• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

VX-4207 / VX-4600 Out of Band???

NC4AB

Premium Subscriber
I realize these are 20-year-old radios but came across some of these radios that are on the "D" band (450-520 MHz) and would like to put them on 440 amateur frequencies.
I found several 10+ year old threads describing how to get them out of band but the steps described didn't work on the newer software versions.

Any tips / suggestions / pointers would be appreciated.

NC4AB

radiotweester

If that was the 4200 info I posted??? It works on CE59 V5.04
Get Windows Enabler and open it and click on the folder icon so it says On.
Unwrite protect/Read-Only the default ud file.
Open CE-59 and open the default ud file.
Go to Common then hardware and change the 450 to 440 then Save.
Read your 4200 and you should be good to enter ham 440.
I've not gone below 440 because the RF final is rated 440-520MHz (Mitsubishi RA45H4452M)
Let me know if this does or doesn't work for you.
The 4600 is the same instruction wise. I don't have the final info handy.
73s

Last edited:

NC4AB

Premium Subscriber
Radiotweester -

Your instructions worked perfectly for both radios!!!
If you ever get to North Carolina I owe you several rounds of your favorite beverage!!!

Andy

radiotweester

(y) Glad it worked for you. Good to have a report on the 4600. It MIGHT be possible to go lower, but VCO lock and TX RF, eh...
You might want to check RX sensitivity. I was looking through old posts and saw the one about VCO unlock around 442.
My primary 4200 is an A not a D. If you program and the display is flashing afterwards on a channel, the VCO isn't locked on that ch/freq and you'll need to use the Basic Alignment in the CE-59 to get this back to lock. I think dropping the 451 value should do it. I didn't mess with it as I had 446 and a couple 448/R.
!!! - A warning for others: The upper band 480-520 will be impacted by messing with the VCO setting. Filtering may also impact Ham RX.

Danny37

!!! - A warning for others: The upper band 480-520 will be impacted by messing with the VCO setting. Filtering may also impact Ham RX.
How much of impact would dropping it to 440 make on the upper T-Band? I was able to get a vx-4600 down to 440 but im worried about the performance in the 480-490mhz range (RX Only)

Would it help to drop 520mhz to 510mhz? ie. 440-510?

radiotweester

How much of impact would dropping it to 440 make on the upper T-Band? I was able to get a vx-4600 down to 440 but im worried about the performance in the 480-490mhz range (RX Only)

Would it help to drop 520mhz to 510mhz? ie. 440-510?
Unless you're retuning/messing with the VCO dropping the upper isn't going to do anything. You can try 440, but you may have a significant TX power drop. The Mitsubishi power modules aren't as wide open as the Motorola. I'd suggest programming 440-449 with 0.5MHz steps and measure power. RX is more forgiving, but if you have the ability/access to a service monitor I would check it. If you get a flashing display your VCO is unlocked and you'll need to go higher in the 440 freq.

Last edited: