Weird Traffic on MPSCS on 9/3/23, VanBuren County

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
I was in South Haven on Sunday, 9/3/23, and was hearing some weird, random traffic on MPSCS. I was receiving traffic on H EVENT 26 (1035), H EVENT 28 (1037), MSP 3 (1007), and one of the MPSCS "Demo" talkgroups (one of the ones in the 1300's, I didn't catch which one). The "Demo" TG had a couple of fire calls being dispatched by the creepy female computer voice (similar to northwestern Indiana). I figured someone was doing some testing in preparation of switching fire dispatching over to the MPSCS, so I didn't think much of that. But then I started getting police-type traffic on the other talkgroups. There was a pursuit which lasted about 20-30 minutes on H EVENT 28. They mentioned street names of 76th, 68th, and Shelby, and also mentioned "going back to the Firestone on 76th" after the pursuit was over. (The suspects fled on foot, the female officer calling out the pursuit & her partner got 2 in custody, another officer got one, and a fourth was still outstanding.) This didn't sound like training, this sounded like the real deal. Again, I wasn't paying a lot of attention, but then I started looking at the radio ID's to see which department this was, and that's when it got weird. The RID's all started with "4", and the next 2 digits were either 12, 14, or 15. So I thought "Okay, Branch and Cass - both in District 5. Maybe some joint task force thing. But 15? CHARLEVOIX?????" And Zone 4? Branch and Cass are both in Zone 3. But wait, there's more: All of this traffic was being carried on the same site: The Zone 3 Site On Wheels. This wasn't ducting from across the lake, because the dispatcher who was answering the units on the pursuit was giving the time, which matched with EDT. And yes, I've checked my programming.

Anybody have any theories? I'd even settle for a Wild-A$$ Guess carried out to 2 decimal places....

ffexpCP

wizard of odd
Database Admin
Maybe they patched some other live TG to a event tg to send to the SOW for testing? I've patched active systems to staged systems (or live systems for maintenance) just to get some traffic across it for testing...

dispatchgeek

Control channel goes "brrrrr"
Between the cornfields and the pastures, Michigan.
I can't account for the time issue, I am however confident your were getting traffic from the OASIS system in suburban Milwaukee County.
There is a Firestone Tire on 76th street in Greenfield Wisconsin. TG 1035 and TG 1037 belong to Greenfield PD, TG 1007 is Franklin, WI PD, and the 1300 series TGs are all agency interop talkgroups. There are a handful of shared frequencies, including a shared control channel with the Zone 3 SOW.

Organization of Affiliated Secure Interoperable RF Subsystems (OASIS)

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
I can't account for the time issue, I am however confident your were getting traffic from the OASIS system in suburban Milwaukee County.
There is a Firestone Tire on 76th street in Greenfield Wisconsin. TG 1035 and TG 1037 belong to Greenfield PD, TG 1007 is Franklin, WI PD, and the 1300 series TGs are all agency interop talkgroups. There are a handful of shared frequencies, including a shared control channel with the Zone 3 SOW.

Organization of Affiliated Secure Interoperable RF Subsystems (OASIS)
That had to be it. I can't imagine what else it could have been. The patched talkgroups theory makes sense, but why use a SOW? Maybe I was misunderstanding the times, and they actually were an hour behind. (Time seems to pass differently when you're next to the Big Lake.)
I hadn't had the chance yet to sit down with the laptop and look at systems over in WI. But that fits. Thanks, @dispatchgeek !

dispatchgeek

Control channel goes "brrrrr"
Between the cornfields and the pastures, Michigan.
That had to be it. I can't imagine what else it could have been. The patched talkgroups theory makes sense, but why use a SOW? Maybe I was misunderstanding the times, and they actually were an hour behind. (Time seems to pass differently when you're next to the Big Lake.)
I hadn't had the chance yet to sit down with the laptop and look at systems over in WI. But that fits. Thanks, @dispatchgeek !
I also looked at the Wiki section of the Milwaukee County RR page. All of the RIDs you captured appear to fall in line with OASIS RIDS. That was it.