Weather forecast

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Weather broadcasts across local fire Dept frequencies on both my scanners..why
That's something being done locally, by who I don't know. I've heard the same in your area during some of my occasional visits to Abilene. Among others, I've heard the repeated forecasts on one of the frequencies used for wildfires.

The weather forecast is not being directly broadcast on public safety frequencies on a regular basis here in the DFW area. Occasionally, you might hear a local agency repeat information they've heard about severe storms or possible tornadoes in their area. but in general, they don't rebroadcast NWS live or via a taped warning.

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
Weather broadcasts across local fire Dept frequencies on both my scanners..why
If it's not intentional, then it might be due to weather conditions and/or intermod(strong signals(from the weather broadcast channel) mixing with other signals), and coming through where they are not suppose to.

twobytwo

At times the fire dept in Lubbock will give a short weather report when fire fighters are at chemical spill, grass fire, etc. to keep the people at the scene informed.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
If it's not intentional, then it might be due to weather conditions and/or intermod(strong signals(from the weather broadcast channel) mixing with other signals), and coming through where they are not suppose to.
Ben
I can't speak for "everytime", as I'm only out to the Abilene area a couple times a year. But on the times I've heard the weather rebroadcast, it has not been on any sort of day with an impending weather event (strong to severe storms), and also no working wildfire incidents in the region. I do believe it's intentional. By whom, I don't know, as I've not heard any specific ID when receiving the transmissions.

While intermod can do crazy things at times, I was hearing the WX out on I-20, miles away from any collection of transmit towers.

Here at home (Dallas), I don't have intermod issues with my current Uniden scanners, even though I'm less than 5 miles from downtowwn Dallas, where the 'Green Monster' has multiple SMR transmitters on top. And I've not had intermod issues even when in Cedar Hill, and I know that you can only guess how many transmitters are staged on the antenna forest towers out there.

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
Many years back (1980s thru 1990s), there was an NWS transmitter in Hamilton Park (near LBJ and US75). It was loud and proud and would frequently bleed/puke/intermod all over everything. You could even catch some on UHF on double-het receivers (162.4*3)-(10.7*4) = 465.8. With triple-het it wasn't so bad. The transmitter was eventually upgraded and the transmission cleaned up (looks like it's moved, now).

Are there any NWS transmitters nearby - even miles away? Station search ... NOAA Weather Radio - Station Search

Last edited:

Ensnared

If the other counties are digital, then yes, there is a chance you will hear them. I have been in Abilene and heard Nolan County key up on a digital conventional frequency.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Here in west Georgia, weather information is always broadcast when units are dispatched to a hazmat situation (typically a chemical spill). If it's serious enough, the mobile command post is also dispatched. It has weather equipment on board to keep personnel apprised of the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.