Wayne county Hideout POA

Status
Not open for further replies.

katt02

Katt
Hi all,

I am looking into a scanner for the Wayne county area; specially, I would like to include the Hideout POA in my scanning database, and I saw that on radioreference the frequencies were listed as FM; however the website of the POA states they use digital encrypted. I have not been able to listen to anything there yet because I have no scanner yet. I have noticed that they use motoTRBO so if anything I would assume that they use DMR. Finally, I have found a RR post from 2013 that said they think the public safety went digital, but I am unsure if that is outdated.

So my question is are they FM and the RR database is correct, or are they digital and encrypted?

Thanks, Katt

magiclightman

Premium Subscriber
Hi all,

I am looking into a scanner for the Wayne county area; specially, I would like to include the Hideout POA in my scanning database, and I saw that on radioreference the frequencies were listed as FM; however the website of the POA states they use digital encrypted. I have not been able to listen to anything there yet because I have no scanner yet. I have noticed that they use motoTRBO so if anything I would assume that they use DMR. Finally, I have found a RR post from 2013 that said they think the public safety went digital, but I am unsure if that is outdated.

So my question is are they FM and the RR database is correct, or are they digital and encrypted?

Thanks, Katt

I’ll check the DB for you. Whats your price range, do you want to get your county’s system as well or just POA? How close to POA are you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

katt02

Katt
I was thinking about getting just a vhf radio that I would use for murs and have the county vhf and hideout vhf monitoring, but if they are DMR than I would consider one of the newer uniden scanners that could get DMR with an upgrade. I am inside the poa and I was thinking of getting a vhf radio for ham stuff too.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Those two listings for the Hideout POA were last updated/added in 2009. Quite a lot could've changed in the last 10 years. If they are MotoTRBO, then yes that is DMR. If they are encrypted, then obviously nothing you buy is going to receive them. Your best bet would be to try to find someone local who has a scanner you can borrow, or maybe see if you can find a local ham who might know what they're using.

magiclightman

Premium Subscriber
You might also want to get an SDR dongle, for $30 you can use a computer to see what might be out there in the RF spectrum, as well as using DSD to decode non encrypted DMR.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
You might also want to get an SDR dongle, for $30 you can use a computer to see what might be out there in the RF spectrum, as well as using DSD to decode non encrypted DMR.
Excellent point, I completely spaced out on that idea!

This would be a good kit to start with, comes with antennas that will be fine for scoping out local signals.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GDN1T4S

magiclightman

Premium Subscriber

magiclightman

Premium Subscriber
Once you have the system setup, check the following frequencies for activity:

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
It is a fully encrypted MOTOTRBO DMR system. Don't even bother trying to hear it. (From a source that lives there and I know knows.)

magiclightman

Premium Subscriber
It is a fully encrypted MOTOTRBO DMR system. Don't even bother trying to hear it. (From a source that lives there and I know knows.)

Do you know the frequencies, trunked/convec...etc? Might be worth it to have it updated in the DB

katt02

Katt
I do have an sdr however I have not brought it up there because that is my summer house. Their website claims full digital encryption(I would assume DMR digital because I have seen the XPR motoTRBO radios), however the FCC ULS says they are only analog; which is why I need to know from someone up there or from experience. I do remember hearing what sounded like digital voice when I was near a patrol officer up there but I cant tell if they use encryption with just that. I Believe they are still vhf conventional because when I saw the radios they had "Channel 1 Talk" and "Channel 2 Talk Around" but I am not sure. I will be bringing up a conventional radio next time I am there.

Last edited:

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
Many times people and shops upgrade radios without updating the license for new emission codes. Cant always go by that.

WB3DYE

Silent Key
I think it's strange---the people in the Hideout spend mega dollars in association fees but are barred from knowing whats going on in their community????????????????????

katt02

Katt
well.... from what I have heard from being around some of these radios there is not much that happens around there and when something does happen its not major. They do give everyone a report of what incidents went on during the month and what the outcome is.

PS: Back on the topic of the radio system idk if a system admin can keep this unlocked for further replies because as soon as I can I will make my way there and figure out what they are using and I would like to post a reply that will inform anyone else looking for the information correctly.

katt02

Katt
Well, I have an update:
After spending the weekend there, I can confirm that the POA is DMR, however I cannot confirm encryption, color codes, or talkgroups. I noticed that the XPR 6550s were all on PS 1, which is channel 1 and is the dispatch channel. I have just an analog recording of the dmr sound, and It does not appear to be encrypted, but I will have to try to bring an SDR next time to decode it.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Well, I have an update:
After spending the weekend there, I can confirm that the POA is DMR, however I cannot confirm encryption, color codes, or talkgroups. I noticed that the XPR 6550s were all on PS 1, which is channel 1 and is the dispatch channel. I have just an analog recording of the dmr sound, and It does not appear to be encrypted, but I will have to try to bring an SDR next time to decode it.
Basic or Enhanced Privacy usage cannot be determined just by listening to digital noise with an analog receiver. You'll need to look at the signal with DSD+ to determine the relevant info.

Status
Not open for further replies.