blues Festival? Any radio made in the last 20 years is going to be tighter than it's commercial counterpart. Let's stop all this unsolicited free legal advice everyone want's to give out.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
if it's illegal it's illegal

Until the law is changed. I'm sure if it wasn't illegal, the amateur radios would be sold with full transmit!

rescuecomm

Good Lord...NY State Troopers were walking around with modified Yaesu radios for the Thruway because GE radios were garbage. It is NOT illegal to modify the radio. It IS illegal to USE it, but mere possession is not illegal.

Too bad they don't view marijauna the same way. I thought the Dept of Homeland Security had some regulations about private radios programmed to transmit on police frequencies.

Bob

Last edited:

BonziBuddy

The VX-3 only transmits 1 watt on UHF when on battery power. What are you trying to use it for?

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
But not in Canada

I do see that the warning on some radios from the FCC state that the radio cannot be modified to receive Cellular Radiotelephone frequencies. However, of note from 2007 in Canada can be found at: SITT Gateway - I am not a lawyer, but the wording in some of this seems to imply that it is illegal in Canada.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Some handy factoids regarding modified ham gear:

* Many ham rigs are actually designed for out of band operation (clip diode, etc.)
* Most such modifications are intended for either MARS or similar use, or possible future ham bands.
* Making such modifications is not illegal
* Unless the radio is type accepted for the specific use, transmitting IS illegal
* Unless you do something really stupid, no one with any level of real authority cares
* There is no radio police out to bust hams for owning modified radios. See above.
* As stated, modified ham rigs make excellent service tools that are not available anywhere else.

N1BHH

It's only illegal if you are caught and the radio is not type accepted for the frequency in question.

D

DaveNF2G

Here I go again. Bear with me, this is one of my favorite wah's!

Why is it, every single time someone ask how to modify a ham radio for their "work" frequency, the first post is always the type acceptance police? "It's illegal, it's illegal"

It's time for the regulars on RR to simply just pass by a query like this, if you either don't know, or don't care to share how to modify a ham radio. Let's face it, is the radio going to generate some sort of spurious interference, or suddenly have more harmonics than a Blues Festival? Any radio made in the last 20 years is going to be tighter than it's commercial counterpart. Let's stop all this unsolicited free legal advice everyone want's to give out.

Take another look at the thread. There was no response to this query at all for three days. Then someone mentioned the illegality of the activity and the thread exploded. There was plenty of time for anyone who wanted to avoid the truth of the matter to put in some information about modifications. Nobody did.

RadioDaze

The reason the "Type Acceptance Police" arrive at scenes like this is to offer a reason why people aren't replying promptly with mod advice, as well as to educate a possibly uninformed poster that what he is seeking to do is illegal. Every chance we have to discourage a modder, who may eventually use a radio illegally, we should do so. 'Yeah, so what if the modder gets in trouble by using the radio, that's his problem, right?' Well, it also increases the chance that there will be one more instance that might give an agency justification to encrypt their system.

N8IAA

Being that the OP hasn't answered anyone's post leaves one wondering why. My guess is that they want to have an extra FRS radio that just won't work. Tried the software mod on my VX-2. It wouldn't even talk to my other FRS radios. Go figure:D He sure got a charge out of everyone ragging on the legalities of using a modded ham radio. Wish someone would tell my county PD that it's illegal;)
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.