W6FNO Repeater 146.22/82

Status
Not open for further replies.

AA6SC

Hello. Having been away from two meters for several years, I would appreciate a few pearls of wisdom regarding the W6FNO machine serving Southern California on 146.22/82, including etiquette for its use. The TASMA list shows it as "open," which suggests it is available for general use by licensed hams. But I seem to recall that at one time it was suggested that the repeater be reserved for emergency use, and as a calling frequency to establish contact, after which the stations would move to a different frequency. Is this still the case? Or can we carry on QSOs lasting several minutes? I have been monitoring the machine all afternoon, and have heard only two brief contacts. Thank you. I look forward to learning more.

Stan AA6SC

zz0468

QRT
Banned
That repeater's original purpose was for emergencies and as a calling channel, and that hasn't really changed. If it's quiet, no one is likely to chase you off if a QSO lasts a couple of minutes, but for longer chats, there are probably better places to go. I have no recommendations in that regard. It is open, so anyone can use it.

KB6KGX

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
146.82 w6fno

I haven’t heard any activity on this in YEARS. About year ago, I tried calling to report something on the freeway. I called SEVERAL times, with no response. So eventually I gave up and used to cell phone for “911”. Used to be there would always be someone who’d come back right away. Never had to call more than twice. At least it’s still there, still up and running, but hardly ever hear anything on it. Only the repeater ID’ing every 10 minutes.

AA6SC

Thanks, Mark. I appreciate your comments, and will feel comfortable using the machine every now and then. It's perfect when I'm in the desert and want to work a station in the San Gabriel Valley, especially when 40 meters won't give me a short hop over the mountains.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I've heard that the link to Onyx Peak isn't working, so you probably won't have coverage from the desert into the SGV.

KB6KGX

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
W6fno 146.820

I've heard that the link to Onyx Peak isn't working, so you probably won't have coverage from the desert into the SGV.
There is a full history and explanation of this repeater at http://www.w6fno.org, although I didn't not see any indication of when that page was last updated. It does that a lightning strike knocked out the link between the two sites. It does make reference to the proliferation of cell phones as being the main reason why the repeater is no longer monitored "24/7", as it had in the past. Still, it does remain open and available for use and because it is unlikely to be used for its original purpose as an "emergency call-in" repeater, it is unlikely that one would be yelled at for carrying on an extended conversation.

I wish someone WOULD still monitor this as it had been in the past, I'd rather not be fiddling with a cell phone while I'm driving.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.