Weather Radio Canada - discontinued in Saskatchewan

VE5JL

Premium Subscriber
Just heard on 162.55 MHz that Weather Radio will be discontinued in 6 months in this area.

See below:

Weatheradio Canada Status Update – August 23rd, 2022
Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC) is continuing to solicit feedback on the possible decommissioning of 48 of 234 Weatheradio Canada transmitters in its national network to better understand the value of this VHF broadcast service to Canadians.

The transmitters identified for possible decommissioning are generally situated in areas where they provide overlapping service and where alternate access channels such as cell phone service, Canadian Coast Guard VHF marine radio, and internet accessibility are readily available as a source of ECCC weather information and alerts.

As of August 19, 2022, a message will be broadcast on 8 of the proposed transmitters about their impending closure this fall, with details for providing final comments and feedback. These 8 transmitters are: Cooking Lake, AB; Saskatoon, SK; Orillia, ON; Brockville, ON; Fredericton, NB; Perth-Andover, NB; Aspen-Melrose, NS and Grand Falls, NL.

The Weatheradio Canada network has been modernized through 2021-2022 with new voice technology and an upgraded electronics system.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
They've screwed up the Weather Radio system so much, there isn't much point in keeping it on the air. It's almost as if they're purposely sabotaging it.

KA0XR

Premium Subscriber
They've screwed up the Weather Radio system so much, there isn't much point in keeping it on the air. It's almost as if they're purposely sabotaging it.

I don't live in Canada but came across this post. Just curious what is Canada doing to their weather radio to screw it up? I know they don't run anywhere near as much power as the typical US station does.

BC_Scan

Just curious what is Canada doing to their weather radio to screw it up
I think it's not screwing up, its consolidating of resources. Over here on the best coast, it is alive and well in both English and French.
Best Coast is active water way all the way up to Alaska as is our neighbours to the south (WA state) and of course Oregon and CA
anywhere inland (majority of Canada) that doesn't have waterways, they are turning them down.
I doubt these places have weather radios anyhow. Anybody's guess.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Ours was slated for turn down but we convinced them that we have enough recreational users (boaters for example) that it still performed a useful service.

EWC_BDN

They have been transmitting for years. If you use this service, please tell them. I guess not enough people wrote them letters. The people I heard this from did write in that they liked the service. I don't know why though?