• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Weather spotters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skullboy

I have always been interested in weather spotting. What classes do I need or who do I talk to about weather spotting in my area?Kane county IL>skull

Mozilla

Skywarn

Usually an internet search for your county, area or State along with the world Skywarn should get you some sites with info. Also you might want to post in your States' forum...
ANother source is the National Weather Service, since they usually do the training and can tell you who is affiliated in there area.

K0AZV

skullboy said:
I have always been interested in weather spotting. What classes do I need or who do I talk to about weather spotting in my area?Kane county IL>skull
From your county's homepage under Emergency Management...

"The SKYWARN program at Kane County Office of Emergency Management augments the public service resources that are available during severe weather events. As noted above, an amateur radio nets are established during severe weather events on the KC9OEM repeater. Any licensed amateur radio operator is invited to contribute to these nets. Weather reports may also be called into the EOC via the phone at 630-208-2048."

Kane County is under the umbrella of the Northern Illinois Multi-County Skywarn. Their webpage is http://weather.cod.edu/skywarn/

The link to Skywarn Class dates is not working correctly but if you email the contact folks listed on that page (NIMCS) they should be able to help you.

Max...

jmp883

I definitely recommend taking the Skywarn spotter class. I got my ham license back in March of this year and took the Skywarn class in June. We have a weekly Skywarn training drill/net every week. Whenever the NWS activates Skywarn we run a weather net until the expiration of the NWS warning. I've made several reports of severe weather during those nets. The net control operators then forward it immediately to the NWS so they can incorporate it into forecasts and warnings for towns that are in path of the weather.

I've volunteered to be a net control operator and am just waiting to meet with some of the current net controllers to be shown the procedures.

I think you'll enjoy it! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.