Wdam-tv

Status
Not open for further replies.

dosboot

WDAM-TV
Is in the process of moving back from UHF channel 28 to their pre-analog allotment,VHFchannel 7.
This move will hopefully give us the reach we had before the Big Swith ( are as I call it the Big Swithch Off) We have also received a Xmitter upgrade The transition will made at 9:30 a.m. on January 28th, 2010 viewers are ask to rescan there DTV'/Converter box.
WDAM-TV is owned by Raycom Media which also owns WLOX in Biloxi, Ms. and WLBT located in Jackson, Ms.

Last edited:

dosboot

I can not comment about what are when, but I'm sure it will be something that will be looked at in the future.

dosboot

On January 28, 2010 at 9:00 a.m., WDAM moved from UHF channel 28 to their pre-analog allotment VHF channel 7. An early field test showed a dramatically improved signal in areas that were lost after the digital transition in June 2009.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
ATSC broadcasting

This is a mixed bag scenario. Dozens of TV stations across the country are broadcasting on VHF 7 and wish they had stayed on UHF. The VHF signals tend to travel further, but the UHF signals are more able to penetrate buildings. So it all depends on the exact circumstances of THIS broadcaster, and each specific viewer they are trying to reach.

dosboot

All the factors were taken into consideration before switching back to VHF. After the new x-mitter was put online we are now back in Waynesboro and as far as Wiggins based on a field test before the new xmitter was brought online. The New xmitters former home was WLBT in Jackson and was trsnported to WDAM and installed along with a new transmittion line. WDAM's engineering had a phone bank set up and logged over
three-hundred calls on Thursday.

roadranger

Hmm..

I hadn't realised that this regression was allowwed. I thought the swtich to digital was mandatory. I had noticed from the big rig that a lot of stations here in Ms. and in La. that are not digital. Oh well. At least this area is well on it's way to recovery from Katrina and we have noticed tons of new construction and razed sites rebuilt. Many new cellphone towers, too. Well, in La. anyway. Interesting state, by-the-by. Some of the back roads are rough on the new rig. 73 guys... KE4EOI

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I hadn't realised that this regression was allowwed. I thought the swtich to digital was mandatory.
This is not a "regression"; they are switching their DIGITAL channel back to VHF 7. The switch is only currently mandatory for full power TV stations in the USA. Because there are a lot of low power analog stations out there, the whole issue of a bypass switch came up on converter boxes.

I had noticed from the big rig that a lot of stations here in Ms. and in La. that are not digital. Oh well.
That could be because the big rig is getting its signals from analog cable, low power analog, local "translators" or a service of some type.

Status
Not open for further replies.