Weather Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gymbag

Premium Subscriber
With all the nasty weather we've been having I was wondering what type of weather radio is everyone or anyone using here in Southwestern Ontario? I know you can get the weather channels and such on the newer scanners but I'm looking for info on an actual weather radio.

02blackss

Premium Subscriber
Hello gymbag, I have 2. One portable unit from Oregan Scientific and my base model which is a Midland WR-300

I have my WR-300 hooked up to an external antenna and it has never failed to go off during a severe weather event. It accepts all canadian SAME codes as well. Has 7 different frequencies you can select from I believe. Tt is available from Durham Radio and on their website.

regards,

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
I have the same radio WR-300, excellent radio but mine lost some of its display within the first year.(mostly where the time and CH number is) But its been very good for weather updates, 5 minute delay from my email alerts but still does the job... Excellent backup.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
HP-1 due to the cool weather icons and labels of what counties it covers

however using a $600 radio for weather alerts ties up a scanner that could be used for much better things

unlisted

I use a Eton FR-600 at home and the office. I love it for wx alerts and the other features hands down- very, VERY good RX all around. (Its actually on sale @ The Source currently for $30.00 off list price)

I used to use a RadioShack Handheld Weather Radio with SAME (Model:12-259) which works well, but likes to eat batteries. (use it for camping mostly now)

And of course, I have a HP-1- which is nothing short of amazing for wx alerts- but as already mentioned, it ties up the scanner end of it. (hence having the Eton sitting beside it)

Now, with all that said, I still prefer the email route- I'm on a priority email notification with EC for my job- I get the warning anywhere between 6-12 mins in advance of the radios alerting. (which in my line of work is a very good thing...)

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
An oldie but goodie! R/S 20-249a One the very first same receivers for the public consumer, plus an accuweather alert on my phone.

n9zas

69stiles

I use a Eton FR-600 at home and the office. I love it for wx alerts and the other features hands down- very, VERY good RX all around. (Its actually on sale @ The Source currently for $30.00 off list price)

I used to use a RadioShack Handheld Weather Radio with SAME (Model:12-259) which works well, but likes to eat batteries. (use it for camping mostly now)

And of course, I have a HP-1- which is nothing short of amazing for wx alerts- but as already mentioned, it ties up the scanner end of it. (hence having the Eton sitting beside it)

Now, with all that said, I still prefer the email route- I'm on a priority email notification with EC for my job- I get the warning anywhere between 6-12 mins in advance of the radios alerting. (which in my line of work is a very good thing...)

How does one get these Environment Canada email notifications?

unlisted

How does one get these Environment Canada email notifications?

The ones I receive are not available to the public or media. With that said, there is a "media only" email version available through EC. See the following link for more info: Environment Canada - Media Room - Media Enquiries

There is a website subscribed to (I assume) the media emails and anyone can join - I subscribed to it a few years ago and found it useful at the time- Its called weather server. WeatherServer.net

Hope this helps, if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
I use a VHF HT750 that is programmed up with Quick Call II decode on the local WX channel to decode the long tone you hear. Far more sensitive than any weather radio I've ever owned. It doesn't do FIPS codes, but really that isn't an issue for me.

69stiles

The ones I receive are not available to the public or media. With that said, there is a "media only" email version available through EC. See the following link for more info: Environment Canada - Media Room - Media Enquiries

There is a website subscribed to (I assume) the media emails and anyone can join - I subscribed to it a few years ago and found it useful at the time- Its called weather server. WeatherServer.net

Hope this helps, if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

I'll give weather server a try. Thank you

VA3SOM

Premium Subscriber
I use my 996XT, when i feel there is threatening weather coming or some activity on the radar or even a watch i keep it on weather radio mode over night i put it in alert (has a very loud siren) but during the day i just listen like normal.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
I use my 996XT, when i feel there is threatening weather coming or some activity on the radar or even a watch i keep it on weather radio mode over night i put it in alert (has a very loud siren) but during the day i just listen like normal.

Hey Burlington homey:

Although the watches and warning are cancelled for our area as we speak there are 2 cells approaching, lots of lightening and right now rain.

Be prepared to wake up for a weather alert

VE3RADIO

I use my HP-1 for WX alerts.. I have it beside my bed and whenever I am at work or it is not in use it is set to monitor the weather alerts for our area.

Nap

Sangean CL-100. Not only it has a great Weather Radio alert system, but also reception and sound quality on regular FM and AM radio is excellent.

Nap.

unlisted

Sangean CL-100. Not only it has a great Weather Radio alert system, but also reception and sound quality on regular FM and AM radio is excellent.

Nap.

Gotta love the difference between Canada and the USA...

Sangean CL-100

CDN Amazon Price: $104.90
USA Amazon Price: $ 64.99

02blackss

Premium Subscriber

I just ordered one of these from Radioworld for 75 dollars as well. Unfortuantely Durham Radio was backordered and out of stock. (Just called yesterday) I currently have the midland WR-300 but after reading the reviews on the Sangean CL-100, I decided to pick one up. The Midland does not recognize the EOT data burts and continues on for 5 minutes before the voice shuts off. The CL-100 turns off after the warning/watch/advisory has finished coming through.

Jason

unlisted

I just ordered one of these from Radioworld for 75 dollars as well. Unfortuantely Durham Radio was backordered and out of stock. (Just called yesterday) I currently have the midland WR-300 but after reading the reviews on the Sangean CL-100, I decided to pick one up. The Midland does not recognize the EOT data burts and continues on for 5 minutes before the voice shuts off. The CL-100 turns off after the warning/watch/advisory has finished coming through.

Jason

If you want to get something with all (and more) features, The Source still has the Eton FR600 on clearance sale- I just checked a few stores in the GTA still have them in stock. $49.96 Solarlink FR600 self-powered digital AM/FM/SW/NOAA weather radio | Shortwave & Emergency | Clearance Outlet | Ratings & Reviews | TheSource.ca

(I do not work for the Source, nor do I have any interest in it- just think its a heck of a deal, and a really good radio)

More info on the Eton http://forums.radioreference.com/hf-mw-lw-general-discussion/171141-eton-fr600-solarlink-review.html

Status
Not open for further replies.