Watch the Android/Amazon Stores for Siren

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
My only problem is that I get "Waiting for Scanner" every 6-10 seconds. I'm presuming network congestion, since I have about a dozen computers and half that many again smartphones and tablets on the LAN.

Sometime this weekend I'll try AP mode on the scanner and see how that behaves.

scandoggy

Premium Subscriber
Using Siren App with Android in Vehicle

Yep, the Access Point mode seems to be the only possibility for a direct connect from the phone to the scanner in a vehicle unless you want to set up a Wifi network in your vehicle, which I suppose is possible. I will try the AP mode and see if I can get it to work. If so, will post the results.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I get the same thing, and assume it's for a similar reason. 3 smart TVs, Ipad, iPhone, two laptops, Android phone.

I hope someone can figure out AP mode, mobile use is one of the things I've been waiting for.

My only problem is that I get "Waiting for Scanner" every 6-10 seconds. I'm presuming network congestion, since I have about a dozen computers and half that many again smartphones and tablets on the LAN.

Sometime this weekend I'll try AP mode on the scanner and see how that behaves.

w9xxx

Premium Subscriber
AP mode was working with my phone last time I played with it(a few months ago). It's not working now for me. You can set up your phone as a hotspot and connect the scanner to it right now. I leave my hotspot on all the time and use it as a router in my truck anyway.

scosgt

Don't forget that for internet access you need to open a port on your router.

scosgt

So the big question:
What does this do for you that you can not also accomplish with ProScan and Splashtop or the new Control Software for the Whistler scanners and Splashtop - aside from the fact that those programs require the scanner to be connected to a PC?

mancow

Database Admin
It runs natively on the device which is a much cleaner approach and easier to manipulate on a mobile device like a phone or tablet.

troymail

Silent Key
My initial test resulting in alot of clipped and fading audio when in scan mode. If I lock on a talkgroup, the audio is better. It's similar too (but worse than) the "immediate" clipping/darkening of the back light and recordings upon lack/loss of voice - only for the app, any momentary pause in a voice in the middle of a conversation results in the signal being dropped. Re-acquisition of the voice then gets clipped also.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I installed and it opened up forcing landscape mode only........is that something that can be changed or selected as portrait? I've already got a PulsePoint app that forces portrait mode and will not view in landscape.

Paul

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
I had been using the beta version for a while now. For the last 2 weeks I have been using it as a remote head in my car using an old Nexus 4 phone. As a remote head it has been working great and the 4 inch phone screen is actually a bit larger than the Home Patrol.

Some things I did to improve my performance:

1) Do a clean system flash, do not go to Android 6, stay on 5.1 (6 won't want to connect to the AP because there won't be any internet access).

2) install Siren

3) Root the phone, remove or freeze as many system apps as possible with Titanium Backup. Freeze google play services but do not remove, in case you need to update siren in the future.

4) Put in airplane mode, then turn on wifi. This will put your battery drain down to almost nothing when you aren't using it (if you don't feel like turning it off).

When I did the above steps and let the phone just sit for a week, I only lost about 1-3% of battery a day.

drdiesel1

I'm stuck here. It's scanning, audio is coming from my tablet. Closing restarting app etc doesn't improve the situation.

Nexus 7 tablet, Android 6.0.1.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160812-075105.jpg
    Screenshot_20160812-075105.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 419

garys

Premium Subscriber
That's fine, I guess, if you have a spare phone or tablet you want to use for Siren. I'd guess that most people are going to have to use their existing phone, though.

The problem I and others are having is connecting to the scanner via Access Point mode. The scanner is set up for that, so obviously Uniden expects that to be an option.

I had been using the beta version for a while now. For the last 2 weeks I have been using it as a remote head in my car using an old Nexus 4 phone. As a remote head it has been working great and the 4 inch phone screen is actually a bit larger than the Home Patrol.

Some things I did to improve my performance:

1) Do a clean system flash, do not go to Android 6, stay on 5.1 (6 won't want to connect to the AP because there won't be any internet access).

2) install Siren

3) Root the phone, remove or freeze as many system apps as possible with Titanium Backup. Freeze google play services but do not remove, in case you need to update siren in the future.

4) Put in airplane mode, then turn on wifi. This will put your battery drain down to almost nothing when you aren't using it (if you don't feel like turning it off).

When I did the above steps and let the phone just sit for a week, I only lost about 1-3% of battery a day.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Why would you need to do that? My phone connects to my router fine, my scanner connects to my router fine. I put the IP address for the scanner into Siren and connect with no problem in Infrastructure mode.

Don't forget that for internet access you need to open a port on your router.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Would the hacks for listening to the scanner over the internet still apply from the iUsers?

Paul

So...How long for a work around to make this chooch with the 436...I mean, there's USB & Serial ports
on the side already..
Just pontificating..Out of slight Jealousy perhaps..
89.gif

wbswetnam

And to think that I almost tossed out the dongle in disgust... now I can listen to the scanner while I'm out on my morning 5 mile runs. (smirk - just kidding about morning runs - I wish I had that kind of discipline)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.