Weak Signals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

btlacer

KI4SJU/ Fire Captain/ EMTFR
I was just wondering if anyone else has been receiving weak signals lately on the HF frequencies? I have a Icom 718 and live in Kentucky and listen to the Air traffic control in New York and they usually come in booming! Now I can hardly hear them. I thought that when winter sets in that signals get better.. Can anyone else share some light on the issue?

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
It's all in ionospheric propagation which has its variables, many of them unexpected and unpredictable. In other words it has its ups and downs besides the sunspot cycles and occasionally goes into a slump so don't worry, it's only temporary.

The seasonal changes you're thinking of are lightning static crashes in summer and a lower noise floor overall in winter unrelated to propagation, just noise.

trashman43

Kentucky DB Admin...
Database Admin
If you are talking about 8918, I have noticed the same thing. Give it some time, it will be back strong as ever.

I was just wondering if anyone else has been receiving weak signals lately on the HF frequencies? I have a Icom 718 and live in Kentucky and listen to the Air traffic control in New York and they usually come in booming! Now I can hardly hear them. I thought that when winter sets in that signals get better.. Can anyone else share some light on the issue?

brandon

Database Admin
Yep, same thing noted here.
This morning I could barely hear Singapore volmet on 6676, where yesterday their signal was about S9 at my location. But I am confident things will pick back up... they always do :)

lanbergld

Reception of NY ATCs vary for me also. When its raining outside I get my strongest reception. Not only on HF but also with longwave work.

Larry Lanberg

Richmond VA

bluefox2163

yep jeff here in connecticut ive definitely noticed that in the past few days signals are weak such as 6.604 usb avation weather i could hardly hear em,but each day is different though,sometimes everything starts coming in loud and clear,the next day they are gone oh well what can you do!

trashman43

Kentucky DB Admin...
Database Admin
8918 back loud and clear in Central KY today
5550 also

Last edited:

pathalogical

I've been getting good copy on 6577 (earlier today around 1950z) and atc gives secondary freq as 5550. I usually get weak rx from the pilot, but on 6577 I've been able to hear the pilot better. Also heard REACH 2-8-0 and the usual passenger planes.

Status
Not open for further replies.