Weird Transmissions on 154.400

emsflyer84

Premium Subscriber
Hey all, just tonight I’m picking up radio traffic on 154.400 with PL 136.5. Only agencies registered to it in NH is Wolfeboro FD Tac and Twin State Fire Dispatch. They share the same PL tone. Transmissions are very far away and hard to hear but it’s been going on all evening. I was able to make out something about “ three axles on each side of the train” and “tubing attached to the black piece that goes along side the green piece” among a few other bits a pieces but can’t tell who it is or what they’re really talking about. Describing something technical or mechanical. Then I’d hear “car 1 to utility 2, car 1 switching to town digital” randomly and that would come in clear. Heard that same thing like 5 times. Strange part is I’ve been scanning this frequency for years and never heard anything. Anyone else listening? Any thoughts? My friend who lives close to me is picking up the same stuff on his scanner all of a sudden. Both of us have roof antennas with good range so we know it’s not close to us in Wolfeboro.

emsflyer84

Premium Subscriber
Very odd. Maybe something from Maine? Here in Littleton only Twin State coming over 154.400mhz.
Thanks for checking in. I did a frequency search in all New England states, only the two agencies I mentioned plus one dispatch center in VT come up. I’m pretty sure I can’t pick up Twin State from here either… It’s quiet now, but was going on for a few hours.

emsflyer84

Premium Subscriber
click on the callsign and then look for frequencies in the header.
i will PM it to you.
Got it, thanks. What confuses me is the PL tones. How could I be picking any of this up unless they’re using the same tones as the agencies I mentioned above? Maybe some of them are?

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
Are you sure you're not hearing Franklin Public Works from the top of Ragged Mountain on 154.4075 ? They may be operating a DPL, and perhaps you think you're getting 136.5 Hz, but in fact you're detecting the DPL shut off (which is 134 Hz, and shows up on 136.5 Hz on Uniden scanners).

ecps92

Are you sure you're not hearing Franklin Public Works from the top of Ragged Mountain on 154.4075 ? They may be operating a DPL, and perhaps you think you're getting 136.5 Hz, but in fact you're detecting the DPL shut off (which is 134 Hz, and shows up on 136.5 Hz on Uniden scanners).
Mike I was also going to suggest the OP check +/- that primary freq for other activity as well.

Interesting in his notes that one unit was switching to "town digital"

emsflyer84

Premium Subscriber
I'll check into this, thanks. Haven't heard this again since I made the post.

jmarcel66

Feed Provider
Exeter Fire used to also dispatch on 154.400/136.5 and may still have radios on it. Remote possibility, but still there.

As for the DPL 134Hz shut off. It expands beyond uniden scanners. NH DOT had a repeater using DPL that was keying another repeater they had on the same frequency pair that used 131.8 or 136.5 (I forget which) every time the field unit would unkey.