Warning - Demo sold as New at Radio Shack in Appleton Wi

Status
Not open for further replies.

khanagan

Just thought I would pass this warning on, be careful when/if you buy from Radio Shack in Appleton (Northland Mall).

The HP went on sale a few weeks ago, so I headed to my local Appleton Radio Shack. Of course they

only had the demo, so I said I would buy that, but they told me "THEY COULD NOT SELL THE DEMO".

Ok, so I had to order one, 2 days later it was at the store. I picked it up, got home and noticed that the

box showed some wear and tear. I didn't think much about it, until I open the box up, nothing was wrapped

in plastic bags or twist ties. Took everything out and no paper work of any sort. Next I plugged the unit in

and it was already programed for the Appleton area. After a few days went by, this was really starting to

bug me, so I went to youtube and watched a video and part of the video included unpacking a brand new

unit, needless to say, mine was not new. Of course the Manager was on vacation, so I had to wait until he

returned. on Monday. I contacted him, he agreed that they might of mistakenly sold me a demo and he

said he would order me a new one right away. Well here it is, 7 days and no brand new unit. Called and

beached, got the basic run around again, but this time he promised to have one shipped directly to my

house ASAP. We will see if he is full of BS, as my son just ordered one today online from Radio Shack,

and we will see who's arrives first.

straycat088

rad shack

I bought two there and they were the last 2 one box was beat up really and rad shack
told me that it was almost stolen that's why the box was like that
everything was there in the box but the radio didn't have plastic wrap on
it like the other one did.
That also was already programed kind of upset me took it back and they maile me a new one but it was here in 3 days
maybe you should call
Rad shack people aren't the sharpest pencils in the drawer

khanagan

After talking to the manager many times about this problem and getting lied to over and over again, I called the District manager. She overnighted a brand new unit to the store, like I wanted the manager to do. He kept telling me that he could not do it, unless I gave him the unit and I go without until the brand new one arrived.

So now in RAd Shacks mind, everything is supposed to be cool, ROFLOL, I don't think that all the hassle I went through will ever make me buy another product from Rad Shack again.

wtp

back in my time...

ok when i was growing up. it was common practice to sell the demo and then order a new one for the store.
this kept a fresh flow of new boxes and you got one that had been set up (radio wise). so your scanner or shortwave had some good numbers in it. if something had a scratch it was a reduced sale. i once got $250 ssb cb for $150 that way.

khanagan

ok when i was growing up. it was common practice to sell the demo and then order a new one for the store.
this kept a fresh flow of new boxes and you got one that had been set up (radio wise). so your scanner or shortwave had some good numbers in it. if something had a scratch it was a reduced sale. i once got $250 ssb cb for $150 that way.

Thats just great if they do that, as long as they inform you of doing so, new is new and used is not new.. But as I had posted earlier when I told them that I would buy the demo because they didn't have anything in stock, they outright told me they could not sell a demo.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Rule number one: when buying ANYTHING of this value at ANY brick and mortar, ALWAYS ask that the box be opened by the employee to verify the contents BEFORE handing over your money/CC!

This is of course, unless the product is in a FACTORY sealed container. Always use a card like AMEX which will cheerfully refund your money if some unscrupulous retailer tries to sell you a "floor model" and pass it off as new.

RadioShaft up to their old tricks again. Nothing new, the way they've been doing business for 50 plus years. What is amazing is that they are still in business.

Blackink

khanagan: Did you happen to notice if they had any HP's on display when you went to pick your new one up 2 days after you ordered it?
Makes me wonder if, when they got your new HP at the store, did they put the Demo unit in the new box and put the new HP that just arrived, on the store shelf as a demo?!?

And usually stores will note on the merchandise that what is being sold is a demo unit, if that is indeed what it is, a demo unit

bear780ks

When I got my HP-1 at my Local R.S. store I did with it like i do with all of my electronics stuff i buy i opened the box at the store looked in side Made sure all the pieces was in there, I took the unit out and looked it over, it was fully rapped and taped and tape wasn't disturbed.. So I knew it had never been opened..

One way Uniden could put some control on these units being opened is doing like some electronic and cellphone companies do and that is put security tape on the bags or the Rap that the electronic is in. as soon as the tape is pulled you know it's opened..

Now I know at some of the radio retailers that sell's the Scanners they take the Radios out to program them for people that want that done, well if there going to do that. That is fine but they should remind the customer that the product was opened by either putting a note inside showing of this or resealing the product with the same type of tape..

But Khanagen I do understand your frustration on what happened and I would be just a little hot under the collar..

Last edited:

Cellsite

Premium Subscriber
As others have said, Radio Shack has been doing this for years and years. Repeatedly I've opened the box in the store in front of the clerk and sure enough, it was obvious that whatever was in the box wasn't new and had been unwrapped and handled before. Either a return or a demo unit being sold as new. When I point this out the standard answer is that the unit has a new warranty and fully covered. I don't care. If I'm shelling out the new sticker price, then I expect and demand that the equipment I'm purchasing is brand new, unwrapped, from the factory condition. If Rat Shack is going to try to sell used and demo equipment then they dang well better label it as such and adjust the price accordingly.

I only go into a Radio Shack now-a-days if I need a part or item in a real hurry. Never did like their sales tactics and hearing the line "Can I help you?, to which I once answered in a bad mood "I doubt it."

Status
Not open for further replies.