Waterford PD encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

w1haf

I have noticed the same thing. It sounds like they are doing some radio updates. I hope that they don’t choose to go full time encrypted. That would really be a shame. Keeping it on a Ops channel is okay. Then we can just lock those talkgroups out.

I wonder if NLPD will follow.

coolrich55

I've never heard much on the ops channel. A bolo once. Nothing that ever needed to be encrypted. The tac channel on the other hand has been encrypted for a long time now. That might be sensitive info. But honestly besides maybe a swat situation I never hear anything on the radios between Waterford or New London that needs to be encrypted. I assume surveillance is d o ne with cell phones. Back in the old days, the 90's I remember listening to NL doing drug stings on tac 3. 453.600. Those were fun summer nights.

coolrich55

Today Sunday, hearing a whole bunch of encrypted traffic on WPD OPS 1 and 2. Besides testing I don't know what they would be using them for.

55engine

Premium Subscriber
Swat team Surveillance narcotics As long as the primary channel stays in the clear that makes me happy but it would be nice to hare everything in the clear

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
Coolrich,

I listen to WPD all day, in my station ... in Waterford ... at home ... and while its got some 'buzzing' from activity, there is not really much activity on it.

sefrischling

55 Engine : Swat team Surveillance narcotics As long as the primary channel stays in the clear that makes me happy but it would be nice to hare everything in the clear

SWAT is on CSP, not on Waterford.

coolrich55

Coolrich,

I listen to WPD all day, in my station ... in Waterford ... at home ... and while its got some 'buzzing' from activity, there is not really much activity on it.
Not much true but as of when I started this thread there has been some encrypted traffic. It's definitely something new. I've been monitoring WPD since the new system began and never heard encryption on OPS 1 until the other week. Like I said I've been hearing it everyday for about a week. Less than a minute here and there. Nothing more than that.

Last edited:

coolrich55

Swat team Surveillance narcotics As long as the primary channel stays in the clear that makes me happy but it would be nice to hare everything in the clear
It's not swat for sure and I doubt it's narcs. Who knows maybe they don't even know they turned their encryption on. If you listen to Subase fire units there's always one unit that has the encryption on, on their radio. All other fire units are in the clear. Does he know his radio is encrypted? Why aren't the others encrypted? It's obviously not a protocal thing otherwise they'd all be. Probably doesn't even know it's on. The only people that really notice are ones with scanners lol.

mkt853

It's not swat for sure and I doubt it's narcs. Who knows maybe they don't even know they turned their encryption on. If you listen to Subase fire units there's always one unit that has the encryption on, on their radio. All other fire units are in the clear. Does he know his radio is encrypted? Why aren't the others encrypted? It's obviously not a protocal thing otherwise they'd all be. Probably doesn't even know it's on. The only people that really notice are ones with scanners lol.
I think this is fairly common on encrypted systems. There's always that wayward radio that's in the clear, and I've always wondered how that happens. I see that on the Greenwich system. Once a week or so you hear a random unit in the clear, but the other side, presumably dispatch, is encrypted.

coolrich55

I think this is fairly common on encrypted systems. There's always that wayward radio that's in the clear, and I've always wondered how that happens. I see that on the Greenwich system. Once a week or so you hear a random unit in the clear, but the other side, presumably dispatch, is encrypted.
True. Today Subase PD dispatch is in the clear. Always normally encrypted as well as the units. Makes no sence. Someone hit the wrong button.

APX7500X2

When Greenwich go's over to the new TDMA system soon ,that issue will be fixed.
Its a Programming issue, our channels are Encrypted or not, no choice, the federal government loves to have a switch instead of using up another channel position so they get radios in and out of encryption all the time.

Archie

Wateford PD: Might just be a gradual transition to full encryption. This is it occured in Yonkers last fall. A few field units had it then dispatched remained clear before all field units got their new radios and then dispatch also went dark. Would bet both Mount Vernon and New Rochelle PD's do the same.

mkt853

Is Greenwich going to full encrypted mode?
It has been for several years now. It sucks because when they went digital they made a point of stating that the system would remain in the clear and they didn't see a need for encryption, but here we are. All the other little towns in Fairfield County have their police encrypted, so I guess Greenwich felt left out of the party.

sefrischling

"Wateford PD: Might just be a gradual transition to full encryption. This is it occured in Yonkers last fall. A few field units had it then dispatched remained clear before all field units got their new radios and then dispatch also went dark. Would bet both Mount Vernon and New Rochelle PD's do the same."

... there are no plans for WPD to go encrypted at this time.

coolrich55

"Wateford PD: Might just be a gradual transition to full encryption. This is it occured in Yonkers last fall. A few field units had it then dispatched remained clear before all field units got their new radios and then dispatch also went dark. Would bet both Mount Vernon and New Rochelle PD's do the same."

... there are no plans for WPD to go encrypted at this time.
You mean there are no plans for the dispach tg to encrypted. Were there plans for the ops tg's to go encrypted? Hope you're right but wouldn't be surprised if they did.

Status
Not open for further replies.