WBCQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

ridgescan

Anyone else notice the huge signal from WBCQ lately on 9330kHz? On now @ 0153UTC playing some good rock. Peaking +20 over here in San Francisco.

n5rv

Chemically inert
Premium Subscriber
Same here in west central Texas. I guess they are exercising the new 500KW transmitter and steerable curtain array.

ridgescan

Yeah, +40 here.... never heard them at that level here.... They have now become my goto channel when I'm piddling around the house in the evening... :)
My go-to has been 5085 WTWW for the music after dinner but I might have to give these guys a go:) Have them on my R8600. Signal so strong I have both PBTs kicked all the way to the right on filter 2 for some pretty nice audio.

n5rv

Chemically inert
Premium Subscriber
If I had a steerable curtain array, I'd surely exercise it!

Actually, I grew up about a mile from W1AW. They had some nice gear! Nothing like that, though!

Most definitely!!

I've never made the trip to W1AW. Would be nice to go, but way down the bucket list at the moment. Seeing WBCQ would be high on my bucket list though.... :D

n5rv

Chemically inert
Premium Subscriber
My go-to has been 5085 WTWW for the music after dinner but I might have to give these guys a go:) Have them on my R8600. Signal so strong I have both PBTs kicked all the way to the right on filter 2 for some pretty nice audio.

I have a hard time picking up WTWW until much later in the evening here in west central Texas. But yes, they do play some fine classic rock.

ridgescan

I have a hard time picking up WTWW until much later in the evening here in west central Texas. But yes, they do play some fine classic rock.
As well as WRMI out of Fla. on 9395 and 5850kHz. I sometimes have a tough time getting them here but you might give them a try too.
Nice to have these SW stations thriving! Here locally, I will never find this music anymore. It's very cool that shortwave, my hobby, provides it.

Boombox

Heard some 70's prog-rock on WBCQ the other evening on my Grundig G2, it was a fairly solid S4. The strongest signal on 31 meters, obviously. And it was fair to middling conditions (later, during the early AM, 49 meters was mostly dead aside from RNZI), so I'm sure during better conditions WBCQ may have been a solid S5.

ridgescan

Heard some 70's prog-rock on WBCQ the other evening on my Grundig G2, it was a fairly solid S4. The strongest signal on 31 meters, obviously. And it was fair to middling conditions (later, during the early AM, 49 meters was mostly dead aside from RNZI), so I'm sure during better conditions WBCQ may have been a solid S5.
You ever gonna get an antenna outside there? Or do you figure it isn't worth it?

S

simpilo

I get a decent to strong signal on WBCQ. On 7730khz WRMI on WaveScan Allan Weiner, station owner of WBCQ, was interviewed talking about his array being able to be pointed at different direction and that it was 1,000 feet of wire on the array. I thought it impressive.

ridgescan

I think I was hearing the same guy on 9930 last night-he was stating some impressive facts about the station. How about the 1000' of 9" hard feedline.

Boombox

You ever gonna get an antenna outside there? Or do you figure it isn't worth it?
Yep. I dug out my old 100 foot wire which was curled up in the garage (after a tree took it down in 2005). It needed some rehabilitating, but overall was intact and workable. It's going up in a couple weeks, and then it'll be ready for later this summer / fall etc. I have to figure out a way to ground it safely, as it will be connected to another part of the house (move the ground rod, etc.). We don't have t-storms here often, but it's still the safest thing to do. Once I work up a ground for it, I'll start using it with my DX440 and DX390.

S

simpilo

What do I need to tune in WBCQ?

At least a simple good shortwave receiver. May I recommend this one for starters Amazon.com: RADIWOW R-108 Radio Digital Portable Radio FM Stereo LW/SW/MW/AIR/DSP Receiver with LCD Sound for Indoor&Outdoor Activities for Parents: Gateway

Good clean little radio with DSP but without single side band. Shortwave frequency alone is 1711khz to 30000khz nonstop. LW AM FM(Stereo capable with stereo headsets or amplified speakers) VHF Airband (AM). It's roughly $2 more than Ebay listings but worth it according to my comrades who also use this radio. Plenty sensitive. Great audio. One person decoded Shortwave Radiogram using speaker to microphone coupling without issue.

WBCQ is transmitting on 9330khz, 5130khz, and 7490khz (shared with WRMI). 9330khz seems to be the best.

If you're not ready to make a radio purchase try it on this NA5B – WebSDR

ridgescan

Yep. I dug out my old 100 foot wire which was curled up in the garage (after a tree took it down in 2005). It needed some rehabilitating, but overall was intact and workable. It's going up in a couple weeks, and then it'll be ready for later this summer / fall etc. I have to figure out a way to ground it safely, as it will be connected to another part of the house (move the ground rod, etc.). We don't have t-storms here often, but it's still the safest thing to do. Once I work up a ground for it, I'll start using it with my DX440 and DX390.
Good deal. It'll be nice to get those rigs up and running too I'm sure:)

ridgescan

For the last few nights WBCQ's been running programming tightly akin to the old Doctor Dimento type stuff. Not sure I'm too thrilled with it. Also one guy on Saturday was just hating on President Trump for a good bit to the point I just tuned off.

n5rv

Chemically inert
Premium Subscriber
For the last few nights WBCQ's been running programming tightly akin to the old Doctor Dimento type stuff. Not sure I'm too thrilled with it. Also one guy on Saturday was just hating on President Trump for a good bit to the point I just tuned off.

Yeah, same feelings. There is some programming I like, some I don't. That guy Saturday night was a total jerk. Had to turn it off myself.... Normally I could not here WBCQ down here, but hearing some of the recent programs is nice. I've missed a lot over the years since the band conditions have pretty much sucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.