warlok's CB in the latest "die hard" movie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oligranate

Hello!
I am supergreen when it comes to CB/scanner/ham stuff but I am interested in learning. I saw the latest "die hard" and thought that the radio that warlok had was pretty cool. I know that regular CB radios have 40 channels but that CB in the movie could be programmed to a custom frequency, i.e. 666.0000! Could any of you please explain what that CB in the movie was? Thanks a lot!!!

Drafin

Hello!
I am supergreen when it comes to CB/scanner/ham stuff but I am interested in learning. I saw the latest "die hard" and thought that the radio that warlok had was pretty cool. I know that regular CB radios have 40 channels but that CB in the movie could be programmed to a custom frequency, i.e. 666.0000! Could any of you please explain what that CB in the movie was? Thanks a lot!!!

Not a CB at all...

At one point Bruce Willis’ character is talking to Warlock, a cyber hack, and he points to (what is called a CB radio) a radio with a taped sticker on it that says Frequency 66.6, and is later used when Willis is in a 18-wheeler type truck. The radio he used to make a call on 66.6 frequency was not a CB, and the radio station he was calling was not either. It did look much like a modern HF or all band ICOM. Of course the frequency 66.6000 is not a CB frequency. According to the FCC, it is a public TV broadcast frequency (54.000-72.000 – Broadcast TV (channels 2-4) (6 MHz steps – FMw), and the Citizens Band frequency range is 26.965-27.405 (the 11 meter band).

Taken from Live Free or Die Hard Radios and a Few 66.6 Frequency Errors | Scott Fillmer :: Truth Beyond Contradiction found through Google.

Also of note is that in one shot of a police radio in a patrol vehicle it is clearly set to an amateur band frequency.

Draf

N8IAA

This has been talked about on RR since the movie came out. One of the radios was a Uniden scanner. Do a search here on RR for more answers.
Larry

SkipSanders

Silent Key
'Radios' in movies and TV are fakes.

They are in no way likely to be 'real' radios of the proper type for the depicted use, they may be receivers pretending to be transcievers, they may be shown transmitting on frequencies never allowed for that use, or possible for the apparent type of radio shown, etc.

At best, you may see a legitimate 'control head' shown, though it may well be one that hasn't been actually used for decades.

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
This has been talked about on RR since the movie came out. One of the radios was a Uniden scanner. Do a search here on RR for more answers.
Larry

Haha, do you remeber the scene where they are in the mobile command vehicle and the main man in charge was approached by a soldier with some random old ht - think was the same model used in the movie ghostbusters...awesome. And in another scene when they are in the fbi vehicles going to dhs, one agent tells the other to get on the metro band and clear them a route- although when he does- he never changes the frequency.....not that that would help since its not even on a commerical band ahahhaa.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
99% Of the world who watch movies dont notice or care what radios they use in the movies. Prop guys in the movies figure if it looks like a radio it must be a radio. The only ones I have ever seen that use somewhat correct radios are TV shows that are cop or fire related. NYPD blue they always carried UHF Sabers, southland they carried astro sabers.

Status
Not open for further replies.