Watchdog Pager

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian86

Database Admin
So I am trying to program a watchdog pager with all the appropriate software from US Alert and the software says no comm port detected and it wont let me read or write the pager. I have had the same problem on 3 different computers and two OS. Does anyone know if the pager has to be put in programming mode, as i am new to these pagers and the directions that come with it are very far and few between.

Best Regards, BRian

SAR923

Is the connection a USB cable? If so, it's probably using com port simulation. Go to Control Panel, Device Manager, Hardware, and look for the com port being used for the Watchdog USB to com port cable. There should be a setting in the software to let you select the com port setting to match what's being used on your computer.

brian86

Database Admin
usb

Is the connection a USB cable? If so, it's probably using com port simulation. Go to Control Panel, Device Manager, Hardware, and look for the com port being used for the Watchdog USB to com port cable. There should be a setting in the software to let you select the com port setting to match what's being used on your computer.

It is a serial cable. It connects at the beginning and retrieves the basic info from the pager. Then it won't let you send anything to it Or read anything from it. At the bottom of program it says serial cable disconnected. It's weird .

SAR923

Since you've tried this on three different computers and two different OS's, the only thing that makes sense is that the cable is defective. Is this a new cable or have you had it for some time?

brian86

Database Admin
new

Since you've tried this on three different computers and two different OS's, the only thing that makes sense is that the cable is defective. Is this a new cable or have you had it for some time?

No. This is brand new from the factory. I am calling them Monday just seeing if anyone knew anything.

brian86

Database Admin
So got a new programmer and still had the same problem. So I take the pager programmer out of the case and sat the board down on the desk and manually held the pager on the pins and it programs. I'm gonna say its a manufacture issue.

Moral to the story, If you have a watchdog programmer and it wont read or write to the pager take the hole thing apart and program your pager.

SAR923

Glad you found a way to program it, but I'd be looking for a new brand of pager after that experience. :)

load_nikon

...take the pager programmer out of the case and sat the board down on the desk and manually held the pager on the pins and it programs...
You're not the only one. Except I can't even do that with mine. I think the problem is where the pins are soldered to the board, if not where the traces go though the board from top to bottom. All this stuff is surface mount and I'm not that great at soldering little stuff.
IMAG0222.jpg

On the bottom, it's obvious they clipped the globs of solder short after it cooled... stresses components.

Is anyone here good with reverse-engineering and making stuff better? Like this guy: https://sites.google.com/site/radioetcetera/minitorprogrammer

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.