• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

VX-454 / CE115 Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

nozzlenut83

I’m not sure if I’m having a radio/programming software problem or more of a computer/cable problem. I keep getting “Time Out Error” when trying to read my VX-454 using the CE115 software. Using the same computer and cable, I am able to read and write to my VX-354 using the CE86 software.

I’m using an aftermarket USB cable from WisComm (RPC-Y1U Vertex AFTERMARKET USB Radio Programming Cable - ShopWiscomm). My computer is running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. I’m inclined to think that it’s more of a computer problem since the cable drivers appear to be installed properly and it works fine with the other software and radio. I also tried on a computer running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit with the exact same results.

I am also having a similar problem with the mobile USB version of the cable from WisComm (RPC-YM8-U Vertex AFTERMARKET USB Mobile Radio Programming Cable - ShopWiscomm) while trying to read a VX-2500U using the CE52 software. Again the drivers appear to be installed properly, but the software can’t connect to the radio.

Any suggestions or ideas of what I might be missing would be appreciated.
Thanks,
nozzlenut83

MBill

Premium Subscriber
A couple of things, maybe one will work.
First, check the Configure menu and see if you have the right com port selected. You may have to
try them all, if you have a selection, to see if one works. Or maybe the USB drivers expect to
see an FIF10 or FIF12 type cable. That may show up as a selection also in the Config menu.
Again try all the selections you find and see if any work.
Second, try leaving the radio off first before you press the upload (read) button. If that is not
working, then try turning the radio on first before you press the upload button. Then turn off
radio and back on when the message appears telling you to turn on the radio.

nozzlenut83

Thanks for the reply.

I definitely have the right COM port selected. I have tried reassigning the cable to several different COM ports and used multiple different baud rates. All with no success.

I have also tried (and tried again, and again) keeping the radio on then off, and off then on.

The Software recognizes the cable. The assigned COM port is the only one available in the software Configure window. Plus if the cable isn't plugged in I get a Port Open Error. I don't know what else is going on here. It's so frustrating because it works with the VX-354 but not with the VX-454. I even tried to use the International version of the CE115 software and an older version v1.09, with no luck.

Wiscomm said "USB Drivers are very FINICKY." So... yeah, thanks for that.

I opened a case with Vertex Standard but since it's an aftermarket cable, I'm not expecting too much.

But thanks for your suggestions, If you have any more send them my way!

MBill

Premium Subscriber
Yeh. This can be frustrating. Have you ruled out that the radio itself is not the problem? Do you have
another VX-454 you can try?
You may have to get the Vertex FIF12 cable and drivers. I've seen some complaints about after
market cables not working to well for some programming. Though it would seem if the cable works
for the VX-354, it should work for the VX-454.
If you get this issue resolved, be sure to post what you did to resolve it.

nozzlenut83

I spent some time on the phone with Vertex and there doesn't seem to be a way to get the aftermarket USB cables to work with newer Vertex Standard radios. As explained by VS radio tech support the newer radios such as the VX-450 series are designed to look for the FIF-12A interface or similar device. The older radios like the VX-350 series were designed to look for a serial port which the aftermarket USB cable is emulating.

In short there is no other solution except to get an FIF-12A interface and CT-106 pigtail for the VX-454.

It still seems to me that there should be a workaround to get this cable working for the VX-454, but I've tried everything I could including using Windows Vista, XP and 7 Home Premium in addition to 7 Professional and even tried a couple different VX-454 radios to be sure 1 radio wasn't the problem.

I guess I'll shell out the $100 and get the FIF-12A.

MBill

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the update. I did have a dealer tell me the same thing about the new Vertex radios.
Didn't realize the VX-454 was that new. Looks like its the FIF12A at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.