Wellbrook ALA1530 Active Loop Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandon

Database Admin
I am curious if any RR members are using this antenna and what they think of it?
Active Loop Antenna ALA1530 reduces local interference on shortwave, medium wave, long wave

So far it has great reviews from various magazines/websites.

Looks like an ideal solution for limited space installations. I currently use a PAR End Fed SWL antenna which works great but have been plagued by heavy QRM on the lower bands.

Turbo68

I will be buying one at some stage but i heard a lot of good things about this antenna and the other thing u have to consider is at least it will remove a lot of electrical noise and interference on hf.

Regards Lino.

smason

The guys on the Yahoo SWL group
Shortwave-SWL-Antenna yahoogroups.com
seem to think that it's awesome. You may want to look at the archives of that group for info.

E-Man

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Wellbrook ALA-1530 has been on my wish list for a long time.

Please report back and let us know how you like it :) Thanks

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the link Brandon. I bet shipping for this loop would be a killer from the UK.
I wouldn't mind getting one of these!

Ron

Turbo68

I have emailed Wellbrook about the ALA1530 antenna and there response was very quick and i am in australia its going to cost with shipping 210 british pounds and by the time u convert it to aussie dollars it will be around 470 dollars i hope it will be worth it if it works because i havent enjoyed hf aero for a long time and i have spent money on a lot of different hf antennas and the only seems i am picking up a lot of interference and i will give a report in a few months.

Regards Lino.

ALINCO-DJX2000
AOR-3000/AOR-3000A/AOR-8200MK3
GRE-PSR500
ICOM-R3/ICOM-RX7/ICOM-R20/ICOM-PCR1000/ICOM-PCR1500/ICOM-PCR2500/ICOM-R9500
REALISTIC-PRO2035
UNIDEN-245/UNIDEN-396/UNIDEN-780
YAESU-VX7R/YAESU-FT8800R/YAESU-VR500

APSN556

Premium Subscriber
I have been using the ALA1530 for 2 years now with a drake R8B. I live in a community where there are restrictions on antennas. I have the ALA sitting on top of a bookshelf inside my shack and it works amazing. It is expensive and it did take a few weeks to arrive, but worth it. Its the best active loop out there in my opinion.

APSN556

Premium Subscriber
Hello Chad whats the Wellbrook-ALA1530 antenna like to monitor hf utilities.

Regards Lino.

I use the AL1530S+ I recommend spending the extra few bucks for the aluminum plus version. I primarily use the Drake r8B and 1530 for utility LSB/USB HF monitoring. I'm not all the big on am broadcasts- but the 1530 shines in the area as well. To answer your question though, its fantastic for hf utility stuff. much better than any other antenna I have used.

brandon

Database Admin
Well I just bit the bullet and purchased the ALA1530S+ from The Shortwave Shop
I am pretty excited about trying this antenna and will report back on how it performs. I appreciate everyone's feedback and assistance.

brandon

Database Admin
Just to update this thread I finally have the Wellbrook ALA1530S+
Had a few delays/other expenses so I didn't actually get it ordered until late June. Took about 3 weeks or so to deliver to the USA. I have to say this antenna is absolutely worth the money. I am totally blown away at the performance... super quiet noise floor across the band (even on 160m!) and signals just boom in. Right now I am listening to Nadi, Fiji MWARA freq on 8867 and it sounds fantastic, both aircraft and controller. In the past 5 mins I also monitored Auckland Volmet, Royal NZ Air Force and Shannon Volmet. Looks like the bands are open!

E-Man

Banned
Fantastic, glad to hear its performing well. How do you have it mounted?

brandon

Database Admin
Right now its just leaning against the fence on the back hill. I plan to mount it on a 5ft pole and use a rotor to position it.

Turbo68

I received my Wellbrook ALA1530 Aluminium Active Loop Antenna its packed well and i took 2 weeks exactly to get tomorrow i will be picking up a regulated 12 vollt DC 500ma max power supply and that was confirmed when i rang Andy Ikin and he also said not use a switch mode power supply testing time in the weekend.

Regards Lino.

Last edited:

E-Man

Banned
Awesome, thanks for sharing the pictures. Please let us know how it works out for you when you are all set up. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.