Well I've owned many unidens over my years but I'm out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
Can you program the "Unication" by hand or is it strictly software...….Also does it have a built in battery or can you use standard rechargables….TY

Software only and it’s not like scanner programming

Sent from my iPhone 8 using Tapatalk Pro
Jason WX4JCW
XPR7550 - SDS100

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Notice I specified "certified/approved" rather than just "certified". EAB rules are still promulgated and enforced by the FAA, so while your discount avionics bypass the full FAA certification process and the associated costs, they still must comply with FAA rules, which are more stringent than what's applied to typical consumer electronics (e.g. "Garmin must state that they meet the same performance standards they require of certified equipment").

I don't think Garmin considers themselves a "discount avionics" manufacturer, nor do aviation professionals, airframers, and just about anyone familiar with general, commercial or military aviation. Their G3X / Experimental line of avionics do not "bypass" any applicable regulations, in fact some of their avionics they developed for experimental aircraft are being TSO'd for installation into certified aircraft.

The point is I can buy (and install) a fully compliant aviation radio transceiver for $1,000 that is equivalent in manufacturing and performance tolerances to anything Motorola or Harris produces, and in my opinion, has a far superior build and materials qualirty than consumer radios like the SDS100 that are roughly the same cost, certainly not 10x as you claimed (although aviation radios *can* be quite expensive.)

Last edited:

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Can you program the "Unication" by hand or is it strictly software...….Also does it have a built in battery or can you use standard rechargables….TY

The Unication G5 has a lithium battery that is more or less proprietary, so no standard rechargeables. You can buy a drop-in charger for the radio, but you can also use a USB cable like the SDS100.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
Unication's are good, no one disputes that, i liked the G4 but for me it was too much of a pain, Having to pay for Phase 2, code plug limitations, no talk group hold, if you travel you have to program a new code plug each time you go to a different area, there is a wildcard search and you have to make sure the NAC/WACN/SYSID are all good in your information, cant dispute the reception, and for me my SDS100's reception is on par with my G4, and because uniden had design issues i get 2 batteries :), and for the first time i can listen to 800mhz with a stock antenna on a scanner

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
The Unication G5 has a lithium battery that is more or less proprietary, so no standard rechargeables. You can buy a drop-in charger for the radio, but you can also use a USB cable like the SDS100.

Sounds like a deliberate captive service ploy so Unication and/or their dealers can over charge Public Safety Departments for batteries they can't buy elsewhere. :roll:

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like a deliberate captive service ploy so Unication and/or their dealers can over charge Public Safety Departments for batteries they can't buy elsewhere. :roll:

Just like Motorola

Sent from my iPhone 8 using Tapatalk Pro
Jason WX4JCW
XPR7550 - SDS100

Nasby

Uniden was one of the pioneer scanner manufacturers to use overpriced proprietary Nicads.

Remember the BC 100 / 200 XLT's ? (just to name two).

Great scanners but when the Nicads went bad, you had to open your wallet wide for a Uniden Nicad battery pack.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Uniden was one of the pioneer scanner manufacturers to use overpriced proprietary Nicads.

Great scanners but when the Nicads went bad, you had to open your wallet wide for a Uniden Nicad battery pack.

That's not the only thing you had to open wide :)

pb_lonny

I have also given up on Uniden but in my case it is due to the total lack of support for the Australian scanner market. No DMR for the UBCD436-PT was the end for me...

seth21w

Unication's are good, no one disputes that, i liked the G4 but for me it was too much of a pain, Having to pay for Phase 2, code plug limitations, no talk group hold, if you travel you have to program a new code plug each time you go to a different area, there is a wildcard search and you have to make sure the NAC/WACN/SYSID are all good in your information, cant dispute the reception, and for me my SDS100's reception is on par with my G4, and because uniden had design issues i get 2 batteries :), and for the first time i can listen to 800mhz with a stock antenna on a scanner

I heard that yeah I bought mine on sale for 535 new with the latest p2 firmware.

mule1075

Feed Provider

My xlt series batteries lasted a great while. That includes the 2500/3000. I guess it was 6 to 7 years before I had to buy new battery packs at $29.95. The alternative was buy a new scanner for more than the price of the battery you needed to keep the scanner running.

Nasby

My xlt series batteries lasted a great while. That includes the 2500/3000. I guess it was 6 to 7 years before I had to buy new battery packs at $29.95. The alternative was buy a new scanner for more than the price of the battery you needed to keep the scanner running.

Yep. Can you say "ripoff?"

I think those days are in the rear view mirror with Uniden now though.

SOFA_KING

And Harris and Kenwood and RELM and...oh yeah, Uniden with the SDS100. :roll:

Checkmate!

IMO, it was a mistake to make it a proprietary "pack" design. I visioned a Li Ion individual cell approach and drop-in smart charger with contacts on the bottom of the scanner for each cell inside (so they can be individually conditioned). Then 4 cell slots on the back of the charger to keep another set charging "on the back burner"...charger powered by 12 VDC for home (wallwart) or mobile use. Take that a step (or two) further and make it a deep enough pocket that can be used to mount the scanner-in-charger in a car...and have audio contacts next to the battery contacts to port audio to an "optional" amplified speaker (also powered by the charger's 12 V power on the same speaker cable). There is your "mobile solution" right there, as well as a flexible "non-proprietary" battery and charger solution! That would be a "win win win" all the way around.

There were so many things they could have done, and even made a little money on, as useful accessories that would be very attractive. I don't know why they didn't. Maybe the "next" line of scanners??? Unfortunately, that will probably be many years from now. Lost opportunity. :(

Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.