Waco P25 TRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
In regards to this system...

Waco Public Safety Trunking System, Waco, Texas - Scanner Frequencies

I programmed a Unication G5 on this system for a trip through the area, I used the 4 CC's listed the the RR database and a site ID of 1. I never locked on a CC as I passed through. I double-checked the programming after I reached my destination (outside the area) and everything looked good. I turned on full spectrum scan to see if the CC was something other than what is listed.

On my return trip I again never locked on a CC and showed out of range, As I was only passing through I didn't have time to do much analyzing, but my quick check showed an active CC of 859.2125 with a site ID of 2. The RR database indicates the site ID is 1, so do they have 2 sites or is the simulcast actually site 2 and the DB is wrong?

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
I don't know the answer that. However, I'm in Bedford, and recently was able to receive Waco due to atmospheric conditions. If that happens again, I'll try to see what site(s) show up.

You probably already know this, but you can use the wildcard, I believe it's FF, for the site in the Unication PPS, and that way, if the sites are not correct in the DB, you will still be likely to receive the system.

Also, I didn't notice when I was able to hear Waco the other day, but it may be that the talkgroups you want to listen are Phase II, which the G5 doesn't support yet.

Happy Scanning,
Ben

KevinC

Super Moderator
I don't know the answer that. However, I'm in Bedford, and recently was able to receive Waco due to atmospheric conditions. If that happens again, I'll try to see what site(s) show up.

You probably already know this, but you can use the wildcard, I believe it's FF, for the site in the Unication PPS, and that way, if the sites are not correct in the DB, you will still be likely to receive the system.

Also, I didn't notice when I was able to hear Waco the other day, but it may be that the talkgroups you want to listen are Phase II, which the G5 doesn't support yet.

Happy Scanning,
Ben

Yes, I know about the FF site ID thing and they aren't P2 as a HP-1 was receiving them. But thank you anyway.

motorola_otaku

Premium Subscriber
The RFSS is definitely wrong as listed, and the site may be too. Haven't been able to run UT on my last couple of trips through the area.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Installer Information

In regards to this system...

Waco Public Safety Trunking System, Waco, Texas - Scanner Frequencies

I programmed a Unication G5 on this system for a trip through the area, I used the 4 CC's listed the the RR database and a site ID of 1. I never locked on a CC as I passed through. I double-checked the programming after I reached my destination (outside the area) and everything looked good. I turned on full spectrum scan to see if the CC was something other than what is listed.

On my return trip I again never locked on a CC and showed out of range, As I was only passing through I didn't have time to do much analyzing, but my quick check showed an active CC of 859.2125 with a site ID of 2. The RR database indicates the site ID is 1, so do they have 2 sites or is the simulcast actually site 2 and the DB is wrong?

If I am not mistaken, there are two locations for radio traffic. I had to buy a 436HP when they installed something called a "linear simulcast." Before I bought the 436HP, I was constantly having problems with competing signals that confused the radio resulting in choppy transmissions. I have not analyzed the radio system in quite some time, but I will give it a go with Pro96.com in the near future.

If you have a G5, please analyze Baylor DMR, the license that the Baylor PD uses. Most of Waco traffic is in the clear. It is a great small city to monitor.

KevinC

Super Moderator
If I am not mistaken, there are two locations for radio traffic. I had to buy a 436HP when they installed something called a "linear simulcast." Before I bought the 436HP, I was constantly having problems with competing signals that confused the radio resulting in choppy transmissions. I have not analyzed the radio system in quite some time, but I will give it a go with Pro96.com in the near future.

If you have a G5, please analyze Baylor DMR, the license that the Baylor PD uses. Most of Waco traffic is in the clear. It is a great small city to monitor.

Signal quality (or lack thereof) wasn't my issue, the incorrect site number was/is, but thank you for your input.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The RFSS is correct as listed, 1. The Site #, however, is 2.

Remember that Waco migrated from a Type II system, which was Site 1

As a general rule, whenever an ASTRO 25 system gets built out alongside a Type II system, where SmartX site convertors are used, the ASTRO 25 site number(s) will start wherever the Type II system left off. This is the reason why some ASTRO 25 systems start with a site number other than 1, of which there are multiple examples in the database.

Hope this clears things up. ;)

KevinC

Super Moderator

As a general rule, whenever an ASTRO 25 system gets built out alongside a Type II system, where SmartX site convertors are used, the ASTRO 25 site number(s) will start wherever the Type II system left off. This is the reason why some ASTRO 25 systems start with a site number other than 1, of which there are multiple examples in the database.

Cool! Thanks for the info.

motorola_otaku

Premium Subscriber
Didn't think about them SmartX-ing to the standalone system. Thanks for the insight.

KevinC

Super Moderator

Just passed through and site 2 was the trick. Thank you mystery person. :p

As a side note, they wouldn't of had to make this site 2 because of SmartX because the system ID's were different.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
DMR

Just passed through and site 2 was the trick. Thank you mystery person. :p

As a side note, they wouldn't of had to make this site 2 because of SmartX because the system ID's were different.

Kevin, you have that incredible radio that I cannot afford, at present. One day, if you have the time, please, analyze the Baylor DMR for the call sign WQMM459.

At present, Baylor PD has been off the radar for a very long time. The radio system you've been discussing has a talk group for them, but I've never ever heard it keyed up. Yes, Waco PD works the Special Events talk groups during games, etc.; however, no Baylor PD like the old days with the UHF conventional frequencies they used.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Kevin, you have that incredible radio that I cannot afford, at present. One day, if you have the time, please, analyze the Baylor DMR for the call sign WQMM459.

At present, Baylor PD has been off the radar for a very long time. The radio system you've been discussing has a talk group for them, but I've never ever heard it keyed up. Yes, Waco PD works the Special Events talk groups during games, etc.; however, no Baylor PD like the old days with the UHF conventional frequencies they used.

Why don't you instead buy a $25 RTL dongle, download the free DSD+ software, and figure it out for yourself? :confused:

NC5267

So Baylor PD is not on the Waco System digital system? Be heading up there for a couple days just wanted to check. Were they ever on the old analog system after the UHF channels? Saw a "dispatch" talk group for them on the old system as well.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Baylor TG 245

So Baylor PD is not on the Waco System digital system? Be heading up there for a couple days just wanted to check. Were they ever on the old analog system after the UHF channels? Saw a "dispatch" talk group for them on the old system as well.

I learned about the Baylor talk group on the P25 trunking system from the person who actually installed the system in question. Previously, Waco had two trunking systems working, an analog trunking system and several talk groups from TxWarn P25. I believe most of the same system frequencies in the new system were taken from TxWarn P25.

I have never heard TG 245 being active. Baylor PD used to operate on conventional UHF.

I do intend to buy the computer-based decoding/trunking combination dongles, but not now.

Last edited:

KevinC

Super Moderator

Not sure what "incredible radio" you are referring to, but if it's the Unication it doesn't do DMR, so I can't "analyze" DMR with it.

From your previous posts I gather you have the DMR upgrade for a 436, so you can analyze a lot better than I could...especially since I live 200 miles from Waco.

And I'm not sure how my thread got hijacked into Baylor University questions??? :wink:

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Waco Public Safety P25

Not sure what "incredible radio" you are referring to, but if it's the Unication it doesn't do DMR, so I can't "analyze" DMR with it.

From your previous posts I gather you have the DMR upgrade for a 436, so you can analyze a lot better than I could...especially since I live 200 miles from Waco.

And I'm not sure how my thread got hijacked into Baylor University questions??? :wink:

Sorry for that diversion. I will continue to help figure out/monitor the talk groups/system frequencies specific to Waco. Thanks for your help.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Waco Public Safety P25

I've not heard the LE entity currently assigned to TG 245 since the Waco Public Safety P25 was fired up. I don't recall hearing them on the analog trunking either.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.