BC246T: Weather FIPS Codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ginky4

In the Freescan software I see where you can program in different Weather FIPS codes for different counties. How do the FIPS codes work once loaded into the scanner? Where do they show up?

I don't see anyway to put those FIPS codes into a Bank so I can turn them on or off.

Does the scanner just start broadcasting should one of those codes be activated? The scanner is a Uniden BC246T.

Attachments

• FIPS.gif
    FIPS.gif
    52.8 KB · Views: 29

Disk4mat

I have a different model scanner. But I'll try to answer some of those questions. Once you program FIPS codes they are stored in the scanners settings and not into a system/group per say.

See Programming SAME groups section

To listen to the weather channel, press Hold to hold on any channel.
Press and hold
Func then 2/(WX).
At 'WX Operation-Weather Scan' press E/Yes.
Scroll to select a different weather channel.
Press Scan to exit.

To get weather alerts should one of the FIPS codes becomes active
Receiving SAME Weather Alerts

This setting determines which types of signals will trigger an alert. In weather alert mode, your scanner functions as a severe weather warning radio. See Programming SAME Groups first.
Warning! If you receive an alert it will be at FULL volume.

To Set Weather Alert Mode, press Hold to hold on any channel.
Press and hold
Func then 2/(WX).
At 'WX Operation' scroll to 'Weather Alert' and press E/Yes.
Scroll to 1 of 3 options and press E/Yes.

'Alert Only' The scanner alerts when it detects the 1050Hz tone that accompanies all weather alerts.

'SAME 1-5' The scanner alerts and displays information about the weather alert when it receives a weather alert signal that includes any FIPS code you have programmed into the specified SAME group.

'All FIPS' The scanner alerts and displays information about the weather alert when it receives any FIPS code.

The scanner will mute and scan the weather channels. When it detects a 1050 Hz tone that accompanies all weather alerts it sounds a tone, displays information about the weather alert, and turns on the audio so you can hear the weather broadcast. This is especially useful when your area is expecting severe weather conditions late at night.

Lastly you can find FIPS codes here: NOAA Fips by State

ginky4

Thanks for the info. I assume once these FIPS codes are programmed into the scanner they kind of just stay hidden until they are activated for a weather emergency.

Disk4mat

Thanks for the info. I assume once these FIPS codes are programmed into the scanner they kind of just stay hidden until they are activated for a weather emergency.
No problem! Yes, provided you have enabled Weather Alert Mode.
@doctordialtone posted a link to your scanner manual that will have more detailed instructions and information.

Status
Not open for further replies.