• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Walmart Mayhem Monitoring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
I ran across this interesting article today and thought I would share it. I don't recall reading any posts about aberrant behavior occurring at Walmart. So, if you have heard of these incidents or have private stories about things you've monitored at Walmart, I would love to hear them.

I've never really understood why anyone would monitor Walmart frequencies, but I guess I might start. Yes, I have encountered some strange folks at Walmart, but now I am going to capture it on the scanner.

Is Walmart A Magnet For American Mayhem? : NPR

com501

Walmart is the single largest employer in the USA. Why doesn't Obama stimulate their economy instead of picking on small companies that go bust in a year or less.

Walmart IS a strange place sometimes. Listening to the conversations is quite interesting. Even the store security folks have no clue that people could actually listen in on them....

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Walmart in Hewitt, Texas

Walmart is the single largest employer in the USA. Why doesn't Obama stimulate their economy instead of picking on small companies that go bust in a year or less.

Walmart IS a strange place sometimes. Listening to the conversations is quite interesting. Even the store security folks have no clue that people could actually listen in on them....
In the Hewitt, Texas Walmart, I have encountered people I would usually recommend for mental health commitment. One woman asked me if the t-shirt I was wearing, "Lamb of God" was a Christian band. I told her, "no, not really." I then asked her why this was her business. I also told her she was quite bizarre for asking such a question.

One day, a man came up to me and asked about my political affiliations. I asked him why it was any of his business and proceeded to gut him on the spot. He reminded me of the Pedophiles I worked with in the prison system. He was quite creepy to say the least.

satosi

I've listened to the local Walmart freqs before and have heard next to nothing. Either their repeater is very low power or there just isn't much action.

I've sat in a parking lot across from my local Kmart and pick them up and even Joannes fabric shop. Nothing exciting like knowing what yarn they are out of.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Walmart Timing

I've listened to the local Walmart freqs before and have heard next to nothing. Either their repeater is very low power or there just isn't much action.
Over the years, I have seen several news stories about Walmart parking lot, but never monitored such a scanner.

What I would do is wait for them to put something on "special" around Thanksgiving. Stampedes of hefty beef critters might follow.

Ha.

Last edited:

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Monitoring Boredom

I've sat in a parking lot across from my local Kmart and pick them up and even Joannes fabric shop. Nothing exciting like knowing what yarn they are out of.
Yes, I would agree that monitoring some businesses might be very boring. I never understood why anyone would like to monitor fast food chains. To each his own.

bpckty1

Ensnared wrote:
Yes, I would agree that monitoring some businesses might be very boring. I never understood why anyone would like to monitor fast food chains. To each his own.

It might take awhile, but sometimes something interesting comes over the airways, such as the window clerk telling another employee about a good looking customer in the line outside, or making a silly remark about what they are doing.

For example:
Clerk: What are you doing?
Employee: Making the secret sauce.
Clerk: How?
Employee: Oh, just mixing a few mop squeezings, floor sweepings, and other secret ingredients.
Clerk: Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Fast Food Monitoring

Ensnared wrote:

It might take awhile, but sometimes something interesting comes over the airways, such as the window clerk telling another employee about a good looking customer in the line outside, or making a silly remark about what they are doing.

For example:
Clerk: What are you doing?
Employee: Making the secret sauce.
Clerk: How?
Employee: Oh, just mixing a few mop squeezings, floor sweepings, and other secret ingredients.
Clerk: Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ok, I will give you that one. When I first learned of the Walmart frequencies, I programmed them and listened. It was rather boring.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Evolution

Anyone who doubts that we evolved from apes has never taken a good look around while in a Walmart.
Oh, that is rich. I am laughing as I type this response. I wonder why the aisles are so wide? Could it be the width was based on an average of customer girth?

Z

zalarcon

Monitoring Walmart

I think this is because Walmart gets questionable shoppers since their prices are lower than most stores.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Stealth-Wealth

Yes, I would agree with the presence of subhuman specimens frequenting the store from time to time with the typical family mullet markings; however, there are the wealthy who still want to save money on top of their current pile. You could say, "that is how they accumulated their wealth, skimping & saving, or you could say they are never ever satiated.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Stampede Of Hefty Beef Critters

Tonight would be a good time to listen in for any big store mayhem :)
Joe Bob Briggs, the redneck persona named John Bloom, a graduate of Vanderbilt, said it best. He said something about the wisdom of positioning "hefty beef critters" over the back axle in deep snow to get better traction.

But, when these individuals are through helping others navigate through the snow, they go to Walmart, the epicenter of culture in America.

Truthfully, I enjoy the deals at this store, but I am always amazed at what waddles down those extra wide aisles. It is creepy.

I just might tune in tomorrow.

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
They don't use repeaters, it's all simplex. You have to be in the parking lot or nearby to listen in.

scannerboy01

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I know that the Wal-Mart in my area has one UHF frequency assigned to it, but I always forgotten to take the scanner with me. I can't imagine what I could hear one the frequency since I've never seen anyone with radios.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Craigslist Wal-Mart Fetish?

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I know that the Wal-Mart in my area has one UHF frequency assigned to it, but I always forgotten to take the scanner with me. I can't imagine what I could hear one the frequency since I've never seen anyone with radios.
Well, I was looking at some of the personal pages for, let's say, more bizarre things in Craiglist Personals. Guess what I found? I saw where a couple was going to the Hewitt Super Wal-Mart and looking for broad minded singles or couples, sometimes in the early morning hours, for extraneous activities.

One day, I am going to venture over there and watch the patrons just to be nosy.

Status
Not open for further replies.