Web Controlled radio at W2LIE.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
Yep - the subject says it all.

I've installed a new radio this past weekend that allows people to use one of my scanners via remote control (currently requires Windows OS)

The new radio is an Icom PCR-100 that can monitor frequencies above 30 Mhz. The radio is located on the Nassau / Suffolk County borders.

There are some pre-programmed banks in the radio now that you can toggle on and off. (NYPD, FDNY, NCFD, NCPD, SCFD, SCPD) You can set the volume, squelch, PL, scan, and hold. You can even use the keypad and punch in your own frequency (just 1) to listen to.

So - park it on Brentwood FDvwhen there is something burning in Suffolk, and then punch in Freeport FD if there is a fire there! - move it to Nassau PD 4/5 when there is a PD Search in Valley Stream, or move it to 162.550 just to see how it works.

The FAQ document is still a work in progress. I need your questions to put it together.

For information on how to install the software, connect, and all that extra stuff, here is a link: W2LIE.net: Content / Category / Web Radio

Edit:
I did forget to add that I will be making this a "premium" section of my site starting September 1st.
There are several reasons -
1. It cost money for the radio
2. It cost money for the software server
3. It cost money for the additional hardware
4. Serious Users will pay, hopefully keeping the troublemakers away from the radio and pissing in everyone's Cheerios.
5. If this was for personal use, I could have just used my Butel software and VPN, but since I put this on the net for everyone else, it required parts 1 - 3 above.

The pricing is described on my site.

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Pretty cool idea, hopefully it won't get abused by knuckleheads. Should prove interesting when there are a few jobs in the area at the same time. Also, you probably should've mentioned up front in your post that you will be charging for access to that feature starting next month.

bezking

Very slick Phil. Just tested by giving my call on one of the local repeaters... Very weird hearing what I sound like on the air. :D

Very low delay and packet-loss, it sounded great overall. The one thing I did notice - no audio on Windows 7 x64... I had to run XP in a VM to get it to pass audio... Just an FYI.

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
Thanks for adding that Chauffeur. I edited my 1st post. Please understand my next few lines are NOT directed at you....

For anyone who complains that I am trying to make a buck on RR, (and by reading enough threads on various forums I will probably see at least one for my thread) all i have to say is...
I've been a RR member since 2004, I'm a Database Admin, and I was a paying member for years here before I started streaming my feeds here. I feed MULTIPLE feeds to Radio Reference - so I am a contributing member to this site - not a drive-by spammer.

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
Very slick Phil. Just tested by giving my call on one of the local repeaters... Very weird hearing what I sound like on the air. :D

Very low delay and packet-loss, it sounded great overall. The one thing I did notice - no audio on Windows 7 x64... I had to run XP in a VM to get it to pass audio... Just an FYI.

maybe a bug on windows media player? interesting.

bezking

maybe a bug on windows media player? interesting.

It's probably the 64-bit arch... I bet the author of the audio client wrote some kind of custom driver for it and the 64 bit is screwing with it... Especially because all the other components worked fine... I could start/stop scan, change freq, etc... just no sound!

Oh, and anybody who pisses on this thread about Phil trying to make a buck off of RR will be met immediately with a double infraction - one for ignoring a Moderator and another for insulting w2lie. I know Phil personally, he would not try to take advantage of anyone here. Thanks for cooperating! :)

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Thanks for adding that Chauffeur. I edited my 1st post. Please understand my next few lines are NOT directed at you....

No worries, that's why I suggested mentioning it up front, so that some chucklehead doesn't come along and cry about it later.

hvscan

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1; en-us; ADR6200 Build/ERD79) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

This is awesome - great job!

Status
Not open for further replies.