Wasilla/Palmer PD encrypted, too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spotmom

I got one of the GRE 600 scanners when our old one went obsolete with the digital conversion.

I came to Radio Reference for help getting it programmed and all was well for a while, but as I see on the Fairbanks encryption thread, we may have the same problem here.

Does anyone know if the Wasilla and Palmer PD are encrypted, or am I doing something wrong? We used to hear them, but have not for a very long time. We hear some Trooper stuff, and even some car to car on occasion. I hear the fire and ambulance dispatch and responders fine. We also get a lot of garbled (I assume encrypted) transmissions.

This is bothering me because over the years on at least 3 occasions we had something going on in the neighborhood that I heard on the scanner first, alerting me to a potentially dangerous situation with a chase or a person hiding out. And I am in a good area with not much crime!

The other funny thing is that while I can't hear day to day chatter I have twice in the past year got to hear a stakeout/sting operation. Now if something should have been encrypted it would have been that! But, the reason I hear them is it is very close to me (within 1 mile) so it must be direct car to car, or person to person.

Any suggestions on how to get my PD channels back?

vinzep491

I assume you already have these car2car programmed in:
Palmer:
Wasilla:

Do you have these programmed in from the state system? If you do have them programmed, are they still getting picked up, only with that garbling (ENCRYPTION), or are they not popping up AT ALL? :
Wasilla Dispatch : 13851
Police Tac Ops : 17038
Police Tac Ops : 17201

spotmom

Also, since when have you not heard them?

I really can't say, probably a year? Just put off looking into it. Bad dog.

The GRE 600 is so complicated compared to my old scanner I can't even check if I accidentally permanently locked them out. I will have to dig out the manual to see. Brain don't hold stuf like it used to.

I originally manually entered the channels from the old scanner for Palmer and Wasilla, and got a download for the rest from here and put in in via software. I haven't looked at the manual since. I'm not a technophobe, but I did not have much fun reading the manual.

I will have to look closer when I lock out the garbled channels (I do a temp lock) and see what they are. The lights I have programmed show them to be mostly on the trooper bank, but I don't look at the numbers.

kikito

Premium Subscriber
I'm pretty sure that they're almost all encrypted, judging from the last time I was in the area last year. I guess that's what they're doing with our tax dollars, ironically....

spotmom

I took a few notes today and looked back on my notes from when I set it up.

Wasilla PD was good on 155.145 when I set it up. But nothing now.

Garbled channels were Soldotna Troopers TGRP (and I do hear them clear on occasion) on 155.450 and 155.675.

Static obscured channels were Palmer PD 155.370 and mat-su trooper dispatch on 154.295 I do get dispatch clear on other channels.

That's all I got today.

Status
Not open for further replies.