• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

VXR-7000 - If the antenna becomes inconveniently deceased?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DylanMadigan

In the event that the relatively cheap antenna (which is all i could afford for now) or the cable going to it becomes damaged, will the repeater die upon transmitting?

If so, would leaving an SWR meter between repeater TX and the duplexor be a good way to protect it?

gutter89

It wont necessarily die upon the first transmit but if you have an bad part of the antenna system it will A. not transmit the distance it could and B. destroy the transmitter very shortly

Leaving a SWR meter in line does nothing for protection, Its only a measuring device! There is nothing that you can put inline to protect the transmitter from a faulty antenna system with a improper ground plane, ohm mismatch, poor SWR or damage to antenna and/or cable

DylanMadigan

I heard that an SWR meter has a load coil or something (i don't quite understand) so if you test an antenna that is bad, the meter would absorb the signal or something so the radios transmitter doesn't burn out. Is that not true?

Also, I did have a Motorola CDM radio who's antenna cable fell out, it didn't appear to be damaged after several attempts to transmit at 50 watts, which is why I was thinking maybe the repeater would have something to protect it since I guess the Motorola did I guess.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I heard that an SWR meter has a load coil or something (i don't quite understand) so if you test an antenna that is bad, the meter would absorb the signal or something so the radios transmitter doesn't burn out. Is that not true?

Also, I did have a Motorola CDM radio who's antenna cable fell out, it didn't appear to be damaged after several attempts to transmit at 50 watts, which is why I was thinking maybe the repeater would have something to protect it since I guess the Motorola did I guess.
A VSWR meter does nothing to protect the radio. It is probably not good to leave one in line on a repeater because the detection diodes might create some nasty IMD interference.

A circulator or isolator between the TX and the duplexer will protect the transmitter. But those should only be used with duplexer having a bandpass cavity or with a harmonic filter, also due to IMD.

Invest in a decent antenna system.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

DylanMadigan

I'm hoping over the next couple years (given a little time and money) I will have a proper and professional setup. Right now I'm just trying to do the best I can with what I got.

Thank you

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I've seen several VXR-7000s die due to antenna issues. Unlike some of the more expensive repeaters, the VXR-7000s don't have a high VSWR throttleback. One in particular, a roofer cut the antenna feedline. Within 10 minutes the power amplifier was cooked.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
A circulator or isolator between the TX and the duplexer will protect the transmitter. But those should only be used with duplexer having a bandpass cavity or with a harmonic filter, also due to IMD.

I second that. Use a load that will accept your full reflected power. And yes, don't put it behind a simple notch duplexer.

Status
Not open for further replies.