• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

WATCH THREAD: What tells you the time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
thread says it all! Every real man should have a good watch. Doesnt have to be flashy or expensive. But like many other things that males take an interest in, watches reflect your tastes, personal philosophies, and appreciation of history, technology, or engineering.

Personally, I like automatic (self-winding) watches. I hate quartz despite its accuracy. I like the fact that there is a little machine with springs, jewled bearings, and tiny cams and gears all working harmoniously in perpetual unity to tell me what a simple .12 cent integrated circuit could.

I am not a fan of digital watches, but if you must (and sometimes you should) require digital, then the casio ironmans are tough to beat and Suunto are a good step up with features such as barometers and altimiters built in.

My favorite watches are Panerai and Bell & Ross. They are pricey, but not unobtainable.

I dont believe that anyone under 35 should own a Rolex unless it is vintage and an heriloom. (It just takes all the "class" away). I do aspire to own at some far off point before I am "old" an Omega or Brietling, but could live my life happily if I only saw them on the wrists of others.

In the range of good watches that are more affordable and reasonable to own for people that pay bills and raise family, I do like the simple tuetonic German "Flieger" flight watches like Stowa and SINN dive watches, American Ball railroad watches with beautiful tritium dials. I also like the minimalist and tough Bathy's that will take any beating in the south-pacific islands that inspire them. If I was a rough&tough LEO I would be wearing a Luminox. I also really like the high-end Seiko 5 watches. The Japanese watches on a whole are very good and if you wanted a decent watch for any occassion that will last, then there are a ton of Seiko, Citizen, and the slightly elusive, but excellent Orient watches. There are many models that are not sold in American jewlers and dealers that are part of their world markets only.

This is how I found my first "decent" watch, the Seiko "black monster".
Officially it is the Seiko SKX779K1 with a 7s26 automatic movement. Which is a very tough, but fairly accurate 12 hour movement with date and day in two languages (mine is english and german). It is all stainless steel with a 43mm case that is 12mm high and a mineral crystal. Take it down to 600 meters and it will still work just fine. The bezel rotates to calculate remaining time when diving but I dont swim so it tells me when my laundry is done instead. The hands and dial use Superluminova which will remain visible in the dark for easily a whole day after exposure to light. It is a 10 our of 10 on the durability scale. It has all the features and build quality of a $400-$600 watch, but it sells normally for under $200 with the black face. It truely is a "deal" if there ever was one for an automatic movement. No winding required, just wear it and it will wind itself. Most are made in Japan, but the Singapore made watches are indistinguishable, if not more accurate. I have seen grey-market importers sell these retail for $475+ Amazon sells them for under $200 w/free shipping. Most horologists (watch nerds) who remember what it is like to have to work for their money will easily reccomend this as the best "starter" watch. It is a bit big and will look a bit silly under a fitted dress shirt, but it works great for business casual, casual, or weekend-wear.

Here is a shot of mine being lifted skyward on a BAE Lightning Mk 6;)
[img=http://img242.imagevenue.com/loc89/th_09882_DSC00046_122_89lo.JPG]
http://img242.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=09882_DSC00046_122_89lo.JPG

Here is the link to the review on amazon. There is also a version in orange, blue, red, and even anodized black. The different colors sell for a higher price closer to the true value of the watch. Read up on the reviews a bit and you will get an idea of what is good and what is not.

http://www.amazon.com/Seiko-Black-Monster-Automatic-SKX779K1/dp/B0006IHHN4

Links to some of the makes of watches I had discussed in this thread:
Panerai
(went from being Italian Marina frogman watch to top-shelf and celeb sought when Sly Stalone bought a few for some of his buds when on a trip to Italy)
http://www.panerai.com/s_page.xpd?id_lingua=2&id_sezione=1

Bell & Ross
(formerly an aircraft instrument mnfgr that turned to fine watches. Clean, bold, and tough and easy to see)
their website is a flash enabled nightmare so i'm linking a review page instead
http://www.wristwatchreview.com/category/reviews/bell-ross/

Ball Watches
(american made RailRoad conductor timepieces with a loonnnggg history of quality and visibility, headsup railfans!)
http://www.ballwatch.com/

Bathy's Hawa'ii
(simple and unique, they emulate the natural minerals and natural landscape of Hawa'ii)
http://bathyswatch.com/bh-index.php

Stowa
(german, simple, and classy. Worn by luftwaffe pilots in two wars. The origin of the unique "flieger" hands)
http://www.stowa.com/

Luminox
(if you are in public safety, this name should go right next to such trusted names as Leatherman, Maglite, Glock. Tough, accurate, inexpensive, and visible) Check you firearms instructor's arm. Good chance one of these is on it.
http://www.luminox.com/

Sinn
(another german, but in this case, the Kriegsmarine supplies them with the same metal that goes into their subs to make the watch case, good looking and unique)
http://www.sinnwatch.com/

Watch Forums:

WatchUSeek:
Everything from cheap swatches to six figure A P Something for everyone
http://www.watchuseek.com/site/forums.htm

The Purists:
Fine watches. These guys have LOOT, but they know their stuff and are not a stuffy bunch at all. Live vicariously through this forum. The technical photography is top notch and reveals the amazing craftsmanship. Too rich for my tastes, but you will learn here what makes these things special. Just try not to think too much about how you could retire on what is on their wrists.:lol:
http://www.thepurists.com/

Talk watches! Keep it short or talk at length, it dont matter. Were just jaw'bonin here.:cool:
What do you wear?
What do you like?

Last edited:
DanTSX said:
thread says it all! Every real man should have a good watch. Doesnt have to be flashy or expensive. But like many other things that males take an interest in, watches reflect your tastes, personal philosophies, and appreciation of history, technology, or engineering.

Personally, I like automatic (self-winding) watches. I hate quartz despite its accuracy. I like the fact that there is a little machine with springs, jewled bearings, and tiny cams and gears all working harmoniously in perpetual unity to tell me what a simple .12 cent integrated circuit could.
Um, yeah - until one of those springs decides to liberate itself and you end up waiting a year to get your new toy back from some obscure village in the swiss alps. I've actually been waiting over 11 months now to get one back from those clowns at Omega. The real difference between autos and quartz is that autos break :)

I dont believe that anyone under 35 should own a Rolex unless it is vintage and an heriloom. (It just takes all the "class" away). I do aspire to own at some far off point before I am "old" an Omega or Brietling, but could live my life happily if I only saw them on the wrists of others.
Ugh. Did you just use the words Rolex and Class in the same sentence? Classy is Lange, Ulysse, Patek, yada yada. Rolexes are so unimaginative.

Seriously, save yourself some pain and don't EVER go near Omega. I've had way too many problems with them to make it worth the effort. As Hans and Frans used to say, "Listen to me now, hear me later!" Kind of just kidding about Rolexes, but hey, everybody and their brother has one in Manhattan. It's more fun to wear something ridiculously expensive when nobody knows what the hell it is or how much it costs :)

What do you wear?
What do you like?
My experience with Breitling has been pretty good so far - I don't know about their blingy models, but I picked up an SS SuperOcean a few months back and have been wearing it just about every day - it runs a little fast, about +7 seconds a day, but that's not too bad for a relatively inexpensive auto that's been taking a lot of abuse.

My wife bought me a Casio G-Shock watch a couple of years ago. Best watch I've had in years. Solar powered, recieves nightly updates from the Navy master clock, and has all the featues that one rarely uses. Besides the nightly time updates, I like just pressing a button to change time zones, it comes in real handy when I travel.

shaft said:
My wife bought me a Casio G-Shock watch a couple of years ago. Best watch I've had in years. Solar powered, recieves nightly updates from the Navy master clock, and has all the featues that one rarely uses. Besides the nightly time updates, I like just pressing a button to change time zones, it comes in real handy when I travel.
The G-Shock is awesome. One of my absolute favorites. You can't destroy 'em. I have a really old one, and it's still going after all these years; I don't know about the waterproofing, but otherwise it's been holding up perfectly!

Don't mean to piss on this thread, but I am getting tired of watches these days. I have accurate clocks on my two cell phones that I tote around (Nextel/Sprint & Verizon), one on my pager, and even one on the two handheld radios (HT1250 & XTS2500) I carry. And in the car, my satellite radio and car radio has a clock on it. I'm all clocked out man.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
All I used for several years was a cheap $15 slant front casio, it worked, was lightweight, and didn't get in the way. Then I realized I always carried two phone all the time anyway, so I stopped wearing a watch.

Lately I just use my cellphone as a pocketwatch.

I have owned several G-shocks and have only killed one. The rest I lost or replaced when the battery went flat. G-shocks make good dive watches.

Nuts to blowing money on a showoff watch. Even if I had money to burn I would not have one.

Unless you are a Watch Person you are out of the Loop. Its not about time only its Art Craftmanship and Dedication to a Hobby or Lifestyle you Love. To stare into a cell phone just dosnt do it. Horology is like scannin you get the Fever and get into Law enforcment or Fire patrol so you have an edge on what makes us all enjoy things.A Great watch when on patrol will never let you down or on a first date the Lady will be impressed ! And also you can avoid the phone.How many here can fabricate a part to thier cycle the clutch or anything else ? Buy an Invicta Excellent !

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
I used to be a Gadget-Watch extraordinarie! Not necessarily the real expensive ones, just the ones with the most features, knobs, and buttons. I've had programmable watches, watches with built-in USB memory sticks, remote control watches, you name it. Later in life I settled down to the large heavy stainless steel watches, but found them to be sharp around the edges, pulling hair on my arm, scratching my desk, and basically uncomfortable.

Today I have a very simple Citizen Eco-Drive watch. It tells the time, Day, and Date. It has a white face, chrome case and band. It's very light weight and comfortable! The band is like the old Twist-O-Flex band of the 60's. It has an internal rechargeable battery that is charged from light hitting the white face of the watch. I think it cost around $125.00.

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
RC54730 said:
Um, yeah - until one of those springs decides to liberate itself and you end up waiting a year to get your new toy back from some obscure village in the swiss alps. I've actually been waiting over 11 months now to get one back from those clowns at Omega. The real difference between autos and quartz is that autos break :)

Ugh. Did you just use the words Rolex and Class in the same sentence? Classy is Lange, Ulysse, Patek, yada yada. Rolexes are so unimaginative.

Ha, well thats the point. Rolex is a watch for a retirement gift or a good watch for people that dont know dirt about watches and want to spend a lot of money on a fancy one to impress people. If you are under 35 wearing a new one, everyone assumes it is fake or you are stealing from your kid's college fund to look important. Boring and unimaginative for the most part. Not to mention (dare I say it) overpriced. For many afficianados, it is not even something that they would wear for a "beater" watch. It is like what people that wear Movado Museams buy when they want to buy something fancier.

That brings up another point. Movado! I hate them! It screams 1990s turtleneck wearing ponytail-men that watch Fraiser and Seinfeld and listen to Kenny G, Mellissa Etheridge, and Hootie and the Blowfish, drive Saabs, and eat tofu.:evil:

As far as your problems with your Omega, that is too bad and a suprise that they have not just replaced the entire movement. There are some high $ watches you can run over with an aircraft carrier, some you look at funny and it falls apart. But most Omegas are usually fairly tough. It had to have had a problem from the start.

I can respect the "no watch, got a cellphone" crowd. I used to be one, and my father and my boss are part of that crowd too. Nothing wrong with it. I only changed after I saw some macro photography of a tourbillion in motion. But the thing that "sold" me was the Urwerk. At that point it was not engineering, craft, or even gadgetry. That is pure Art in motion. http://dreamwatches.blogspot.com/2005_04_01_archive.html

I will request that the mods sweep some of this thread up. I understand the comments but they get in the way. Most watch fans will agree that they are a waste of money on a purely functional level. Also most watch fans are not "showoffs" That is the nice thing about them, there being so many good makes with names that are not household at all, and only the cognosetti will know what it is or even ask. That is how they buy them as well. Also, if you are paying a mortgage and raising kids and all that, a $5k watch is not a good idea. But if you got the house paid off, the kids are working professionals, and you have your retirement set up well, what is the difference between a $5k watch of a $5k radio? Buy what you can and what you like. Right now for myself, I'm in no position to own anything more than a $200 Seiko, but I love the little thing. But that is all I'm going to say on the age old "why would you spend $$ on a watch????" argument. You either get it or you dont. Simply relate, why would you spend thousands on a radio when you can just call someone on a $100 cell phone? Its because you love the challenge, the hum of the electronics, and twiddleing the dials and the sense of discovery. So go easy on us watch guys, we really dont have anything to prove but to ourselves.:cool:

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
GreatLakes said:
I used to be a Gadget-Watch extraordinarie! Not necessarily the real expensive ones, just the ones with the most features, knobs, and buttons. I've had programmable watches, watches with built-in USB memory sticks, remote control watches, you name it. Later in life I settled down to the large heavy stainless steel watches, but found them to be sharp around the edges, pulling hair on my arm, scratching my desk, and basically uncomfortable.

Today I have a very simple Citizen Eco-Drive watch. It tells the time, Day, and Date. It has a white face, chrome case and band. It's very light weight and comfortable! The band is like the old Twist-O-Flex band of the 60's. It has an internal rechargeable battery that is charged from light hitting the white face of the watch. I think it cost around $125.00.

I really think the eco drive is one of the nicer watches you can buy in the US in a regular store. My loyalty is with Seiko, but I think that their US-market models are stinkers, and I find that the US-market citizens are much nicer. Two of my buds have eco-drives and they beat the nuts out of them. (both mechanics!) They look brand new. There have been some capacitor failures on the line in the past, but thats still rare.

Tim-in-TX

Premium Subscriber
$30 Timex Ironman here. This is just my opinion but anyone who spends hundreds, or even thousands, of dollars for a watch DESERVES to be ripped off by anyone around them.
"I got beach front property I'll sell you...cheap!!"
That kind of money should be spent on electronics!

DanTSX said:
Ha, well thats the point. Rolex is a watch for a retirement gift or a good watch for people that dont know dirt about watches and want to spend a lot of money on a fancy one to impress people. If you are under 35 wearing a new one, everyone assumes it is fake or you are stealing from your kid's college fund to look important. Boring and unimaginative for the most part. Not to mention (dare I say it) overpriced. For many afficianados, it is not even something that they would wear for a "beater" watch. It is like what people that wear Movado Museams buy when they want to buy something fancier.
Heh. I don't mean to be so down on Rolex - I actually would really like to own a submariner but their diameter is just too small for my wrist. I guess I'm just spoiled from NYC - you see so many interesting / unique watches in a day that rolexes just seem too plain :)

That brings up another point. Movado! I hate them! It screams 1990s turtleneck wearing ponytail-men that watch Fraiser and Seinfeld and listen to Kenny G, Mellissa Etheridge, and Hootie and the Blowfish, drive Saabs, and eat tofu.:evil:
Movados are the work of the Devil, I agree!

As far as your problems with your Omega, that is too bad and a suprise that they have not just replaced the entire movement. There are some high $ watches you can run over with an aircraft carrier, some you look at funny and it falls apart. But most Omegas are usually fairly tough. It had to have had a problem from the start.
Omega's quality has been in freefall for a long time now. The big problem is that they've reached the point where they know some of their models are completely faulty and are simply not willing to recall them. I don't think I'll own another Omega.

You know who is making some nice watches these days is Tag Heuer - they've really changed their style a bit. I saw someone wearing their Carrera model and it looked really sharp.

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
I had an old 60's vintage Seiko watch my dad brought home from his stint in the Navy during the Vietnam war. It was self winding and all mechanical. Beautiful watch, worth a fortune, and fell off my wrist and broke. I haven't had the heart to wear a watch since. Some things you just can't replace. :( I now use the cellphone, computer, car stereo, cablebox or the sun.

-AZ

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
RC54730 said:
You know who is making some nice watches these days is Tag Heuer - they've really changed their style a bit. I saw someone wearing their Carrera model and it looked really sharp.

yeah, no fooling! I tried a Carrera on the other day. Hinted that it would make a nice wedding gift!:wink:

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
I have no excuse to not know the time, I have several devices on me most of the time that will tell me what time it is.

1. Timex Ironman watch with analog and digital display

2. My personal cell phone

3. A work issued Nextel phone

4. A work issued pager (I know, who uses pagers anymore?)

5. My scanner (so it doesn't really tell the time but dispatchers announce the time after every transmission)

Raven95150 said:
I have no excuse to not know the time, I have several devices on me most of the time that will tell me what time it is.

1. Timex Ironman watch with analog and digital display
Ok, you're normal...

2. My personal cell phone
Yep, still normal...

3. A work issued Nextel phone
4. A work issued pager (I know, who uses pagers anymore?)
Definitely normal...

5. My scanner (so it doesn't really tell the time but dispatchers announce the time after every transmission)
Ok, you're weird :)

My "poor man's" watch collection includes:

- Seiko SKX007 automatic diver (my current daily wearer)

- Hamilton Khaki manual military style (currently being repaired)

- DeFaubre Ocean 1 automatic diver (Submariner homage type watch)

- Seiko SNK805K2 military style automatic (scored this one from overstock.com for $40)

- Citizen quartz diver

- Citizen titanium eco drive

and a broken Traser tritium dial quartz

Status
Not open for further replies.