• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

We're just past 45 days. Thoughts on your G4/G5 Phase 2 unit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
I purchased a Unication G5 back in February 2017. I'm located in a tough rf environment of New Jersey surrounded by P25 sinulcast systems including Philadelphia about 17 miles away. Initially I was impressed by the receivability of the Phase 1 systems like Philly which is known to be a headache for scanners. In fact the G5 could regularly receive that system almost 30 miles away, where any scanner would never have a prayer. The lack of functionality (no nuissance delete, UID store), inability to receive Phase 2 at the time, and poor audio quality including an occasional loud screech on P25 voice earned it a temporary spot on the shelf.
After the phase 2 upgrade I was very impressed with the performance of the G5 on Phase 2. No garbling, even on the system 22 miles away! And i found the audio very consistent. On the Harris systems my Uniden BCD436HP would go from barely audible to ear splitting. With the Unication there were still changes but not as pronounced. And i noticed something else. On both phase 1 and 2 I did not hear that horrible shriek even with weak signal. I got an adaptor and a better antenna and can hear 800mhz systems up to 38 miles away which puts any scanner to shame! I can't put it down.
There are still 3 things that would make this unit complete. The ability to temporarily lock out (nuisance delete) a talkgroup, the ability to store voice messages from a wildcard talkgroup, and the ability to store unit ID aliases. Please please Unication David if you're following this post lets see if we can make this a possibility.
I also notice that immediately upon programming my unit and removing from my computer, or turning off and immediately back on that the unit freezes and spontaneously shuts off during a transmission. Usually resetting the unit or waiting about 10 minutes will do the trick but it should not happen. Overall i give the Unication G5 a 9 out of the 10 rating after extensive testing.

tp3244

Got my VHF G5 late last year. I initially ran the Phase 1 firmware then, upgraded to the Phase 1+2. Have had it back from upgrade about a month. Monitoring a couple of different countywide Harris and Motorola simulcast systems (mostly Phase 1, some Phase 2) and it's great, no matter where I go in the county (urban or rural).

I formerly had a HomePatrol-2 and it worked like garbage on said systems unless you drove to a certain spot in the county right near a simulcast tower. At home it was useless; I was ready to throw it out the window. Luckily I calmed down and instead sold the HP-2 on eBay for only a few bucks less than I paid for it (figured I'd get rid of it while it was still worth something....)

Aside from the awesome P25 simulcast reception, #2 thing I love about the G5 that no scanner provides is the form factor; the fact that you can toss it in your pocket no problem without a big stupid antenna sticking out. That's what I hate about the new SDS-100 from Uniden, it may solve the simulcase issue but it's a huge unit with a big ol' antenna. Wonder if Uniden will make a smaller form factor scanner that handles LSM in addition to the SDS-100.

markjrenna

Could not agree more with you regarding the G5. I have a G4 and same wonderful results. I would think you could get a shorter antenna for the SDS100. Is the SDS100 an SMA just like the G5 G4?

GTO_04

Could not agree more with you regarding the G5. I have a G4 and same wonderful results. I would think you could get a shorter antenna for the SDS100. Is the SDS100 an SMA just like the G5 G4?

The SDS100 uses an SMA male antenna just like my 396XT. The G5 uses an SMA female antenna.

GTO_04

radio3353

The SDS100 uses an SMA male antenna just like my 396XT. The G5 uses an SMA female antenna.

GTO_04

A .5" long M/F adapter will solve that problem.

I agree that the G4/G5 size is perfect. As is the stubby antenna. I have a need to just monitor my county's Ph. 2 simulcast system so a small radio is great. Drops right into the cup holder if I am mobile. Never a need to look at it while driving. Never need an external antenna. Something the size of a SDS100 would be way overkill for my needs.

verhoffj1

Premium Subscriber
A .5" long M/F adapter will solve that problem.

I agree that the G4/G5 size is perfect. As is the stubby antenna. I have a need to just monitor my county's Ph. 2 simulcast system so a small radio is great. Drops right into the cup holder if I am mobile. Never a need to look at it while driving. Never need an external antenna. Something the size of a SDS100 would be way overkill for my needs.
Overall I think the unication G4 is great but there could be some improvements like a 3.5 mm audio jack, better bluetooth support for linking with Bluetooth speakers. Louded audio for when in vehicles

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
It would be interesting to see if Unication would branch out into the scanner world.
Keep the guts of the G5, modify the housing so its still rugged but not IPxx and add a 3.5mm headset jack to it.
Modify the software to allow more scanner like function with cross system scanning, temp delete and hold buttons.
Scanner people need a well built device but not an IPxx device. (sure some do but most dont)

Status
Not open for further replies.