Wayne chooses M/A Com for new radio system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
Which system is better

I once did a count using the RR database to see how many trnked systems were in operation in NJ. The results were LTR=7 EDACS=13 ,and Motorola=49. There must be a reason for that. If Wayne is going to buy a trunked system, they should at least buy the best. We here in Verona were hoping Montclair was going to go EDACS in 2005. That would have helped both towns by sharing a common platform. But Montclair did not fall into the trap. They went with the best.

kenisned

Premium Subscriber
Anyone else think that 9 million for a town this size is a bit excessive?

Not to mention that a trunked system that could probably support hundreds of units will probably support 30 at the most at one time, might be overkill?

I'm not from Wayne, so maybe i'm all wet, but it seems excessive.

RocketNJ

I heard their consultant was very pro MaCom. Hope they did their homework and seen the failures and overruns with the PA system.

Wonder if Wayne Twp will regret their decision.

SCPD

QRT

Not to mention that a trunked system that could probably support hundreds of units will probably support 30 at the most at one time, might be overkill?

Who are we to question what the good taxpayers of Wayne, if they want to spend $$$ on a radio system. They will need more than 1 tower to support digital. Maybe it includes bribes and kickbacks. :)

SCPD

QRT
I heard their consultant was very pro MaCom. Hope they did their homework and seen the failures and overruns with the PA system.

Wonder if Wayne Twp will regret their decision.

If the Police are doing their own research, why the need for a consultant?

RocketNJ

Don't know.

The Moto bid came in over $1 million lower. Even after Moto added another tower site to match the M/A-Com design Moto was still almost $750k lower.

ResQguy

Meh

Off the top of my head, the system will have to support over 100 police officers, 5 fire companies, first aid squad & dept of public works in addition to whatever else they have created in the last 15 years (I know they will not be all talking at once). Take into consideration the numerous tax ratables (businesses) and the population of over 55,000 with a median family income of over $100,000 equals a township that can afford it.

SCPD

QRT
Don't know.

The Moto bid came in over $1 million lower. Even after Moto added another tower site to match the M/A-Com design Moto was still almost $750k lower.

I thought under the competitive bid laws they have to take the lowest bid.

kenisned

Premium Subscriber
Off the top of my head, the system will have to support over 100 police officers, 5 fire companies, first aid squad & dept of public works in addition to whatever else they have created in the last 15 years (I know they will not be all talking at once). Take into consideration the numerous tax ratables (businesses) and the population of over 55,000 with a median family income of over $100,000 equals a township that can afford it.

That system will have to support all those users at once? Gosh, how many precincts is wayne?!?! I hope they have multiple talkgroups for all those precincts.

Seems to me that if they want to put in a system with such overkill, they should look to regionalize it. Then you'd be getting some use of all that capacity.

I assure you that this system will use maybe six talk groups not counting any tactical talk groups. Could have been done much cheaper and just as effectively with a non trunked system.

Overkill... plain and simple.

Last edited:

kenisned

Premium Subscriber
From what I understand they did an RFP and not request for bid.

This project would have to be bid, no doubt. Anything over ~20K has to go to bid.

However, depending on how the spec or RFP was written, another bidder would probably have to take too many exceptions and they could throw out the other bid.

It doesn't have to go to the lowest bidder, but you'd better have your documentation straight.

SCPD

QRT
This project would have to be bid, no doubt. Anything over ~20K has to go to bid.

However, depending on how the spec or RFP was written, another bidder would probably have to take too many exceptions and they could throw out the other bid.

It doesn't have to go to the lowest bidder, but you'd better have your documentation straight.

Yeah. Freddie told me how they craft the bid so that only one vendor can bid on it. I think that's how they did the new pumper.

Look at Wayne on google maps. It's approx. 50 sq. mi with a pop. around 50k. About the pop. of Parsippany. Right now each Dept. Fire/EMS/PD runs two channels each conventional UHF. I think the reason they think they need this monstrosity is because there current radios are so bad. Their only running 1 transmitter for the entire town. One the flip side TRS's are good because it elminiates outside interference.

This reminds me of Hunterdon Co. They have an awesome VHF conventional system and they have applied for a UHF TRS. Also, towns are jumping on the Homeland Security bandwagon, applying for a grant to pay for the radios labeling "interop purposes".

Just my .25.

kenisned

Premium Subscriber
Yeah. Freddie told me how they craft the bid so that only one vendor can bid on it. I think that's how they did the new pumper.

Look at Wayne on google maps. It's approx. 50 sq. mi with a pop. around 50k. About the pop. of Parsippany. Right now each Dept. Fire/EMS/PD runs two channels each conventional UHF. I think the reason they think they need this monstrosity is because there current radios are so bad. Their only running 1 transmitter for the entire town. One the flip side TRS's are good because it elminiates outside interference.

This reminds me of Hunterdon Co. They have an awesome VHF conventional system and they have applied for a UHF TRS. Also, towns are jumping on the Homeland Security bandwagon, applying for a grant to pay for the radios labeling "interop purposes".

Just my .25.

I agree, and that's why multiple receiver sites with a voter can help with a lot of these problems.

Somehow, FDNY manages without a trunked system.... Newark, Paterson...etc...etc.

I'm not against TRS, but if you are going to spend that money then do it as a regional effort and really have interoperability.

SCPD

QRT
I agree, and that's why multiple receiver sites with a voter can help with a lot of these problems.

Somehow, FDNY manages without a trunked system.... Newark, Paterson...etc...etc.

I'm not against TRS, but if you are going to spend that money then do it as a regional effort and really have interoperability.

They will be next in the coming years.

gcr33

FDNY is going UHF trunked. The system is being built by NYC DOITT who now runs the radio systems.

M-A com = who? GE a toaster company, Critical Communications a bunch of Pittsburgh lawyers; M-A Comm and now Tyco Toys. Oh do you want to buy the company that has been trying to bring BROKEN sky for PA for years. Tinker Toy has it up for sale again.

Will BROKEN sky continue under new ownership? Will the company survive on their toaster laurels?
Will the company ever be able to provide a working wide area system? I doubt it!

Status
Not open for further replies.